Light of Day

Haha, it seemed so natural to have Gel pick that up and make the style changes more a part of the story. I also like how it’s brought Trudy and Gel closer in an unlikely friendship. One of the things that sometimes frustrated me in the show was that some characters only really interacted with a limited group of people and so couldn’t necessarily grow as characters by forming connections with other tribe members. For instance Danni I feel wasn’t integrated very well within the tribe as a whole and so we never got to see a different side of her. So I try to take this into consideration and show different interactions in this story.

At least we know the virus didn’t get Gel’s rescuer! :wink:

1 Like

I agree! Gel is just the person to give styling Tipps! And design things! I always make her more maturing through that too. Having a real thing “to do” helps people to evolve. I mix persons up a lot too. Making Bray close to Mega and Slade now… Letting him speak more with Alice… Striking up closer bounds between Trudy and Ebony… They all have hone through do much, there is no reason at all why they should always only be friends with certain persons. Giving bounds between other ones, also make the whole Tribe working better in my eyes.

Being fathers for example bounds people too… Or being moms and being able to speak about it. I like to invent surprising friendships… Where would be the fun if we ff writes would just stick with absolutely everything of the series? That would be boring!

Gel would be heartbroken :joy::see_no_evil:

1 Like

I do like the Bray/Mega friendship so far in All of Me. :slight_smile:

Chapter 15: Diagnosis Murder

Jay froze, mouth working as he desperately tried to find the words to explain to Spinner why Trudy and Gel had their arms around him.

‘I’m obviously interrupting…something,’ she said. ‘Maybe I should just go.’

As she turned to leave, her body moving even more gracefully now that she was no longer encumbered with the biohazard suit, he finally managed to wriggle free and rushed over towards her. ‘No, no!’ he blurted out. ‘This is a perfect time!’ Leading her back to the rest of the group he saw that Trudy looked mortified, whereas Gel was calmly putting her tape measures away. Apparently she hadn’t quite grasped the situation, or perhaps she had and just didn’t care. It could be hard to tell the difference when it came to Gel. Lex, meanwhile, had stopped laughing at Jay’s misfortune long enough to scowl at Spinner, who wasn’t paying him any attention at all.

‘Um, Spinner this is Trudy and Gel. You’ve already met Lex. Gel, Trudy, this is Spinner, an old friend of mine.’

‘Less of the old, thank you!’ she joked. ‘Although I suppose in this day and age…anyway, I’m sorry I’m late.’

‘I thought maybe you weren’t coming.’

‘It was touch and go with Cable for a while. He took a lot more convincing than I thought, and then I got distracted by my work, you know how it is. Or was, rather. We’ve made a lot of progress; I reckon the virus will be safe by the time I get back.’

‘That’s great news!’

‘Yeah, it is. But that’s not why I’m here, is it? Where’s the patient?’ She held up a large chrome-coloured box that he hadn’t noticed at first, that obviously contained whatever instruments and equipment she needed to examine Jack.

‘He’s upstairs,’ he answered. ‘Just follow me and I’ll take you to him. I’ll have to run the idea past his girlfriend first though.’

Spinner rolled her eyes. ‘Now you tell me. You know, Cable won’t be very impressed if I’ve come all the way out here for nothing, Jay.’

‘I know. I’m sorry, I guess I just hadn’t thought everything through when I asked you.’

‘Relax Jay, I understand.’

He began to climb the stairs, followed by Spinner and Lex.

‘Gel, can you watch the kids for a bit?’ Trudy asked before joining them. Gel nodded, squealing when she turned around to find Brady and Bonnie throwing her sketches up in the air and dancing around underneath the falling paper.

When he reached the top of the stairs, Jay went straight to Jack’s room and stuck his head through the thin curtain. Ellie sat by Jack’s bed holding his hand and running her fingers through his mousy brown hair. Her eyes were red and swollen from crying.

‘Ellie?’ Jay said quietly.

‘Huh? Oh, it’s you Jay. Come on in.’ He entered the room, followed by the other three. Trudy immediately went over to Ellie and put her arm around her. ‘Hey Trudy. Still no change.’ She sighed and received a squeeze and a sympathetic smile from the other girl.

‘Just give it time, honey,’ Trudy said confidently.

Ellie looked around the room as if seeing it for the first time, a look of confusion on her face when she saw the Techno woman. Jay thought he had better introduce them.

‘Ellie this is Spinner,’ he said. ‘She’s a Techno, a friend of mine. I asked her here because I thought she might be able to help Jack.’ Ellie’s eyes suddenly lit up and Jay prayed he was not giving her false hope. ‘She’s agreed to have a look at him, if that’s alright with you?’

She nodded her head vigorously. ‘Anything! I just want him back!’ Jay nodded to Spinner and she stepped forward, putting her case on top of the table by Jack’s bedside.

‘Can I have everyone out of the room please?’ she asked. ‘I work better alone.’

‘There’s no way we’re leaving you alone with Jack and whatever you’ve got in that box!’ Lex shouted.

‘I can’t leave him!’ Ellie cried. ‘Please! I’ll be quiet, you won’t know I’m here!’

Spinner looked mildly irritated but after giving it some thought she pointed at Jay and Ellie. ‘You two can stay,’ she conceded. ‘But keep out of the way; I’ll need to be able to concentrate. You two, out.’ She dismissed Lex and Trudy with a wave of her hand. They looked annoyed but decided there was nothing they could do about it and left the room, Trudy giving Ellie a hug on her way out.

‘I hope you know what you’re doing.’ Lex whispered angrily to Jay before he left.

‘Thank you!’ Ellie gushed as soon as the other two were gone.

‘Don’t thank me yet,’ Spinner said. ‘I can’t promise I’ll be able to do anything for him.’

‘That’s ok, I know you’ll do your best.’

‘I wish everyone else felt that way.’ She flicked open the clasps on the case and opened it, revealing a laptop computer and various accessories, each neatly inhabiting its own space cut into the box’s foamy interior. From one of these spaces she took out a headset that was wired to the computer. Ellie gasped in terror.

‘What are you doing?’ she asked nervously.

‘This is so I can see what’s going on in his head,’ Spinner replied calmly. ‘He won’t feel a thing.’

Ellie looked to Jay. ‘It’s your decision,’ he told her. Hesitantly she nodded her head and Spinner hooked Jack up to the headset. Switching the computer on she logged in and started up the programme she needed. Jay stepped forward so that he could get a better look at what was going on, and he saw an image of a brain appear on the screen. A push of a button and the image moved to the right, a set of axes for a graph appearing alongside it. A box flashed in the centre of the screen with the word ‘ACTIVATE?’ inside it. After checking that all the wires were connected properly, Spinner pressed another key and the programme burst into life. The lights on the headset flashed; three coloured lines appeared on the graph, rising and falling all the time, and the image of the brain rotated showing red blobs flashing in various places. Jay realised Ellie was clinging to him and put an arm around her, while Spinner calmly punched away at the keyboard.

‘What’s happening?’ he heard Ellie whisper. ‘What’s she doing to him?’

‘I’m not sure,’ he whispered back. ‘But it looks to me like she’s monitoring the activity in his brain.’

Spinner raised a hand to silence them, although she did not take her eyes away from the screen. ‘Be quiet back there,’ she said. ‘I need to focus on this!’ She clicked on the image and it enlarged, so that she was looking at an area of Jack’s brain in which there seemed to be very few red blobs. She stood there in silence, peering intently at the screen as if she were searching for something deep inside the image. Ellie and Jay looked at each other but didn’t dare say anything just in case they distracted her and she missed whatever it was she was looking for. Finally she switched off the computer, causing the lights on the headset to go out at the same time. She rubbed her eyes and turned around to face the two Mallrats.

‘What’s wrong with him?’ Ellie asked. ‘Did you do anything? Is he going to be okay?’

‘I’ve been looking at what’s going on in his brain,’ Spinner replied. ‘And I’m satisfied that his condition is stable.’ She removed the headset from Jack and placed it carefully back inside its compartment before calmly continuing. ‘As things stand I would say there is only a twenty percent chance of recovery.’ she said. Ellie burst into tears and looked like she was about to run for the door. ‘However,’ she continued, stopping Ellie in her tracks. ‘With your help I believe that this figure can be significantly increased.’

‘Stop playing games with me!’ Ellie snapped. ‘Just tell me what I have to do to get him back!’

‘It’s not going to be easy for you. It could take a while for him to fully recover, if he ever does.’

‘Listen lady, we have been through so much together and Jack has never given up on me. I’m not just going to ditch him now, as soon as the tables are turned and he’s the one who needs me. Now are you going to stand there and keep beating around the bush or are you actually going to help him?’

‘Ellie!’ Jay whispered, but Spinner seemed amused.

‘That’s the spirit,’ she said. ‘I don’t know how he puts up with you but you’ve certainly got the determination to pull this off. One thing, though; if you want my help you’re going to have to show me some respect, got it?’

Ellie folded her arms and stared back at Spinner defiantly, but eventually relented with a roll of her eyes and the barest of nods. ‘I’m sorry,’ she mumbled reluctantly.

‘Well, I guess that’s the best I’m going to get. Now, back to your little problem.’ Jay could see that Ellie wasn’t happy with Spinner referring to Jack as her little problem, but she wisely held her tongue, which impressed him. ‘I believe,’ Spinner continued. ‘Although I can’t be sure, that Jack here is perfectly healthy, apart from the area of his brain controlling movement. It seems that when he integrated with the computer’s systems he went too far and something, I don’t know…shifted, I guess, in his brain, essentially blocking off the signals to the rest of his body. I did notice some very faint signals getting through, however, so there’s still hope.’

‘What exactly are you saying?’

‘I’m saying he’s not unconscious as such, merely paralysed.’

‘Big deal! What difference does that make?’

‘I think what Spinner’s trying to say,’ said Jay. ‘Is that Jack is still aware of everything that’s going on around him. He should be able to hear everything we’re saying, even if he can’t feel anything.’

‘That’s right, and if you and Jack work together there’s a fair chance he’ll be able to regain control of that part of his brain.’

‘I’m listening,’ Ellie said.

‘Good, and you listen too, Jack. Now Ellie, I want you to do exercises with him every day, moving his arms and legs, that kind of thing. Make sure you tell him where you are touching and what you are doing exactly as you do it. Jack, when Ellie tells you what she is doing I want you to try and do the same. I can’t make any guarantees but hopefully that will help re-establish the connection between brain and body.’

‘Isn’t there a more hi-tech way of helping him? I mean, computers did this to him, surely they can fix him too?’

‘There’s the possibility of using electrical pulses to artificially stimulate the dysfunctional part of his brain, but it’s risky and could do more harm than good. Besides, with the power still out I don’t have enough battery power to be able to do that. Maybe in a couple of days, but one thing I’ve learned in the last two days is that technology can’t solve everything. I think the old fashioned way will be safer and more reliable in the long run, even though it will take longer and involve a lot of hard work, especially for Jack.’

‘We can do it,’ Ellie said, resuming her position by Jack’s bedside and putting a hand on his shoulder. ‘Thank you.’

While Ellie started working with Jack on his exercises, Jay took Spinner to one side so as not to disturb them. ‘There’s something I’ve been wanting to ask you,’ he said quietly.

‘Really?’ Spinner said, giving a suggestive smile. Her eyes twinkled mischievously causing Jay to temporarily forget what he was going to say.

‘Um…have you…have you heard of a Techno called Elsa?’ he asked, wiping sweat from his brow.

‘It is rather warm in here, isn’t it?’ she said, unzipping her uniform a little. ‘Here, let me help you with yours. These zips always have a habit of sticking, don’t they?’ Despite his stammered protests that it wasn’t necessary she did the same with his uniform, her hand lingering a while on his chest.

‘There, isn’t that better?’ she said.

‘Ah, no…not really. Do…do you know her?’

Spinner pouted. ‘She must be very special for you to be so interested in her.’

‘She’s dead.’

‘Oh.’ Spinner’s voice became more serious and spots of colour appeared on her cheeks. ‘The name does sound familiar,’ she admitted. ‘But I couldn’t put a face to the name.’

Jay pulled Elsa’s identity card out from behind his belt and handed it to Spinner. ‘You don’t have to. Do you recognise her?’

Spinner frowned. ‘No, but I can scan this on the computer and see what it tells us.’ She took a small handheld gadget out of her case and pushed the card into a slot in one side of the machine. It beeped and a file appeared on the computer screen which Spinner read through with interest. ‘Aha!’ she said finally. ‘That’s why her name sounded so familiar. She was one of a group of Technos that went missing towards the end of Ram’s leadership. Officially they ran away because they couldn’t hack it in the tribe, but the truth is we have no idea what happened or where they went. The strange thing was that from what I’ve heard none of them really knew each other, and their friends claimed to know nothing about what happened, although that was hardly surprising. I didn’t take it any further though. I knew better than to pry into things like that.’

‘And nobody ever heard anything about them after that?’

Spinner laughed. ‘Even if they ran away, did you ever look a Virt in the eye on patrols? Well, maybe you did, but the average Techno wouldn’t. If they were in Virt clothing they could have done Riverdance in front of one of us and still not have been noticed.’

‘I suppose so.’

‘How did she die?’

‘I’m not sure. There was a mark just here on her right arm where it looked like she’d been injecting herself with something.’ He indicated the location of the mark on his own arm. ‘But it doesn’t mean that’s what she died of.’

Spinner frowned and checked the file again. ‘Actually, I think that was very likely the cause of death. She was right-handed, so she would have injected into her left arm. It looks like she was murdered.’

2 Likes

I really like the character Spinner. I think she is a great character. You are very good at writing this story. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @Beth! Originally these Techno characters were just a means to an end, a way of keeping the power on in the city, but I grew to like them and started including them more in the wider story. I’m currently reading ahead to refresh my memory before writing more (on chapter 30 of 35 so far, and there is an incomplete chapter 36 that was never uploaded anywhere), and there is lots of exciting stuff in store for Spinner and the rest of the Techno team!

1 Like

I am glad that they started getting included in the wider story. I really like Spinner so far, but i am hoping to read more of the other Techno’s too. That is good. I always look forward to your updates on the story. I can’t wait to read what else is in store for Spinner, and the rest of Techno team. I am looking forward to it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol… Want to know what always makes me laugh a bit? Spinner… In German “Spinner” means something like crazy idiot :joy::see_no_evil:

And wow… You wrote 35 chapters, started 36 and then stopped…?! Happy you found back inspiration, that way I get to read something too. Instead of only writing. I am currently struggling with chapter 26 of ALL OF ME. (Going to post chapter 17 tomorrow) I never was so far ahead with writing before posting. But it is pretty cool, for then I can change things if they don’t suit me anymore :joy: It is just a struggle right now to give all characters room and some part. Actually that shouldn’t be one Bramber.
. But well… The heart gets what it desires​:joy::see_no_evil:

Was that dead Techno girl always named Elsa or is that more resent as a reference to Frozen?

OH and I like that you obviously research the things you write about too! What Spinner suggests them to do for Jack! Good idea!

I hadn’t thought of that before but I think Spinner can have the same meaning in English as a pejorative. I think I initially found all the Techno names in a list of random computer-related words and I thought it fit the character. I liked the double meaning of a spider spinning a web and how nobody ever quite knows whether they can trust her or not.

The stopping was a gradual thing really. I started this story back in 2005 when I was still at university and had a lot more time on my hands. The later chapters also get a lot longer so took more time to write. Chapters 34 and 35 were posted a year apart (2011 and 2012).

So yeah, that timescale also answers your question about Elsa - that was always her name. I probably wouldn’t have called her that if I was writing it now! Again, I think it was some kind of computer acronym that was also a recognisable name.

I’m not sure how much actual research I did on the brain stuff but I did try to make it sound at least semi-plausible! I know I had various notes and photos relating to people, costumes and locations. The power station for example, which appears later on but has been talked about in one of the chapters above, is based on photos of the inside of the abandoned Battersea Power Station in London.

Ah, so All of Me is currently at chapter 17? Then I’m not quite as far behind as I thought I was! I’m catching up slowly! I like how it’s so global, I don’t think anyone’s tried to do that before.

1 Like

Wow so long ago… But actually that was with the first version of THE WORLD WE LIVE IN NOW too. Started in on the old BB and was still studying then! So it’s a lifetime ago somehow.

Yes I like the global stuff. Did that with WORLD WE LIVE IN NOW too, but there more on the level that the world was united by an organization of tribes… In ALL OF ME its more about those mighty tribes mostly made up from children of criminals who get all the good things for themselves and misuse the weaker ones. I always thought that the MALL RATS live rather “safe” in their city. Without a clue what is maybe going on in the rest of the world. So I like the idea others coming back and having way more knowledge about outside now. Most having even faced more worse things then the Tribe has. I am concentrating in abuse of different areas, drugs, addiction to games and alcohol. But also death and facing their own flaws and wrong doings. Facing the consequences.

Today I splitters chapter 19 up and wrote things in that weren’t in before. Tomorrow I then ei write chapter 20 with an part that before belonged to chapter 19…that of course means all chapters after get another numbering… It’s really challenging that story :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Chapter 16: Trust

Jay stood speechless, trying to take in what Spinner had just said. Elsa was murdered? Why would somebody do that during the evacuation? Spinner herself seemed unfazed by the situation, taking the identity card out of the reader and quietly packing away her things.

‘Do you mind if I keep this?’ she asked, holding the card up.

‘Um, yeah, go ahead,’ he replied absently. ‘I don’t have any use for it. How can you be so calm?’

‘She’s dead, Jay. Worrying about how it happened isn’t going to change anything.’

‘Aren’t you even a little concerned that whoever did it might still be out there?’

‘For all they knew, the virus was about to break out. If they did hang around they’re either very brave or very stupid. I’ll keep an eye out for anything suspicious but with nothing else to go on I don’t imagine I’ll get very far. Oh, and I think we should keep this to ourselves. Cable’s got enough on his mind at the moment without having to deal with a murdered Techno.’

‘If you say so, but don’t you think it would make it easier if…’

‘I can handle it, Jay. Trust me. I know Cable and he won’t be impressed if I dump this on him now. Maybe when everything is back to normal. Now if you don’t mind I’d better be going now, I have a lot of work to do. I’ll see myself out.’ She walked out of the door, barely acknowledging Ellie, who appeared to have finished helping Jack with his exercises for now. He thought that if there had been a door, Spinner would have slammed it.

‘What’s crawled into her uniform?’ Ellie asked, coming closer. ‘And what’s all this about a Techno being murdered?’

‘You heard all that? I thought you were supposed to be helping Jack.’

‘I was!’ she said defensively, angrily flicking her long blonde hair behind one ear. ‘Anyway, it was pretty hard not to hear what you were saying. You weren’t exactly being discreet.’

‘Oh. Well, it’s nothing to worry about,’ he said, aware that his tone of voice made it sound like he was saying it was none of her business. ‘Spinner’s got everything under control. I’d better go and see her out.’

‘Men!’ Ellie complained as he slipped past her towards the door. ‘Don’t forget it’s Amber you’re supposed to be with!’ he heard her call out after him. Paying little attention to her he left the room as quickly as he could, almost tangling himself in the flimsy curtain across the empty doorframe, in his haste to catch up with Spinner before she disappeared.

‘And so the big bad wolf cried out to the three little pigs inside the house…’ Trudy narrated, turning the page of the book she was reading to Brady. As she did so she caught sight of Spinner coming down the stairs looking pleased with herself. The Techno woman smiled towards where Trudy was sitting on the edge of the fountain and she smiled back, the smile immediately turning to a scowl the moment Spinner’s back was turned.

‘Tramp!’ she muttered under her breath.

‘Not right Mommy!’ Brady giggled. ‘He say “I huff and I puff and I blooooow your house down!”’

‘Of course he does, darling.’ Trudy said. ‘Silly Mommy.’

‘Silly Mommy!’ Brady agreed. Although she couldn’t read yet, the little girl had made her mother read this story to her so many times that she had memorised the words and knew exactly when to turn the page. Trudy had often found herself being corrected for turning two pages at once, or for saying the wrong word.

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed that Spinner was loitering around the main grille, as if she were waiting for something. On a hunch, she turned her gaze to the top of the stairs and, sure enough, in a matter of moments a figure appeared at the top of the stairs – Jay. The Techno woman turned around to meet him, as if he had just caught her before she walked out of the mall, wearing that sickeningly self-satisfied smile again.

‘Spinner! Wait!’ Jay called as he raced down the stairs two at a time. ‘I’m sorry about what I said. Please, at least let me see you out.’

Ugh, how pathetic , she thought.

‘Mommy, Mommy! Finish story!’ Brady called, tugging at her mother’s clothes but to no avail, as Trudy closed the book and put it to one side.

‘Not now Brady,’ she said. ‘Finish tidying up Gel’s drawings first.’

‘Not fair Mommy!’ Brady pouted. ‘Why not Bonnie?’

Trudy sighed. ‘Well if I could find her then you’d both be tidying it all up. Now don’t argue, the sooner you get started the sooner it will all be done and we can finish the story, but not before you’ve said sorry to Gel. She’s very upset, you know those drawings mean a lot to her.’ In reality, Trudy thought that Gel had taken the whole thing way too seriously, rushing off to her room in a flood of tears, but the girls had done wrong and she deserved an apology from them.

‘But Bonnie!’ Brady persisted, screwing up her face.

‘Yes, yes, sweetie, Bonnie will have to apologise too!’ Trudy answered, loud enough for Bonnie to hear if, as she suspected, the girl was hiding somewhere nearby. Brady seemed to realise that this was the best she could hope for and stopped complaining, reluctantly beginning to sort through the trampled sheets of paper on the floor. Trudy took this opportunity, naturally, to listen in on what Jay and Spinner were saying.

‘…glad you came after me actually,’ Spinner was telling him. ‘There’s something I forgot to mention earlier. It must have slipped my mind with all the talk about Elsa.’ Trudy wondered who or what Elsa was.

‘What is it?’ Jay asked. ‘Something about Jack?’

‘No. I told you everything I could about him. It’s about the people who left the city.’

‘Are they starting to come back already?’

‘No, but they could be here sooner than you think.’ Trudy thought Spinner looked like she was enjoying stringing Jay along, telling him as little as possible and making him ask for more. She wondered if the Techno knew Arto, the trader’s bodyguard.

‘How?’ Jay asked, too transfixed to realise what the little witch was doing. ‘Have you heard something?’

‘I’ve been talking to Tag, and he thinks we can restore enough power to run CityNet again, starting tonight.’

‘That’s great,’ he replied. ‘I never dreamed you’d have it up so quickly, but I still don’t get it. Even if you issued a broadcast it wouldn’t reach anybody outside the city.’

‘Some who are still hiding out in the city, maybe, but that’s not the best part. Tag reckons he can convince Cable to send people out in trucks and put the broadcast out through the speakers. What do you think of that?’

‘It might work,’ Jay said thoughtfully, although not sounding entirely convinced. ‘And it would certainly be in Cable’s best interests for him to be seen to be doing something positive like that. You’d have to have somebody the people trusted making the broadcast though. They won’t come back if they think the Technos are still in power.’

‘Who do you suggest?’

‘Well, ordinarily I’d say Amber, but I don’t think she would be up to doing something like that. Not yet, anyway.’

‘Well who else could do it? I mean, Amber can’t be the only person in the city the people trust.’ Spinner was frowning, but her eyes told Trudy that she already knew exactly who could do it. She just wanted Jay to suggest it first so she could say it had been his idea all along. Sure enough, he fell for it.

‘I guess it’ll have to be me,’ he said slowly, and Spinner grinned.

‘That’s a wonderful idea, Jay!’ she gushed. ‘This city will be alive and kicking again in no time! I’m going to go straight back to the hotel to tell Cable and Tag the good news. I’ll let you know what’s happening once we’ve settled in at the power station.’ She gave him a peck on the cheek and giggled before departing. ‘And make sure Jack gets his exercise!’ she added on her way out. A flabbergasted Jay was left standing alone, touching his cheek where her lips had brushed his skin and watching her swaying hips vanish out of the building. Trudy decided it was time to bring him back down to Earth, so she stood up and walked around the fountain to where he was standing, clearing her throat to get his attention. Colour bloomed in his cheeks and he hastily moved his hand away from his face. She was glad that he had at least had the decency to be ashamed.

‘Trudy! I, erm…’ He gave a weak laugh and nervously scratched his head. ‘I didn’t see you there.’

‘So it seems,’ she replied, giving him a dark look. ‘You were too busy staring at…her!’ she finished in a disgusted splutter. ‘What is wrong with you Jay? Is Amber not paying you enough attention? How awful for you!’

‘That’s not fair, Trudy!’ he said, sounding hurt, but she was on a roll.

‘Isn’t it? Have you even tried talking to her?’

‘Yes!’ he shouted. ‘And I’m going to keep trying, despite what everyone else seems to think. I mean, what kind of man do you think I am, Trudy?’

She watched as he stormed past her and up the stairs. ‘Where are you going now? Off to sulk?’

‘I’m going to clear my head before I go and see Amber!’

The words hit her like a rock, along with a sudden wave of guilt. She didn’t like to admit it, but perhaps her feelings of loathing towards that hateful woman had clouded her judgement. Jay wasn’t going to leave Amber, especially in her present condition. They loved each other and as much as Trudy wished every day that things could be different, she knew that Amber and Jay were meant to be together. Deciding that she would go and apologise to Jay after they’d both had some time to cool down, she resumed her place on the edge of the fountain and watched Brady straightening out Gel’s drawings and putting them into a neat pile.

Jay sat on the couch in Darryl’s room, his fingers clenched in frustration in his short hair. Darryl himself had left the room in a hurry, stuttering excuses when he had seen the look on Jay’s face. Releasing the grip on his hair, he closed his eyes to think. Trudy had spoken out of line but it was only because she cared about Amber, and he didn’t blame her – or any of the Mallrats for that matter – for not trusting the Technos. There was no excuse for how he had spoken to her, and deep down he knew it had been because there was a grain of truth in what she had said. He did still have feelings for Spinner. He just wished that people would trust him to do the right thing. First Slade, then Ellie and now Trudy. His heart belonged to Amber, and that was where it was going to stay.

Bonnie sat out on the street just outside the mall, crouched down with her back against the wall in between a rubbish skip and a stack of cardboard boxes. She was filthy again and her hair was all over the place. Trying to wipe away a mucky mark from her sleeve – she thought she should at least make a bit of an effort, considering the clothes she was wearing weren’t her own – she only succeeded in making it worse and decided to give it up as a bad job. Among the rubbish was one of her favourite hiding places when she was in trouble, or if she just wanted to get away from someone. Nobody ever thought to look there and by the time she had sneaked back nobody was angry anymore, or else they had been too worried about her to remember what she had done. This time she had managed to upset Gel. She hadn’t meant to, she had just been playing with the older girl’s drawings with Brady. No harm had come to them, well, not really. Maybe a few smudges here and creases there but nothing a heavy book couldn’t fix.

Deciding that Gel would have forgotten about the whole thing by now, she began to stand up. Immediately as she did so she froze as a figure came strolling out of the mall. Fearing that Trudy had come to look for her she crept back into her hiding place carefully and watched as the figure approached. She recognised immediately not Trudy but the pretty Techno woman who had arrived earlier. The woman moved stealthily among the rubbish bins and looked around to make sure nobody was watching her before casually tossing something small into a pile of split bin bags whose insides had spilled out onto the ground. Smiling to herself and dusting her hands off, the Techno carried on down the street, never looking back. Curious, Bonnie waited until the woman was out of sight before diving out from behind the boxes and straight into the pile of rubbish, feeling right at home and not put off in the slightest by the stench of the rotting contents. Finding what she was looking for, she pocketed it and skipped innocently back into the mall.

2 Likes

I like your Trudy… And Ellie… And I liked that Spinner showed Jay his place “evil laughter” In my eyes that guy just has never really gotten what he deserved for playing with Trudy! So in my eyes he can suffer a bit :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Chapter 17: Closure

Slade stood outside Amber’s room, listening to the girl’s quiet, exhausted sobs. He couldn’t remember how long he had been standing there listening to her, but she had been like that the whole time. Part of him wanted to stop intruding on her time of weakness, but the rest of him wanted to go inside and comfort her. Why weren’t her friends with her? The rest of her tribe? He didn’t understand why she was all alone at a time like this, especially after all he had heard she had done for them all. He had originally stopped outside her room as part of his trip around the mall, asking people if they wanted to attend the memorial service he was planning for his brother and Ram, although he had never intended to ask her to come - he wasn’t stupid. Deciding to continue with what he had been doing - he had yet to talk to Salene and May, even though he wasn’t holding out much hope for either of them - he made as if to leave.

‘You’ve been standing there so long,’ Amber’s strained voice came from inside. ‘You could at least come in and show me who you are.’ He hadn’t noticed when she had stopped crying. Torn between pretending he had never been there and complying with the firm but not unkind order, he hesitated a second before pulling back the curtain and walking in. Amber looked surprised. ‘Slade. I have to admit I wasn’t expecting you. You might as well take a seat though.’ She pointed towards the end of the bed. ‘I think I need to talk to someone.’

‘Do you want me to fetch Salene? Or Jay?’

‘I think it might be easier with someone I don’t know as well, who doesn’t know me.’

‘They won’t judge you, Amber. I know I haven’t been with the Mallrats very long, but I’m certain of that.’

‘Still, it’s easier this way, you know? Now sit down before I change my mind!’ Her lips quirked in the beginnings of a smile, one that he might not have noticed had he not been looking for it. Gingerly he perched himself on the end of the bed, unsure as to what he was doing there.

‘So. What did you want to talk about?’

‘How long have you got? I’ve been really stupid haven’t I?’

‘Of course you haven’t,’ he said, surprised. ‘Why would you say that?’

‘I’ve been so selfish. I’ve abandoned my child, cut myself off from the rest of the tribe. They should be celebrating, not worrying about me. They deserve better than that.’

‘You’re the least selfish person I can think of, Amber,’ he replied. ‘That’s why you mean so much to everybody, why they’ll be happy to look after you, if you let them. Everybody goes through rough patches in their lives. You’ve helped them through theirs, now let them do the same for you. That’s what you deserve.’

She tilted her head slightly to one side and studied him for a while, as if seeing something in him that she hadn’t before. It was all rather unnerving for him. ‘Will you and Ebony be staying with us?’ she finally asked.

He shrugged. ‘For the time being,’ he said. He couldn’t give any more answer than that. He wasn’t usually one to stick around in the same place for very long. She nodded, as if she had expected no less. He stood up from the bed. At Amber’s questioning look he explained his departure. ‘I’ve been organising a memorial,’ he said. ‘For Ram and Josh. I still have to ask Salene and May if they want to come.’

‘That’s a nice idea,’ she said. She didn’t mention coming herself and he didn’t ask her. At the doorway he turned and added ‘If there’s one thing I’ve learned in these past few months, it’s that you can’t do everything on your own. You have to let people in. I didn’t realise that at first, and it nearly cost me Ebony. Make sure you don’t lose Jay, he really does love you.’

‘I know,’ she replied, following him to the doorway. ‘Thanks for this Slade.’ Standing on tiptoes she gave him a peck on the cheek and clasped his hands in hers. ‘Could you do one final thing for me?’

‘What is it?’

‘When you see Salene, could you ask her to bring my baby over?’

He smiled and Amber echoed him. ‘Of course I will.’ He left the room with the smile still on his face.

Having cleared his head after his row with Trudy, Jay made his way from Darryl’s room across the hall to Amber’s. Preparing himself for an unwelcome reception - perhaps unwelcome was a strong word, but his last few meetings with her had certainly been unproductive - he was surprised when his knock on the doorframe was met by a fairly cheerful ‘Come in!’. Entering the room he was even more surprised to see her feeding a giggling Bray, or at least trying to. A good portion of the…mush was the only way to describe it really…covered the little guy’s face. Instinctively he crossed the floor to wipe it off with his thumb. Amber handed him a serviette, brushing his fingers with her own as she did so. Sparks seemed to fly up through his fingertips when they touched, warming his whole body. Their eyes locked, making his heart skip a beat, and she smiled. It was a small smile that didn’t touch her eyes, which betrayed the weariness within, but it was a smile nonetheless and he was determined to take all of them he could get.

‘Hey,’ he said softly, not wanting to disturb the mood. Had they just had a ‘moment’? Certainly not what he had expected when he woke up this morning. He wondered what had caused the change in her mood.

‘Hey,’ she replied, settling Bray down in the cot next to the bed. For a while neither of them said anything, and he was beginning to think that perhaps he had been mistaken, when seemingly out of nowhere she threw her arms around him and burst into quiet sobs.

‘What’s wrong Amber?’ he asked, suddenly concerned.

‘I’ve missed you so much, Jay,’ she said, her words muffled due to her head being buried as far into his chest as she could get it.

‘I’ve missed you too,’ he replied, covering her protectively with his arms while he fought to hold back his own tears.

Slade woke with a start, remembering the memorial service he was supposed to be conducting this afternoon – granted it was hardly going to be a full house but he didn’t want those who had said they would be coming to give up and leave before he got there. As he began to put on his clothes he looked over at where Ebony was sleeping peacefully, a contented smile on her face. He seemed to have that effect on women. He stamped his feet into his boots and went to pick up his shirt – how had it managed to get all the way over there? Smirking, he vaguely remembered Ebony throwing it across the room. Just a quick one, she had said, and how long ago had that been? Time meant little to him since the Virus. He shouldn’t have let her talk him into it, although if truth be told there had been very little talking on her part, and even less resistance on his. He buckled his belt and quickly checked his appearance in the mirror Ebony had managed to acquire from somewhere in the mall – looking good as always – before grabbing his rucksack and heading out of the room.

Luckily everybody was still at the Phoenix Statue, although ‘everybody’ consisted of Ruby and Lottie, and it didn’t take a genius to figure out that they had come for Ram rather than Josh. Still, he couldn’t say he was surprised by the turnout, if a little disappointed.

‘Where have you been?’ Lottie moaned. ‘You’re late!’

Ruby elbowed the girl in the ribs. ‘Lottie, that’s rude! You should say sorry to Slade.’

‘Sorry Slade,’ she pouted. Ruby and Slade shared a smile over her sulkiness.

‘Thanks for coming, both of you,’ Slade told them, touching them both on the shoulder. It means a lot to me.’

‘He could be mean, but he was funny,’ Lottie blurted out. ‘I liked him.’ Ram hadn’t been able to stand Lottie most of the time, but in the time they had spent in the saloon at Liberty, he and Ruby had been the nearest the little girl had had to a father and mother since the Virus.

‘I couldn’t let you go through all this alone, could I?’ Ruby said casually, though he suspected that she too had grown fond of Ram in the short time they had known each other, perhaps even more than she would be willing to admit, judging by some of the looks he had seen her give the former Techno leader.

‘I guess we’d better get started then,’ he said, slipping off his bag and opening it up, laying its contents out on the floor. He took out a wad of candles wrapped in a piece of white cloth, a box of matches and a smaller object in another strip of cloth. His hands trembled as he unwrapped this last bundle and gingerly took out a pair of glasses – Josh’s glasses – as if they could break at the slightest touch. As he set the glasses down on the edge of the Phoenix fountain, Lottie pulled out another neatly-wrapped object from her pocket and handed it to Ruby, who proceeded to unwrap it just as carefully as Slade had the glasses.

‘We looked through his stuff like you asked,’ Ruby said, extending the object to him. ‘I thought this would work best.’

He took the object, Ram’s car safety-belt belt-buckle. ‘It’s perfect,’ he told her, putting it next to the glasses, and she smiled thankfully. In silence he arranged the candles around the front half of the fountain’s edge, setting them in glasses borrowed from the café, then lit them and stood back, with Ruby on his left and Lottie on his right. He wasn’t sure at first how he was going to do this, but what he had done so far somehow seemed right. Ruby and Lottie hadn’t complained, at least, and now they were both looking at him expectantly, waiting for him to speak. ‘Josh,’ he finally began. ‘I know everybody keeps telling me I’m not to blame for how you turned out, but I can’t help imagining how things might have been if I’d got back to the caravan sooner. You wouldn’t have lost your trust in people and you wouldn’t have been persuaded to join the Technos. We could have had our own little farm like we used to talk about before all this, before the Virus. Or we could have joined a tribe. Whatever, it doesn’t matter. We would have been together. When I think of all the good you could have done…I should have looked after you, I should never have left you. I’m sorry, Josh.’ The thin pink candles he had found had begun to let off a floral scent that he recognised as roses. Remembering his mother, who always used to smell of the rose-scented soap she used to use, he added ‘Say hi to our parents for me, Josh. Tell them I’ll see them soon, but not just yet.’ No, not yet. He had too much to make up for first. He bowed his head for a few minutes, lost in his own thoughts, before turning to Ruby, who had her eyes closed and her own head bowed. ‘Ruby,’ he said. ‘Do you want to say anything? For Ram? Ruby?’

Ruby opened her eyes, that Slade saw were shining with tears, and stared at the belt-buckle. ‘Trust you to go and get yourself killed,’ she said. ‘Just when I was starting to like you!’ She ended in a burst of tears, one hand over her mouth to muffle her sobs and holding herself with the other. He put an arm around her and she fell into his comforting hold, crying into his coat. He felt Lottie’s arms around his waist and put his free hand on her shoulder. They stood there holding each other until the girls’ tears stopped. Slade himself refused to cry – he had to be strong for them. After a while Ruby removed herself from his arm and wiped her eyes. ‘I think I needed that,’ she joked. ‘After everything that’s happened.’

‘I’m always here for you Ruby,’ he said. ‘For you and our baby.’

‘Slade…’

‘It’s okay. I want to be a part of the baby’s life, no matter what Ebony says.’

‘No, Slade, I…’ she paused, not meeting his eye. ‘I’ll talk to you later. Come on, Lottie. Let’s go.’

Feeling slightly confused but putting it down to her being upset, he watched them leave then began to blow out the candles, the smell of the smoke replacing that of the flowers as he did so. Vaulting over the edge of the fountain he placed Josh’s glasses and Ram’s buckle at the base of the statue. Still there, but out of the way. He didn’t want to think of what would happen if Lex got his hands on them. Some of the others, too. Hopping back over the wall he grabbed his things and walked away.

From her hiding place behind a pillar Ebony had watched the whole of Slade’s little ceremony for Mega and Ram, her anger rising when he had put his arm around that cow Ruby! How could she take advantage of him in a situation like this? And why had he let her? Well if they thought they were going to fool her then they were very much mistaken! As he approached where she was hiding she stepped out in front of him, making him jump, which was satisfying in itself.

‘Ebony! What are you doing here? Were you…were you spying on me?’

‘Cosy little gathering you had there, the three of you. Like one big, happy family.’

‘You were! I thought we were past this, Ebony, you not trusting me. What else can I do?’

‘You can stay away from her for a start!’

‘I’ve already told you, this baby is a part of my baggage you’re going to have to live with, and if you don’t like that…’

‘She’s not pregnant!’

Slade stopped mid-sentence with his eyes wide and mouth open, before regaining his composure. ‘What?’ he said.

‘She’s not pregnant,’ she repeated. ‘She never was.’

‘You’re lying,’ he spat.

‘Ask Salene if you don’t believe me. Or May. They know the truth.’

‘I don’t need to ask anyone else, she can tell me herself!’ Turning on his heels he stormed off, presumably to find Ruby. It was then that she realised her big mistake. What if Ruby told him about the ‘accident’?

‘Slade!’ she shouted after him. ‘You can’t go and talk to her in this mood, Slade! Come back here! Slade!’

Ruby sat on her bed, quietly drying her eyes. She had sent Lottie to find Bonnie and Sammy in an attempt to cheer the girl up and, if she had to admit it, to leave her alone here with her thoughts. It was only recently that she had realised she was falling for Ram. Ram, of all people! Now it was too late. She had never been lucky in love and she was starting to think that perhaps she was cursed. At that moment, someone rushed in through the curtain and she leapt off the bed to defend herself before she realised it was Slade. When she noticed his expression, though, she thought that maybe she would need to defend herself after all. He looked livid!

‘Is it true?!’ he yelled. ‘You’re not pregnant?’ She clicked her teeth in annoyance. Ebony! That little witch must have told him!

‘Yes,’ she replied calmly. ‘It’s true. I never meant to hurt you Slade. I only found out just before we left the mall.’

Slade shook his head in disbelief. ‘But you were so sure ! Do you have any idea how messed up everything is right now in my head?’

‘I’m so sorry Slade.’

‘Just leave it, Ruby. Just leave me alone.’ As he stormed out of the room again she flopped down despondently onto her bed. He didn’t deserve Ebony, but she had promised herself she wasn’t going to tell anybody about what happened unless she absolutely had to, and she wasn’t about to go back on that now.

On the roof of the mall, Slade sat with his legs dangling over the edge, tears flowing freely down his face. He cried until he could cry no more, and when he had finished he stood up calmly and dried his face with the sleeve of his coat. ‘That’s all you’re getting, Josh,’ he said, before calmly walking back into the building. Ebony was waiting for him in their room, looking slightly nervous. He smiled at her to reassure her he was alright and she smiled back, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

2 Likes

Still don’t like Jamber… So no comment on them. But I like your Slade! (well I like him anyway :joy:) and may I say he deserves a little better then a bitchy Ebony so I hope she won’t be the all evil witch now!

And I have to say…
Well Ram tried to help them save the city after all… It’s a little sad that none of the Mall Rats had a real feeling of at last pay their respects.

2 Likes

Slade is an interesting character. He was a bit of a mystery on the show, which was necessary in order to hide the Mega connection until the end, so this is really the first opportunity to properly examine him as a person. And this chapter I think is the first to really give him a focus and try to get inside his head. I think I’ve struggled with him a bit and I’m not 100% happy with how he comes across sometimes in this story but hopefully as things progress that will get better!

As for Ebony, only time will tell! :wink:

I see your point about Ram, and maybe if it hadn’t been about Mega too then some of them might have shown up, but also he spent most of S5 in Liberty so the rest of the Mallrats didn’t really get to know him much, and this is still (I think) the day after the events at the hotel (the next chapter will have a time jump of a few days), so on top of that everyone’s still a bit traumatised.

1 Like

I always struggle with Slade s but too. But I have Mega alive and so I can more concentrate on the brotherly side of him. Actually in the chapters later in my story he will get some more room too (it’s always hard to give everyone somehow room)

But we’ll… Zoots death was tragic too. But instead of chucking him just out somewhere far on the street they decided for a burial due to Trudy and Brady. But Amber could have easily told Bray to do it alone. She did not even know them that Zoot was his brother. But still she, Dal and Jack went with them and even dressed up for the funeral of the one they all had “hated”

1 Like

:wave: I have jumped in here a few times and read snippets off chapters, as you do. HAHAHA.

But today I have decided to read from the start and get up to speed as you are a brilliant writer and am enjoying what I have read so far. The below cover the first 5 chapters that you posted all those years ago.

Chapter Reviews:
Chapter 1; What If?: Taking the decision to alter the end of S5 was my main struggle with getting into this, however I am glad I finally took the plunge as it really has given you the opportunity to explore a different path and I like that. It’s refreshing! I like how you had Jack step up to be the hero, the guilt of Slade blaming himself and nailed the relationship between Amber and Lex that felt very much like the show.

Chapter 2; Systems: I enjoyed the exchange between Amber and Ram here and seeing a softer side of him. A.I Zoot is stuck in my head repeating ‘Jack’ and I can see his face on all the monitors. :stuck_out_tongue: I enjoyed the addition of Jay and Gel in this chapter. Reading Gel always puts a smile on my face she is pure entertainment. This little interaction between them as got me thinking, Jay & Gel as a couple could work. This is just my opinion, HAHA. Wow you can write, I felt like I had been taken into the system!!!

Chapter 3; Warnings: The scene with Amber and Ram was so tense and then everything going off except the computer, this is soooo good. The pain Amber is feeling worried about her friend is so adorable. Those bloody headsets brought nothing but pain and misery. Come on Jack, you can do this. :smiley:

Chapter 4; Visions: I loved Amber’s weird dream, I’m still trying to make sense off it. What could it mean? I liked the feature of Sasha, Pride and Bray, this would obviously off been old footage of them, HAHA. It’s interesting to reflect on how long Mega had been scheming behind Ram’s back and even why Mega wanted to unleash this virus and the effect it would have? Ram’s program is some serious shit… it’s not looking good!!!

Chapter 5; Light of Day: Go Amber giving a slap and then putting idiot Lex in his place and talking the most sense. You have her spot on. :heart: Slade at stepping up, he turns me on, LOL. I would happily tend to his cut he got from the glass. Lex and his mouth as usual are really getting on my tits. It’s nice to see Ram wanting to do something good but then tragedy strikes. :sob: Is Ram someone you were not keen on, or you just felt it was the right decision to make for this story? I’m glad to know the city is safe, but I am so worried about Jack.

Thanks Matt for this well written AU S6. You rock and I look forward to reading the rest. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Zwenja - That’s a good point. I don’t think I’d ever compared it to Zoot’s funeral before. Glad to hear there will be more of Slade in future chapters! It’s really interesting to see the Slade/Mega family relationship.

@Jack - Thanks so much for the lovely comments! I’ll try and address some of the points you brought up:

I’m glad you took a chance on my AU! Initially, back in the day, I wanted to write a pairing fic (I won’t say who at this point) but I wanted to set it both post-S5 and in the city, so this story actually came about as a way of explaining how that could have happened, before taking on a life of its own.

Argh, I’m not overly fond of the writing in that Jay/Gel scene, haha! Glad you liked it though!

I did enjoy writing the headset scenes and the dream sequence - it was fun to explore something a bit different, although I’m not sure how plausible it was for Amber to fall asleep while all that was going on!!!

I think I touched on this in an earlier comment but I really regret what happened to Ram! At the time I couldn’t see how to fit him in to the Mallrat dynamic going forward so it was more of a plot decision and to give myself a kind of practice run for killing off characters if the need arose!

Thanks again everyone for reading. I still find some of these earlier bits a bit cringey so I’m really excited for you all to see the later chapters as I think they’re much better written!

2 Likes

Chapter 18: The Return

As soon as she heard the door click behind her, she knew something was wrong. The smile vanished from her face, as did all thoughts of looking for Jay. She tried to open the door, but, as she had already known, it was locked. She should have known that the Zoot computer would have tried something as soon as she left Jack alone in the room, and she mentally berated herself for not seeing it coming. Angrily jiggling the door handle she pounded her palm on the red-painted wood, but it was no use. ‘Jay!’ she shouted. ‘Jay! Help me!’ She stopped her pounding to hear his reply, but none came. Where was he? He had heard her call before so why couldn’t he hear it now? Unless… her eyes widened as she realised the horrible truth - Jay had never been in the hotel in the first place. The computer must have tricked her, and most likely had tricked Ram as well. As if it knew what she had been thinking, a change in the light in the room caught her eye and she looked through the window where the image on the monitors had changed. Dozens of Jays stood staring straight at her, waving and grinning in the same way that Zoot had not too long before. A moment later, Jack spasmed in his chair and grimaced in pain, his fingers attempting to dig into the armrests. ‘No!’ she screamed, frantically resuming her pounding on the door, keeping rhythm with the rattling noise that had suddenly started up in the back of her head. ‘Jack! Jack! No! Leave him alone! Jack!’ As hysteria took over she slid to her knees, still leaning against the door. ‘Jack,’ she whispered one last time before collapsing in a heap on the floor, the rattling in her head getting louder and louder until finally…

…She jerked upright in her bed, golden ringlets taken down from her usual Zulu-knots swinging in her face as she sucked in ragged breaths of air. As her brain started to wake up she realised that the rattling noise she had thought she was hearing in her dream was in fact real. Now that she had her wits about her she knew exactly what it was - the grille that blocked off the mall’s main courtyard from the outside world. Someone was trying to get inside! ‘Jay!’ she shouted, echoing her dream and giving her goose bumps, but this time he was here. In the early morning light she saw him rise from the floor where he had been sleeping.

‘I’ve got it,’ he said, pulling on his trousers before heading to the door. ‘You stay here.’

Amber scrambled out of the bed before he could get away. ‘No! I’m coming with you!’

He nodded his head quickly. ‘Alright, but hurry up.’ She scooped her son up into her arms - she wasn’t going to leave him on his own - and hurried after him. When they reached the stairs they met Ebony and Slade also coming down to investigate the noise. Both were fully dressed and Ebony was armed with a baseball bat. Amber was beginning to think that staying behind with Bray would have been a better idea, but it was too late to turn back now, and she had wanted to take her mind off the dream. The small group reached the bottom of the stairs, where most of the rest of the tribe had gathered. Lex was there, bare-chested like Jay, wielding another bat and standing in front of May, in pyjamas, and Ellie, fully dressed. The blonde looked tired and had clearly been at Jack’s bedside all night. Darryl was there too, immobilised by Gel clinging to the sleeve of his dressing gown and Bonnie clutching his leg. Both girls wore pink nightgowns - although Gel’s was more flamboyant, and made of a thin material that would have been bordering on indecent had it not been for the more than generous quantities of garishly bright pink feathers that lined the edges - and matching pink fluffy slippers. Sammy also stood nearby, bouncing eagerly on his toes, brandishing a broom shaft but not looking particularly menacing in a pair of checked pyjama bottoms and a vest. All the while the rattling of the grille continued, with the occasional shout of ‘Mallrats! Hey, Mallrats!’ or one of their names.

‘Amber!’

‘Jay!’

‘Lex!’

‘They don’t sound all that threatening,’ Jay said. ‘Best not to take chances, though. Are we all here?’

‘Trudy’s hiding with Brady,’ May said. ‘Salene’s with them.’

‘I think Ruby’s with Lottie in their room,’ Darryl added.

Amber walked up to Darryl and handed Bray over to him. ‘Can you take Bray and the other kids somewhere safe?’ she asked him, gesturing to Bonnie, Gel and Sammy, none of whom looked happy at being labelled ‘kids’. Gel, at least, was sufficiently frightened to leave with him, but made it seem like it had been her decision to leave all along.

‘Come on Darryl,’ she said. ‘And let go of me!’

‘But…you had hold of me!’ he protested as they walked away, Bonnie still trying to hold onto his leg.

‘You too, Sammy,’ Amber told the youngster.

‘I want to stay here and fight!’ he said defensively. ‘I’m not a kid!’

‘Just do it Sammy!’ she snapped, matching his glare until he stormed off, shoulders hunched up in anger. ‘And there won’t be any fighting if I can help it!’ she called out after him.

‘What’s happening?’ May asked when the younger members of the tribe had left. ‘Are we being invaded?’

‘There’s only one way to find out,’ Ebony answered, tapping her bat against the palm of her hand as if she were itching for a fight.

‘Alright then,’ Jay said, a purposeful look in his eyes. ‘Let’s do this. Shall we lead the way, Lex?’ Lex nodded and started forward with Jay, holding his bat aloft. Ebony joined them and Jay looked back as if to stop her, but she tightened her grip on the bat she was carrying as if she would use it on him if he even suggested she stay back, and he let it drop. Amber and the remaining Mallrats fell in behind them, heading across the courtyard and around the corner, where a huge crowd of people stood behind the grille, still shouting and banging the metal frame, trying to make as much noise as possible.

Abruptly a huge cheer rose up from the crowd, accompanied by even more rattling of the grille and followed by a chant of ‘Mallrats! Mallrats! Mallrats!’ Amber recognised a number of faces in the crowd, including a fair few tribe leaders.

‘I don’t believe it!’ said Jay. ‘It’s the rest of the city tribes!’

‘Some of them at any rate,’ May added. ‘But yours and Spinner’s message only went out a couple of days ago!’

‘Jay! Jay!’ A voice came from somewhere deep in the crowd and a woman who Amber decided must be Spinner forced her way to the front. At least, the description Trudy had given her matched, but she looked like no Techno she had ever seen before, in a white Lycra outfit decorated with yellow lightning bolts down the legs and the upper arm. Evidently the Technos had a new uniform. ‘It worked, Jay!’ the woman continued. ‘I met this lot coming in from Sector 4, heading straight here, so I thought I’d tag along - isn’t it wonderful? The city’s going to be buzzing again in no time!’

‘Spinner! That’s great news, but what’s with the new get-up? Lex, raise the grille and let everyone inside.’ Lex went to carry out this task while Amber could only stand on and watch while Jay eyed Spinner’s ‘new get-up’ and the dark-skinned woman kept looking at him too. She hoped that the goose bumps appearing on his chest were down to the cold and not Spinner’s gaze. She was about to say something to remind them of her presence when the grille finally moved and she and the rest of the Mallrats were overwhelmed by the throng of well-wishers, each of them wanting to show their thanks for stopping the virus from being released, and to press gifts upon them, from simple food and blankets to more valuable items such as jewellery and electrical items. After a while Salene appeared at the top of the stairs to see what was going on, followed soon after by Gel and Bonnie, and finally Ruby and Lottie. Sammy was probably sulking somewhere, Trudy was no doubt with Brady, and Darryl was hopefully still looking after Bray. Leaving the crowd - and Jay and Spinner - behind, Amber decided to go and find her son, making apologetic noises to anyone who tried to talk to her on the way. After trying first Darryl’s room and then her own she eventually found the two of them downstairs by the lift shaft. Darryl had his back to her, and so did not notice her arrival. He was holding Bray out in front of him, pulling faces and making baby sounds, to which Bray was responding with giggles and noises of his own.

‘What are you two talking about then?’

Darryl swirled around to face her with a surprised yelp, causing Bray to squeal in delight as he moved through the air. Colour bloomed on the man’s cheeks. ‘Amber! I, er, I didn’t hear you. He…he didn’t like the noise. It was quieter down here. I’m sorry, I should have told you. Here, take him.’ Bray reached out his hands towards his mother, and she took him from Darryl’s outstretched arms. ‘Relax Darryl,’ she said. ‘You did a good job. Thanks for looking after him for me.’ A sheepish grin appeared on his face and he rubbed the back of his head, before regaining his composure and making a hasty escape, mumbling excuses. No doubt he was off to do something more manly than looking after babies.

Amber shook her head and laughed. ‘What do you think, little man?’ she asked Bray. Is Darryl just a big softie?’ Her son giggled and clapped his little hands. ‘Yeah,’ she laughed. ‘I think so too.’

‘So this is all the rage in Technoland?’ Jay asked Spinner, gesturing to her new uniform. The pair stood a little way off from the main bustle of the courtyard - now not quite as busy as it had been - but still close enough to be on hand if they were needed. Feeling the cold after so long wandering around half dressed in the middle of the night, he pulled the blanket Spinner had acquired for him out of one of the steadily growing piles of presents from the city folk around his shoulders more tightly and suppressed a shiver.

Spinner laughed in answer to his question. ‘Something like that,’ she said. ‘We couldn’t exactly go on as we were, the people have no trust in the Technos anymore. We need people to see we’re different.’

‘They’ll figure it out, you know. It’s not like any other tribe knows how to keep the power on.’

‘We’re not denying our past, Jay. We just want to show that we’ve changed. We’re not the Technos anymore, we’re the Technicians.’ Her voice rang with pride at the new name.

‘So the Technos are finally over,’ he said, staring into space. ‘It’s funny, after everything that’s happened I still find that a little sad.’

‘Don’t!’ Spinner said harshly, grabbing his chin and forcing him to look at her, in a way that made him think of Ebony. ‘The Technos never stood for anything you or I believed in, Jay, never! With people like Ram and Mega calling the shots we were foolish to believe people like us could make a difference.’

‘And now?’

‘Now we will make a difference, Jay!’ she said passionately. ‘Our paths are no longer the same but we will both make a difference, in our own way.’ She released her grip on his chin and moved her hand up to gently stroke his cheek. ‘We’ll make sure of it.’

‘Hey guys!’ Darryl smiled as he walked up to them, causing them both to jump and blush. ‘What’s up? Woah - Spinner, you look…hot!’

Jay laughed. Darryl hadn’t noticed a thing!

‘Ugh!’ Spinner cringed, taking a step back from Darryl, who was in danger of drooling all over her if he wasn’t careful. ‘I’ll catch you later, Jay,’ she said, sidestepping past Darryl before gliding gracefully through the remaining crowd and out of the mall. Jay stared after her, a puzzled expression on his face.

‘She’s changed,’ he said, half to himself.

‘Yeah, I know!’ Darryl said, grinning. ‘She looks hot!’

Jay covered his face with one hand and shook his head in disbelief.

2 Likes

:joy: Darryl is kind of cute, isn’t he? (don’t you find it confusing with Baby Bray? I never can stand with that name while writing for I always see his father before my eyes then​:sweat_smile::see_no_evil:)

Amber’s nightmare is gripping shudder

I love writing Darryl! He’s a bit like a puppy - a big heart with lots of love and loyalty to give, but also he can be completely bonkers sometimes. :upside_down_face:

I actually never had a problem with baby Bray’s name! I liked the symbolism of him being named after his father in S4, knowing that they might never meet and so making sure he always had that link to him, to guide him in a way as he grew up. I can see how it can be confusing though if you’re writing something with both of them in.

I’m glad the nightmare was effective! We didn’t get to see what happened with Amber at the hotel so I thought this was a nice way of adding it in as a dream flashback and also to show that it is still affecting her.

Thanks again for reading. :smiley:

1 Like