Mall Rats Return

Andy

Dawn laughed so hard when I passed the vial and said “to much could turn his balls blue.” She wouldn’t stop so I just left her to it. Lex must have been proper gonzo as when I left he still was out off it. Will arrived at Lex’s room and said, “Now you see what I have to put up with.” I smirk and pat him on the back, “Good luck.”

I enter the cafe and help myself to some food. I can feel Tally’s eyes boring into the back of my head. I bop Leo on the nose before I take a seat. I take my first mouthful and speak with the food in my mouth, oops! “Mmm, tastes good sis. As expected. Thank you.” I take another mouthful even though I still hadn’t finished what was in my mouth.

@Zwenja

1 Like

Zan Sewer door

I look at Danni as she comes out “Sorry to rush out, its going to be some getting used to being back here again” I tell her as I stand up “Who do you think will join us?” I ask.

I turn slightly hearing Salenes voice coming from the sewer entrance and one or two of the guys, I am slightly curious what is going on, I hadn’t quite curbed the habit of being nosey “Come on, lets see if they are ready to go” I tell her and walk towards where Callan, Salene and Liam where “We’re ready to go when you guys are” I tell Callan.

Ryan

I had for the most just sat back in my seat and breathed in and out taking in everything that had happened, it was just so much to take in. But I couldn’t sit there and mold over it, I and Alice needed to find a place to sleep.

I look over what could be done, nothing that could be solved today but I think we could find a solution. I look at Alice and nod my head.

“I’ve slept on worse things, but the mattresses don’t look bad so I think we’ll be alright” I say with a smile. I kneel down to get a better grip on the metal frame to start taking it apart, I needed that distraction too. “I knew coming back here might be weird but I never imagined everything that happened in there”

@Trudy

Alice ~market stall, Alice & Ryan’s room

“Me neither…” I say as I help with the frame. “it’s so strange to see everyone again… and then specially for you and Lex… to…see Zandra again…”

Come on Alice… suck it up… ask him what you really wanna know… ask him how he feels about seeing Salene again…
No… I decide against it. I learned long ago not to ask questions I don’t really wanna know the answer to.

@Tribelover15

1 Like

Gel #shoeshop

I look at mouse. She invites me up to the roof top to spend time with her and her group. But I’m not sure, back in the Cafe it had felt that they were laughing off me. ”thank you for your invite, but I’m not sure your friends will approve of it” I tell Mouse.

I look over at her, why don’t we join the others on the outing they are having? I suggest looking at her. Someone had announced it, Callan. I think his name was. I think to myself.

@Jack

Patsy #bunkers somewhere.

I look over at Brady as she holds up some clothes. Military clothes? Is this a old base? Why else would there be green clothes there? Green has never been my favourite Colour or a colour that I wear, but this is a emergency. Nodding my head I reach out for one of them.

I quickly strip out of my old wet clothes and into the dry one. I hang them up to dry, as I do that I find a rope that I tie around my waist as a belt. ” is there a second lamp? “ I ask. It could be nice to have one just in case it gets dark while I look for our bags.

”this is old military uniforms, our soldiers used to wear them” I tell Brady. I remember them from when I was a little child

Brady ~ old bunkers

I frown as Patsy mentions something called military. For a split second I wonder what it means, until she says soldiers, and I realize they must have been kind of like the Techno’s of the old world, with their love of uniforms.
I mean… Jay even liked his so much, that he kept wearing it when we left the city by boat.

Holding the lamp I take a closer look to see if I can find anything else. “There’s more!” I say happily as I put the lamp down, and grab another pair from under what seems to have been some sort of sink. “Not entirely sure how long these will last though, there’s less of that liquidy stuff in these”

@Patsy

Eciov Gel’s room; shoe shop

Gel for some reason says my friends would not approve and instead suggests to join the party crew. I grab her hand and squeeze it. “My friends would approve for sure, your just like our fashionista, Spirit. However, go paint the town red, party hard missy. Count me out though, I am way to tired from the journey, sorry. Another time for sure. You can tell me all about it in the morning. I’ll go let the ones who are going out to wait for you. Your going to knock them dead, I know it. Your bag contain’s a full sized wardrobe of choices, I bet.” I smile at her and then embrace her. Whispering in her ear, I say “It’s nice to see you. Be safe. The offer still stands if you get back early come up to the roof.”

@Patsy

By sewers

I leave Gel to get ready. I head over to the meeting point for the ones that wish to head out. The leader of the Serpents is there, another serpent, Zandra and SALENE! Now that I wasn’t expecting.

It looked like Salene was having a conversation with the Serpents as Zandra joined them and said ‘we’re ready to go when you guys are’. I catch a glimpse of Danni in the background. I come up behind Zandra and quickly say, “Please wait for Gel. She is stylish and beautiful just like you. Keep an eye on her tonight please.”

From where we are, I can hear Dawn, Will and some grumbles from Lex, I guess that’s where I will head next after Zandra assures me she will look out for Gel.

@Zandra

Tally cafe

I give Andy a weak smiles as he tugs into the stew. I kind of expected us trying a talk again during dinner. But it’s not everyone here even and those who obviously want rather to go out partying then talk in peace are already on the way out.

Well I hope they tanke care of themselves, I am not treating hangovers! The few medical herbs I have, I keep for us. Family before strangers and people I just meet again after years apart.

I use a piece of a rather hard baked bread to scoop up the rest of the stew. I noticed Danni - I think… Again… I suck at names… - put her bowl on the side unwashed. Probably because she doesn’t know how they do the wash up here. I notice there aren’t any chore shedules… How are they organized?

Shrugging I stack my bowl into the other used one. “Good you like it… I don’t know if you join the out goers there… Or just will hang around here a bit more… But I am going into our room. I am exhausted and not really able to think straight…” I kiss his head and animate Leo “Say goodnight to uncle Andy Leo!” Leo gives him a wet smack on the cheek.

I giggle. “You know where we are. Take care brotherheart…”

I leave the Café, holding Leo safely. I ignore those on the meeting spot and carefully step around them. Judging by the dress up they won’t like a baby’s fingers on them. And Leo looks really interested at the colors.

in Tallys and Andy’s room, Rossini’s

I slip into our room, probably unnoticed, refusing to get into the mix even when I see Salene amongst them. I can’t imagine her going out. But who knows?

Confused I then look around. Am I in the right room? Where do those boxes come from? I place Leo careful into the papasan chair that Eciov and I found tugged away into a corner of the room. I dusted off the pillow as good as possible. I hope it’s okay. But Leo wiggles his toes happily, munching on his little fist, so I guess it’s okay.

I approach a box and open it. Wondering I take out a little green/black striped hoodie jacket that feels really soft. Underneath are carefully folded little trousers and shirts. I gape. What’s this? Who…?

I look back at Leo “Either your uncle turned a wizard or someone else means really well with us!”

Leo yawns and this makes me yawn too. “Right baby… We take a look tomorrow…” I go and take off the old pullover he is in. “We keep the rest on, it’s not exactly warm here…” He let’s me wrap him in a blanket. I then take off my own oversized pullover, and shoes. Andy and I own only what we are wearing, so there is not much I csn do about it… I have to sleep in my clothes. Can’t risk to get ill.

I move Leo with the chair close to the side of our make shift bed tgat faces the door and lay down, gently struggling his little feet. It always helps him sleep.

I watch my boy fighting sleep, but loosing to it. His eyes flutter one last time and with a sleepy, sigh he gives. I watch his chest raise and fall, wondering if I’ll even be able to sleep, no matter how exhausted I am…

1 Like

Salene

#Sewers

The guy I followed into the sewers, tells me that one of the Mall Rats left without considering ths traps or security of the mall, he reminds me that we are guests in THEIR home… As if I would forget that… Before I can speak the guy called Callan comes into the sewers behind us…

“Yes, I just wanted to find out what was going on” I sigh “Your friend here was say about one of us left the Mall without thinking, I know we are guests in your home and I am very sorry for disrupting your lives, I will talk to my friends and make sure they know to let some one know when they are going, please understand he meant no harm, it’s hard when you have had 17 years of freedom and now suddenly we are back here with rules and regulations, we will try and do better”

I hope they can see I am being sincere, I will talk to the others and get them to see we cant just come and go as we please, we have no idea what dangers lurk in the city since we have been gone, I suddenly think of Tribe Circus, The Chosen, The Demon Dogs eveon the Locusts and Zootists and how awful they were… Before we can say more Zandra and Danni walk into the sewers telling Callen they are ready to go out, I smile an awkward smile and try to step away, so they can have some room… I don’t plan on going out, I feel like I have aged 20 years since being here, some one needs to stay back to look after Lex and be on hand to help Tally if she needs it…

@Danni
@Zandra
And anyone else around

1 Like

Zan Sewers entrance

I looked over my shoulder at Eciov “Yeah not a problem, us girls know how to stick together” I tell him with a smile, I was definitely up for more people joining us.

Hearing Salene saying about the guard wasn’t happy with someone leaving the mall without letting him know. I understood Salene’s point of being used to be able to come and go as they needed, it will be a habit that could be hard getting used to for some.
After my history it was something, I had always had to do so it was second nature that I couldn’t just up and go whenever I wanted… But in my case it wasn’t a good thing and the thought of it gave me a moment of uncomfortableness.
The logical part of my brain knew it was for everyone’s safety but it still left me a little uneasy - Not that I was planning on going out alone anyway.

CALLAN
Sewers entrance

Listening to the woman talk I glance at Liam and give a small nod, he looks incredibly relieved and walks away from the situation. He wasn’t a fan of this kind of conversation, which I did understand.

’I appreciate you meant not harm,’ I tell her honestly ’but the city is a different place to the one you left, it isn’t safe.’ Before I can elaborate further Red joins us and then the woman who raised her concerns is backing away. I don’t say anymore, there didn’t seem any point in trying to have a conversation when she obviously wasn’t feeling it.

Looking back at Red and Danni I smile slightly, ’we’ll wait a bit for anyone else to join us,’ I tell them, ’and then I’m afraid before we go out I’m going to have to give a safety briefing… I had hoped to speak to everyone in the cafe about the city but… things happened.’ I wasn’t sure if they’d notice I was armed, or Luc for that matter, but I needed to make them aware the city wasn’t as safe as it had been before, and they would need to be on their guard.

@Salene
@Zandra

DANNI

Sewers

Approaching the sewers I get there in time to bear part of the conversation between Callan and Salene, I’m not sure what happened but neither seemed particularly happy. As Salene backs away I move forward, I can’t help but catch the tone of Callan’s voice when he talks about security… obviously this was something serious that he wanted us to pay attention to.

Biting my lip I think for a moment ’I uhm, I didn’t wash my plate, didn’t know the water situation…’ it seems a silly comment in comparison to what he was saying but I felt it important to mention.

KC

By the time I am sorted and my room is sort of done I head towards the cafe smelling the grub “Smells good in here” I say out loud, I hadn’t really been paying much attention when the discussion on who was making food so wasn’t sure who to compliment.
Grabbing a bowl and happily filling it I walk over and take a seat at the same table as Luc “So I am guessing you’re one of the top dogs around here, years ago there were always deals to make and scams to run, had that changed?” I asked and started to eat.
I needed the low down on the city, everyone else might leave once this is all sorted but I had no where else to go so was thinking on a long term solution.

Luc

I look as KC sits down next to me, it takes me by surprise as there hasn’t been much mingling between everyone except Red asking where to go on a night out. I listen as he starts asking questions about the city and from the sound of it he is going to fit in well here.

“Yes and no. There are always deals to be made but people aren’t quite as gullible as they used to be and because the city isn’t in the best state its harder to find things” I paused “How you just happen to be in the home of the tribe that are the best are finding what’s needed and making the right deals”

I finish my meal and put the spoon in the bowl “But the city isn’t the safest, there is a tribe that is really dangerous which is part of the reason we will be going out as a group tonight - Safety in numbers and all”

Zan

I listen to Callan, he handles the situation well and seems to be coming from a safety point of view rather than an angry one. I pout slightly at having to wait and then have a safety briefing but I quickly shift it as I know it’s important and patience is a virtue afterall… Just one that I sometimes struggle to possess “We understand” I say, then look at Danni as she says about the plate “Oh I washed mine, I didn’t think about the whole saving water thing”

It was an automatic reaction to wash it but in hindsight, it was probably a better idea to wash things together to save on water. Whoops.

Phoenix Salt&Sassy, bar down at the old docks in the harbor district

I have to say I’m impressed that Mike doesn’t react irritated to me just staring at him. I am trained to not just stare at one’s lips of course, but flip to eyes all the while too. Sometimes I’ll manage it better then now though. Mike speaks rather fast and obviously silent, so the movements of his lips, aren’t as pronounced.

Seems like I’ve got to trust Sam and Kyle to listen well and be able to fill in what I’ve missed. They make my life living in a hearing world do much better. Only my younger sister Patsy EVER really accomplished in that before. And Cloe. It’s them I am here for.

I am not extremely scared of the letters because of myself. There is no reason at all to hunt me. The letters were even rather weird, just more annoying then really scary on tone. What annoys me is more that someone knows who I once was… And why this person would be interested in my return.

But the letters also made me think, that maybe it’s time to face the shame of the past. That I was so scared of some big mouth bully to run. Mind you… I do hope Lex is around (though by his lifestyle he might have been killed already) to give a lesson…

I shake my head silently to get rid of the silly idea to use Lex as a target for my Archery training, realizing I missed whatever Mike explained.

My device is slipped on my lap by Sam’s hand. I look shortly at her and she grins. She must have noticed my not paying attention and took the translator out carefully.

My eyes swiftly move over the words. Looks like there aren’t a lot tribes around. Most rather small. It’s unfamiliar names I read. No Locos. No Demon Dogs. No Jackalls or such. Some tribes have the name of a building attached to them. I point to the name that interests me the most.

Sam nods and asks “We saw the mall… Looked a bit run down to be true… There were so many grafittis…about some… Zoot… And the Mall Rats?” Sam is perfect in playing innocent, wrapping a strand of her blonde hair around her finger. Mike soon will dribble all over the table…

“Ah yes… That’s kind of after virus history. Zoot was the leader of the Locos. Biggest bully in the playground for a while. But how it is with big bullies…they often find their end by those they bully. Stories say he died just there… In the mall. Killed by his OWN older brother! Imagine that! I think it was that they fought over a girl…”

If I could laugh loud I’d do right now. Seems like telling the story from mouth to mouth changed it rather a lot…

“Well… How was it again? Yes… A while later the second wave of the virus broke out. The Mall Rats searched the formula of the antidote and made it. They gave it out, saying for free, but of course like it is with such things… They’ll never go for free. They organized people in cleaning squads to care for the city and stuff like that…”

Mike shrugs “Mind… Can’t see the BAD in that. Would do the City some good. But of course there always those complaining. Then a cult showed up. They said Zoot still lives and all… The ex girl if his - turned out her child was Zoots I think… Though I ask how they would know. Could have easily been the older brothers too or? -” He wonders and I chew my lips. A cult? Like… Religious? Praying to Zoot? Out of all people? But that explains all the stupid power & chaos grafittis all over town.

“It were the Mall Rats who fought them down. I’d say good as I think everyone who goes to extremes… Who forces beliefs on anyone is just crazy. I heard that many people dissappeared by the Chosen. Were forced to work for them… But of course those were crazy days. The next tribe came around… This time a technology affine Tribe. The Technos. The first guy leading them was rather gaga, invented a reality game called Paradise. There are still people hooked on it. So don’t go around the outer district of the old stadium. This was the first base of the Technos and all those who still are addicted are there. I mean serious. Those people don’t know what’s real or not. They’ll attack for everything!”

I nod, troubled of what he tells.

“This guy was overrode by a rebellion and replaced by a guy called Mega. And well… Mega played nice for just a short while and then showed true colors. Again the Mall Rats organized a rebellion. Mega was beaten, but in that fight a second virus was placed upon the city… Many of the then tribes fleed… We are either reminders of those who had to stay as they had no way of getting away by boat or just fled into the nature around… Or new habitants from other places…”

Kyle shifts in his seat “So this virus…never existed? Is that what you’re saying?” He asks. Mike shrugs “Can’t say that for sure. Only as much… The Mall Rats told people to run… Many dies in the chaos… People were parted from their tribes… But obviously no one died from a bad illness afterwards. People started returning, after the city had been empty a while. Forming new tribes. So might seem the Mall Rats got it wrong. Maybe everyone could have stayed just here. The city wouldn’t have lost the control over energy and water system that the Technos had brought. People wonder if paradise was so bad at all… If it provided them all with light and even some medical care the Techno general installed…”

Sam, Kyle and I share a look. The guy who made my device, who has brought up lots of clever inventions around the area where we live… He never said where he came from. Maybe he was one of those… Technos?

“So people are okay with the thought that there were others enslaved to provide their life standards?” Kyle scoffs, arms crossed. “Well… If they wanted to play…” Mike says “I never liked video games… But everyone can take his or her own way or? Why care from some junkies? Better put them to use…”

I see and feel Kyle’s blood starts zo boil. Hurriedly I place a hand on his arm, shake my head slightly as he looks up in my eyes. I know he’d love to yell now. But he swallows hard and looks down at the table.

“So okay… But even with what you told… I don’t get why those Mall Rats are hated?” Sam steers the conversation back on. “Oh well… I wasn’t around as I said before. But it seems like they always had the better part. The mall was a safe place… They were provided with good food when they had the antidote… That women lead the Chosen into town… Other tribes were placed under their rulement when the Chosen were beaten. Then the Technos came and the Mall Rats took a good while till they even started a fight… Mingled even with the enemy… You know… I put lots of it to legends. Urban legends. There aren’t lots around who actually have been there. Some of the younger ones around here are offsprings of those who lived in this city back those days… Who can say what’s true and what’s not? I don’t care for that kind of stuff. It’s past like the old world or? Who cares for history? World War one, world War two… All the ond cities… The old possibilities… They are just that… Old stories. Nothing more. They don’t feed me now…” He barks obviously with a laugh.

I tip on the name of the tribe who lives in the mall now and Sam nods, asking then “So… Those serpents… Aren’t offsprings of the Mall Rats? Or old Mall Rats just going by another name?”

Mike raises a brow “Boah… Actually… Never thought about that. But think they are generally too old to be actually kids of the old Mall Rats. The Serpents are talented traders, scammers and traders. They don’t refuse you a good business if you can offer something. Mind you, you guys probably would suit in with them. They seem to have a rule like that you have to be hot to join them… And I think striking deals is just way up your road?!”

Sam gives him just a grin and a shrug. I feel relieved. Seems at last like this tribe… Let’s say… Speaks our language. I learnt that as long I am useful, people don’t care that I am not chatty. Though I wonder… If all Mall Rats are called back… Where are they? Mike seems not to have heard any rumors of returners. Would those Serpents just welcome a bunch of strangers? Are they probably old Mall Rats in disguise, calling back old friends? But then… Why not just be open in the letters instead of making weird suggestions?

**“Okay. Now to the juicy stuff…”**Mike grins “This here is the most fun bar… Deliah leads a strict but fair reign… Her girls are superb…her booze doesn’t leave you dead… Her food is rather pleasant…” I hold my hand up and he stops talking, obviously reading in my eyes that this is not of interest.

Kyle again speaks “What about dangers?” “Dangers? Oh mind… There are the occasional…” “Don’t give us that crap. We see the weapons many here try to hide. We saw how everyone around looked at us for sporting weapons obviously…”

Mike looks around uneasy. “You know… Urm… It’s not wise to… Speak about…” I raise a brow.

Deliah now stands close and places a hand on Mike’s shoulder. They share a look and she leans over the table “Just let Mike finish his tale by telling you about the amusing parts. Show a bit interest to make people think you are just some traveling hunters looking for rest and fun… Then come into the backroom in an hour. The place will be full then… We can talk back there…” She whispers, looking intently in my eyes, speaking slow.

I nod, understanding that she grabbed my situation.

Mike babbles on, perfectly giving the impression of not having heard Deliahs words (though he has). Kyle jumps up the train at once, asking interested questions, laughing in the right moments. Sam’s hands slips on mine on my legs and squeezes it.

It tells me we are here together. But I ask myself again… Into what exactly did I lead my paramours?

1 Like

CALLAN
entrance to the sewers

’I hadn’t thought people would be coming and going quite so soon, we have a system within the serpents, especially when it comes to going out and about.’ I sigh, noticing Salene had stayed relatively close so hoping she can still hear me, but given that she’d heard my conversation with Liam earlier she obviously had decent hearing. ’This city is different, your mallrats aren’t exactly remembered with positivity… lots of people died in the crush of leaving the city when they announced a second virus.’ I shake my head, it hadn’t been a good time from what I’d heard. I’d been on the outskirts at the time and had missed the majority of it and just heard it from those who’d managed to leave.

’Rules are different now… tribes are different.’ I didn’t know how else to explain it ’violence is rife, you’ll notice we never leave unarmed.’ I didn’t want to scare them off going out, but also didn’t want them to do it without thinking, ’parts of the city are more dangerous than others… last thing you want is someone to follow you back here. The sewer entrance isn’t well known and we’d rather keep it that way. Your Andy could easily have been followed and then we’d all have been f*cked.’ I add glancing at Salene. ’We are known, and ‘liked’ within the city… we’ve worked hard for that reputation, so we don’t want you screwing that up for us.’

@zandra @salene

Zan

I listen Callan and as he explains it makes it a bit clearer when they were standoffish when I had arrived earlier “Maybe getting the grille working would be beneficial in the sense that to leave you need someone to open and close it so people can leave whenever the want but then there will also be someone aware and they need to come back through the grille unless its an emergency or something”

The idea of being followed back did make me a little uneasy but knowing that some of The Serpents were coming too helped and being honest it wasnt enough to put me off going out but it was enough for me to know there is dangers when wondering around alone.

Phoenix Salt&Sassy bar

It’s a bit later then an hour that we rise from our chairs. Sam rised more early and sat down on the bar, to watch when Deliah would dissappear.

The bar is now really crowded. Perfectly easy to dissappear into the masses and follow any business you have to strike.

It’s a also a sign how well organized Deliah must be, to be sure that she can leave the front for a while.

We step beside Sam who waits at the door. The three of us share a look, like so often we don’t need any other communication. It’s one for all, all for one to us. Always.

I nod at her and she knocks one time. We were told to come, but especially in a place where we are strangers, it’s better and wiser to be overly polite.

The door gets opened only with a small gap and we slide through, one after one.

storeroom Salt&Sassy

We stand in a room that is full of boxes filled with bottles, food, obviously more chairs and whatever might be needed in the bar. There are two oil lamps lit, tainting the otherwise dark room I to an eery light. Deliah stands, her back on the wall, Mike and five other big blokes around her. I knew she isn’t just a bartender. Not in the docks. Not in this obviously dangerous city.

“Are we asked to lay down our weapons?” Sam asks, already her hand on her whip to losen it. It’s normally common that in such talks, you are asked to take off weapons, to show that you are willed to behave and accept the standing rules.

But Deliah surprises us by answering “No. Better keep your weapons. If you keep yours, we can keep ours!” She lifts the skirt she is wearing and we see two small knives bond to her leg. Sam whistles “Handy…”

The guys don’t show any weapon, but now it’s clear they aren’t only big and muscular. There will be weapons on them too.

I eye Mike who still wears a friendly smile. Deliah grins “Mike is my gentle giant. He easily gains people’s trust and makes them talk. Usually…” Now Sam grins “Just not us… Instead that we told him a thing about us… We made him speak…”

“Exactly. And that’s why I think you’re worth my time. You aren’t just travelers who got lucky running into some hares and squirrels. That bow he is wearing… It’s not just an handcrafted hunting weapon. That’s a bow made by someone who learnt the craft from a master in the days before the virus. It’s not just for hunting, it’s for fighting. The questions you ask…Simple travelers would indeed ask where they can stay for some nights, where the fun things take place…and not about to expect dangers, tribes that live here…”

Kyle crosses his arms “Well…not every traveler is an idiot. We always check out the way a city is running, before we stay!”

Deliah looks at me. “Is it that?” She asks, signing with her hands. I can’t keep my indifferent face at that. Never since I was kidnapped away from here, a person talked to me without me teaching them first.

“How…?” I start to sign, but she at once answers “My mom was deaf…I think I remember enough to understand you. I guess you made a bit of your own sign language also over the years. With no teaching left…”

She uses the letters. It’s a slow way to speak in sign language, but a more foolproof way. I nod instead of signing back.

“You are a very good lip reader. You give the perfectly closed face, so one goes and thinks you are just not interested in talks and leave the deal making to your companions. People think you don’t need words to let your companions know what you want…”

I shrug and sign “People see what they want to see. As long as I have good deals to offer they don’t nudge me to speak…”

“Well…” She looks quietly at us a moment. “The question you asked… Is understandable. We live in times were we can’t be sure enough. Especially people like you and us… Traders, scammers…”

I pull a brow up “Bounty… Hunters?” She asks, using words and hands. Kyle makes a step closer to me. She grins “You are hunters? From the north? Or south?”

We look at each other and Sam answers “South…” “Ah…thats the more beautiful place… Mountains… Oceanside…”

Surprised I look in her eyes.

“I come from the south… After the virus I traveled some years. Not a blue eyes girl I am…” She winks with a grin, as she indeed HAS blue eyes.

Kyle and Sam stay silent, trying to not give away even more.

“You’re not here for business… I’d know Iif someone hired hunters…you said yourself you aren’t looking for fun… So…?” “That’s private!” I sign back to her.

A while she stares in my eyes, then she nods “I accept that…” “But…” one of the guys starts, but she just holds her hand up. “I am not prying into those guys private business. I want respect, so I give respect myself!”

She sighs and hops on a stack of boxes. “I hope whatever you reason you have… It’s worth a risk though. This town isn’t Disneyland.” She signs. It never was, I think to myself.

“Okay… Look… The reason why I had to interfere in your talk with Mike… The questions you were asking… They are dangerous either people lie at you or won’t answer at all. Or you meet someone like Mike who melts to the beautiful face of your girl here…”

“I wasn’t telling them! I kept my mouth!” Mike shouts “Yeah… But for how long Mickey boy? Holding back isn’t exactly your golden treat. I am not angry. It’s good we aren’t all closed up ice boxes…” She pats his cheek and turns then to face me again.

She uses her mouth and her hands now, probably so I gave double chance to understand.

"Mike told you about the… Normal tribes here. About the paradise addicts… And I think you agree that those junkies already are enough danger. Life has always been dangerous since the virus. Mostly because there are always those who see themselves above someone else. This city has gone through several wars so to say. There has always been someone wanting to be king or queen. But now… The City has… Let’s say… Kind of a Gray eminence. There is a tribe… The MORAIS. they stay in the background. No one knows where they live. No one knows how many people belong to them. No one knows if their leader is a woman or a man… "

I raise a brow and she stops talking, laughs loud “No don’t go thinking I am the leader. I don’t like the life in the shadows. I don’t like the tribal lifestyle.”

“But you ARE a leader anyway or?” Sam asks, Deliah gives her an appraising smile “God I do LOVE smart people! You three use your brain instead only your sexy asses! Yes. I am a leader. I lead the community of those who live the not so normal life. Who like to be on their own or maybe just a group of two or three. We don’t need leaders who ristrict us. We do our businesses. Everyone looks after themselves… But as it is… We always stick up for each other too. We keep the secrets of others. And we fight for our way of life if necessary. Not every scammer in town of course belongs here. The Serpents for example seem to like their settled down life in the mall. They, are protected by their useful abilities. I am here protected by my bar. Even evil subjects need a drink… Or some fun to relax. There are bars in sector 4…but those are more for the girly girls showing off their legs… Or the guys who like looking at them. But here… In the SALT & SASSY… a lot of deals are done. I don’t care if for good or bad. We don’t pry into people’s business.”

“Okay. But… What… Why are those people then dangerous? What to they actually DO?” I sign to her. “That’s the point. They don’t like if someone comes trying real changes. Two years back a tribe came along whose leader tried to encourage town people to do votes… Have a government… A school… Work on farms together…” “That’s not bad ideas…?!” “No it isn’t… But they made them dissappear. The whole tribe. People get mouthy to the wrong person? They are never seen again… They are like…”

“Mafia!” Kyle says. Deliah nods. “Even speaking about them can mean danger. So we don’t talk openly at last…”

“Clever. They, get the best of everything probably, spread fear, but stay hidden so no one would even know who to fight, how to rebel!” Sam says now. I nod “Being king without sitting on a throne… Getting taxes by getting all the big businesses kind of… Without doing anything for the city…” I sign to Deliah. She nods. “Yep…”

“So… You’re not afraid WE are Morais?” I ask signing Morais letter for letter.

“No. You know… There are of course rumors. The rumors you get is that whenever someone encountered a Morai he or she is described as normal looking. Like just every scammer, trader and whatever can look. But you three? You stick out. Kyle maybe not as much, though he wears this knife around his leg with more pride then people around here do. But Sam… With her blonde hair, clad in tight leather… Then a whip on her belt? And then you… Silver hair… A bow… I don’t think anyone would call you ordinary…”

I shrug, ignoring the heat that flushes my face. “We usually blend in into the trader and scammer scene…” I sign. " Probably. There are people who only see what they want… They see you three being armed and offering good deals and don’t ask. But I ask. I knew are different the moment my bouncer told me that you three offer us meat for just having a table. I understood that you three are independent. You don’t care to pay way more then the occasional traveler because you have more. But then you aren’t arrogant and ask for special treatment, but just a little privacy. That’s special."

“Okay. We are different. Got it. So… But that’s not the reason you got us here… Or are open to us…” I sign. “Indeed it’s not. Where are you staying?”

I blink at the sudden change of topic. “Nowhere by now… Why?” “What if I can offer you a place? It’s safe, considerably clean…” “What do you want?” “Just your services.” “You mean… I go hunting for fresh meat… And you let us stay in that place?”

“You’ll learn soon how much meat is worth around here! And I saw Sam giving that redhead some herbs? Medical treatment is rare those days…”

I look at my two, both look unsure back.

“How will you be sure I am not still a Morai? Maybe they decide its time to take reign openly? How do you know you can trust us? I understand that you are exactly what the Morais could consider a danger… With people following you…”

She grins and snips her fingers. Faster then I thought possible three of the guys attack Sam. One rips her whip away, the other grabs her arms tightly. Sam kicks backwards and the guy huffs off pain, but keeps a firm grib. I hold Kyle back “What’s that now?”

“Well… You spoke the truth. Actually I can’t really trust you. So here is a deal. You don’t need to work for me, you get the flat if I can keep Sam…” “What?” “She’s just a pretty girl… Guys like you can find a replacement. I saw her wrapping my bouncer and Mike around her finger. I am missing a blonde bartender.”

“I am not a whore!” Sam shouts. “I rather jump from the next bridge then selling myself to drunken asses!” “Don’t worry sweetie. My girls here all do it out of free will. I wouldn’t force you to that. Just bartending… A little flirting.”

“No way… Let her go. Look. I can’t tell you for how long we are here. We might have another place to stay soon…” Deliah sighs “Okay… But I’d like to get a payment for letting her free then… I want your bow!”

“That’s crazy. You want him to hunt… How should he without…” Kyle roars, struggling agai st my firm hold. “Guys like you don’t need weapons to hunt…” She says dismissive.

“What’s up silver? Sam or your bow?” “No… Phoenix… No!” Sam shouts “Go… Take Kyle and RUN!”. But I just smile at her “It’s just a weapon. Nothing is more worth to me then Kyle and you…”

I step forward and hold my bow out to Deliah. She must see my shaking hand. This is more then just a weapon. Its like giving my arm. But for Sam…

It’s silent a moment… Another moment… And then laughter let’s the room vibrate. Confused I watch as they let Sam go, who twirls around and makes sure to kick the guys groin. That sends the others into even more laughing fits.

“See? That’s how I know I can trust you. You give your pride… You’ll give whatever… For Sam. For Kyle… Sam not pleading you guys saving her, but telling you to search safety… I don’t need to know your secrets. Just your hearts…” She signs and slides from the boxes.

“Drinks on the house for you three. I’ll show you to the place later…enjoy the rest of the evening… I hope this little scene here won’t taint our friendship…”

She winks, while walking past me, pinching my rear in the process “You have good taste girl… Those two are a good choice!” She grins at Sam who now has now her whip back.

“Sorry… Deliah likes a show…” Mike whispers to us as he also leaves.

We look at each other. Sam comes close and snap Kyle and I hold a burning cheek. “Sam?!” Kyle shouts. “If I say leave it… Go…then you do! I am not a damsel in distress!” Then she leans to us and kisses our unhurt cheeks “But still… Thanks. Now…” She opens the door.

“This lady needs a drink… Who can help me there?” She shouts, attracting several guys who jump around her.

Kyle shakes his head at me “Women! Barking mad!” I nod wildly, while I follow him.

No one seems to have registered what was going on. I eye Deliah while she now serves again. I weirdly still trust her…

1 Like