The 12 Fics of Christmas

Marshmallow World

Written: 2015
Synopsis: A lift home from winter camp from Bray and Ebony turns sinister for Lex. Pretribe Christmas one-shot written for the Tribe Universe Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015.

Original challenge:

Season, if you have preference: pretribe
Character(s): Bray, Ebony, Lex, Tai San (and feel free to add any characters you see suitable)
Pairing (If you want a pairing):
3 lines or items that you would like in your story:

1. “If this goes on any longer, I’m gonna hunt something.”
  2. gingerbread house
  3. "Who we are and who we have to be to survive are two very different things.”

Also a picture prompt of the four characters in a car from an old promo shot.

‘Have a good Christmas, Lex,’ Ryan said cheerfully, slinging his pack over one shoulder as he made his way to the bus. ‘See you in a couple of weeks,’ he called back, turning briefly to wave to his friend. Lex raised a hand half-heartedly in return before turning his back on the rest of the chattering students making their way onto the bus or into cars.

‘No, mom, camp’s finished now. Where’s dad?’ He looked over his shoulder once more, scanning all the adults present in search of his father, to no avail, while his mother, on the other end of the telephone, replied.

‘Today is Friday,’ he sighed, sending a stone skittering across the tarmac with the tip of his boot. ‘Look, is dad coming or not?’

The sound of the bus’ engine and the crunch of gravel under its wheels as it made its exit muffled the reply.

‘He’s where? In jail? What’s he done this time? Actually, you know what, I don’t care. Can’t you come and get me?’ He paused, listening. ‘The car’s been towed. For evidence. Great. No I can’t get the bus, it just left. Yeah I could get the next one, in two hours . Well thanks for nothing, mom.’ He shook his head as he hung up and shoved the phone back in his pocket. Something cold and wet touched his nose and he looked up to see snowflakes starting to fall. ‘Oh come on!’ he shouted to the heavens. ‘Seriously?’

The revving of a car engine caught his attention and he waved his arms in the air. ‘Hey, wait up!’ he yelled, running towards the vehicle, a garish yellow convertible. His heart sank as the passenger side window rolled down to reveal a smug-looking Ebony. They hadn’t exactly crossed paths before, but everybody knew Ebony. Few liked her, past her obvious charms at least.

‘Going somewhere?’ she smirked. It was obvious that he wasn’t.

‘You heading back to the city?’ he asked, ignoring the dig.

‘Maybe,’ Ebony replied. ‘Eventually. We were going to drive out into the countryside. Have a bit of…alone time.’

Lex narrowed his eyes angrily, then a voice called from the driver’s side of the vehicle. ‘Yes, we’re going to the city,’ the driver said. ‘Hop in.’ With a triumphant grin, Lex did just that, opening the door and throwing in his rucksack before following himself.

‘What’s your name?’ Ebony’s latest squeeze asked, brushing his mane of dark hair out of his eyes as he swivelled in his seat. Lex vaguely recognised him from the basketball team. Figured.

‘Lex,’ he answered.

‘I’m Bray,’ the other guy replied, offering his hand. ‘Nice to meet you Lex.’

‘Um, thanks for the lift,’ Lex said, shaking Bray’s hand awkwardly, at the same time catching Ebony’s eyes in the mirror. He smirked slightly and fire flashed across her gaze.

Ignorant of what was going on, Bray cleared the snow that had started to settle on the windscreen with the wipers and pulled out of the car park.

‘So Lex,’ Ebony purred as they joined the small country road that would eventually lead back to the city. ‘How come nobody was here to pick you up?’

‘Ebony!’ Bray exclaimed as Lex clenched his fists.

‘What? I’m just making conversation,’ she replied in a way that implied that she wouldn’t have had to if Bray hadn’t invited Lex in.

‘How did you find camp, Lex?’ Bray asked, changing the subject.

‘It was alright,’ Lex shrugged. ‘Better than being in school.’ In truth, this three day excursion to a forest cabin out of the city had also been a welcome break from his family, but that was nobody’s business but his.

The awkward smalltalk came to an end and silence filled the vehicle, except for the swish of the wipers as the snow began to get heavier. Lex was glad he wasn’t still at the cabin, waiting for the next local bus to the city.

As the evening quickly drew on, Bray turned his headlights on, which was how Lex saw her. Up ahead, trudging through the mounting snow on the grass verge alongside the road was a girl in a long winter coat and carrying a backpack. He didn’t recognise her but the girl’s headscarf identified her as being from the same school as the rest of them.

‘What kind of fruitcake walks all the way back to the city from winter camp?’ Lex scoffed.

‘Maybe one whose parents didn’t want to pick them up,’ Ebony joked. Lex scowled.

‘Hey, I know her,’ Bray said as they drove past. ‘She’s in some of my classes.’

Ebony twisted in her seat to look back the way they had come. ‘Oh, not that freak who tried to set all the animals in the science labs free and won’t eat anything in the canteen?’

‘They shouldn’t be caged like that,’ Bray argued. ‘We can learn all we need to know without them.’

‘Look, whatever, she’s still…wait, what are you doing? Don’t stop the car. Bray, do not stop this car.’ The wheels crunched through fresh, powdery snow as they pulled onto the verge and the car came to a halt. Ebony sighed. ‘We’ll never get back to the city if you keep stopping to pick up every waif and stray on the way,’ she complained. There was no reply. ‘Java says she’s a witch, you know,’ she added sulkily, folding her arms.

Bray barked a laugh. ‘Well that’s the pot calling the kettle black right there!’

‘Hey, that’s my sister you’re talking about!’

‘You’ve called her worse yourself!’

‘That’s different, I…’

‘Tai San! You want a lift back to the city?’ Bray called as the girl caught up to where they had parked.

‘Oh no, thank you,’ the girl declined. ‘The walk will do me good.’

‘In this weather?’ Bray questioned. ‘Come on, get in. Please? I’ll worry about you otherwise.’

Ebony scoffed as Bray turned on the charm. Tai San bent slightly to look inside the vehicle, then nodded. ‘Ok,’ she said, smiling. ‘Thank you.’ The door opened and Lex grabbed his bag off the seat, stuffing it carelessly by his feet as she got in beside him. They hit the road again and Lex watched as Tai San removed her wet headscarf and spread it out carefully over her knees before folding it into ever smaller triangles and placing it in her coat pocket.

‘What did you think of camp, Tai San?’ Bray asked. Ebony tutted. Lex rolled his eyes; not this again!

‘It was a little disappointing,’ Tai San answered. ‘For a retreat, I thought there would be more opportunities for personal reflection.’

‘It’s winter camp,’ Ebony said. ‘It’s supposed to be about having fun.’

‘Fun is important,’ Tai San agreed. ‘But so is meditation. And fasting. They help us to appreciate Christmas time and balance out the overindulgence.’

‘Is that why you were walking all the way back to the city?’ Bray asked, interested.

‘Yes.’

‘Aren’t you cheating sitting in here with us then?’ Lex pointed out.

‘Perhaps it is my fate to be here with the three of you tonight,’ Tai San smiled enigmatically. ‘Perhaps it was yours to be here with me.’ Her eyes twinkled and Lex sunk lower in his seat, turning up his collar so that it hid most of his face. They were starting to see more cars on the road now, and he didn’t want to risk any of his friends who were also coming back from camp seeing him in a car with the school loser. Tai San smiled knowingly and he shivered. Maybe she really was a witch.

‘Hey, Bray,’ he called out. ‘Pull over a second will you? I need to pee.’ That wiped the smile off Tai San’s face.

‘You should have gone before you left,’ Ebony said, as Bray pulled over onto the verge once more. ‘But of course Bray’s going to stop the car. Again.’

Lex hopped out of the car and on to the verge, trudging with difficulty through the deepening snow and into the trees out of view of the road. He needed to get away from the car and its crazy occupants for a minute. And he really did need to pee.

After he had done his business he started making his way back out to the road, and that was when the idea hit him. Instead of coming out where he had entered, he walked a short distance back the way they had come, emerging about a hundred metres behind the car. He crept towards it, trying to keep low and out of sight, then when he was finally up against the vehicle he smacked his hand against the window where Tai San was sitting and screamed. ‘Help! It’s got me! It’s got me!’ he cried, dragging his hand down the window pane. He sank to the ground laughing as he was rewarded with a shriek from inside.

Bray stuck his head out of the window. ‘Cut it out Lex,’ he said, looking unimpressed. ‘Get back in the car.’

He got up, wiping a laughter tear from the corner of his eye, and hopped back in. Tai San glared at him. Ebony remained silent – any comment on his prank would force her to sympathise with either him or Tai San, and she was clearly saving up all her sympathy for Christmas. Bray put his foot down and the party wagon rumbled on into the night once more. Lex chuckled at the miserable faces around him.

If they hoped the rest of their journey would pass more smoothly, they were in for a disappointment. The number of vehicles on the road as they got closer to the city continued to increase, and with the worsening weather they soon found themselves in a traffic jam. If he closed his eyes, Lex could see a perfect copy of the roadsign outside his window burned onto his retina, that’s how long he’d been staring at it. Sticking his head out of the window for a change of scenery, he found a trail of brakelights stretching ahead as far as the eye could see. Some of the drivers were sounding their horns to show their frustration, but it wasn’t getting them anywhere any faster.

He pulled his head inside with a sigh, and his stomach complained loudly. ‘If this goes on any longer, I’m gonna hunt something,’ he said matter-of-factly. ‘I mean, there must be something out in those woods, right? Rabbit? Deer? Hey, anyone fancy Rudolph burgers?’

Bray snorted. ‘You got a shotgun on you then, Lex?’ he teased.

Ebony turned around to look Lex up and down. ‘If he’s packing anything,’ she said. ‘Then it must be very, very small.’ She turned back with a self-satisfied smirk and Lex’s eyes narrowed.

‘I don’t need no gun,’ he said, holding has hands up, palms facing himself. ‘Just these. You don’t need a weapon to strangle something, to squeeze its life out with your bare hands.’ He mimicked doing just that, twisting his hands around an imaginary foe’s neck. It was just a coincidence that Ebony was sitting right in front of him. ‘To feel the heat of their blood pumping beneath your fingers,’ he continued. ‘To hear the snap of their neck…’

‘What’s everybody doing for Christmas?’ Tai San interrupted, looking decidedly pale. Lex settled back into his seat contentedly. He’d made his point.

Bray was happy enough to change the subject. ‘Nothing special,’ he answered. ‘Just spending it with family.’

‘Isn’t your dad overseas at the minute?’ Ebony asked. There was an ominous silence.

‘You’ve been talking to Martin, haven’t you?’ Bray said quietly. ‘I thought you said you were going to stay away from my brother?’

‘I…I have,’ she replied sounding flustered. ‘I just overheard him telling somebody as I passed by. You’ve got to believe me, Bray!’

Lex was quite enjoying seeing Ebony on the back foot. That is until he caught her gaze in the rear view mirror again and realised she was completely in control. No doubt she was deliberately trying to wind Bray up, to make him jealous, for whatever reason. Maybe she was getting her own back after Bray’s charm offensive with Tai San earlier. Lex didn’t know, or care. As she and Bray continued to bicker, he dug out his earphones, drowning them out with the new Rancid Phlegm album. Bliss!

Some time later his peace was disturbed by the jolting of the car. ‘Where are we?’ he asked, realising that the lights of the cars in front had been replaced by the darkness of a dirt road that was most definitely not the road to the city.

‘We finally managed to take a turning off the main road,’ Bray explained. ‘Tai San knows a shortcut.’

‘A shortcut?’ he said with scepticism.

‘When the path around the mountain is blocked,’ Tai San murmured. ‘The high passes seem inviting.’

‘Eh?’

‘In other words,’ Ebony translated. ‘This might be the long way round but at least we’re moving.’

The undisturbed snow on this road was thick and, though they initially made good progress, it wasn’t long before they started to slow down, eventually coming to a stop altogether as the car refused to budge. Bray tried reversing back the way they had come and was met with the same resistance. They were well and truly stuck.

‘This might be the long way round but at least we’re moving,’ Lex mocked.

‘Can it, will you!’ Ebony snapped. ‘Bray, we have to do something. We can’t sit here and freeze.’

‘We’re going to have to get out and walk,’ Bray decided. ‘Either find somewhere to shelter or someone we can borrow equipment from to dig ourselves out.’ With a sigh, he opened the door and stepped out into the snow. The others followed. Ebony was right, they couldn’t just sit there.

For what seemed like forever they trudged through the snow, hoods up and coats held tightly against themselves. Lights finally started to appear in the distance and they moved towards them like moths to a flame. As they drew closer, they couldn’t believe their eyes.

‘What the hell?’ Lex exclaimed as a building came into view.

‘Is that…’ Ebony began, but was unable to finish.

‘A gingerbread house,’ Bray confirmed. ‘An actual gingerbread house.’

As unbelievable as it seemed, they couldn’t deny their own eyes. There it stood, tall and golden brown, with crafted sugar windows and candy canes lining the path to the door.

‘How has this been here all the time without anybody knowing about it?’ Lex asked incredulously.

‘Maybe it’s a temporary thing,’ Tai San mused. ‘We haven’t seen a paper or news report for three days, remember. Perhaps it’s something that’s been set up for Christmas.’

‘Whatever it is, the lights are on,’ Bray pointed out. ‘And this could be the only place for miles around.’ He started off down the path and the others followed him. Lex pulled up one of the candy canes along the way and started licking it. It tasted real enough.

‘Lex!’ Tai San gave a scandalised whisper at his wanton destruction.

As they reached the door, Bray knocked tentatively. It sounded pleasingly crisp and was obviously baked to perfection, but nobody answered. They waited a while, then Ebony tried the pink marshmallow doorknob. It turned and the door opened.

‘Hello?’ Tai San called out. There was no reply.

‘There’s nobody in,’ Lex said confidently, and stepped through. Inside it was like a perfect little cottage, if cottages were made out of biscuit. One large room with gingerbread walls and gingerbread furniture, with details picked out in marshmallows and other sweet delights. The only normal thing about it was the log fire at one end of the room, making it deliciously warm, quite literally. Tai San held her hands in front of it while the others were drawn to the gingerbread table, where four mugs of hot chocolate stood on cookie coasters.

‘Hey! It’s still warm!’ Lex cried, noticing the steam rising from the cups.

‘Maybe we should be careful,’ Bray warned. ‘Whoever made these could be back any second.’

‘I don’t care, I’m freezing!’ Ebony retorted, draining the mug and then, for good measure, eating that as well, leaving only crumbs. Lex waited to make sure she suffered no ill effects before doing the same.

‘Mm, this is good,’ Bray announced. ‘Why don’t you join us Tai San?’

‘I don’t think so,’ she replied, coming over to the table and eyeing the fourth mug with disdain. ‘I only drink herbal tea.’

‘What a surprise,’ Ebony muttered under her breath. Now that the fireplace was free she went over to it, taking her jacket off and hanging it on a chair nearby to dry. ‘Ah, that’s better,’ she sighed contentedly.

Lex lifted his nose to the air as the smell of Christmas spices wafted through the room. ‘Oh man, is something baking?’ he asked excitedly. His parents weren’t much into Christmas baking, or indeed any kind of baking, and his mouth began to water at the thought.

Bray got up stiffly, rubbing his neck. ‘Wow, I must have really tensed up after all that driving,’ he said, moving awkwardly to the oven. ‘Better not let it burn, whatever it is. I wonder what’s happened to whoever lives here.’ His hand stopped abruptly halfway to the temperature knob.

‘What’s up?’ Lex asked.

‘The oven isn’t switched on,’ Bray replied, bending painfully to open the door. ‘And…it’s empty.’

‘Then where’s the smell coming from?’

‘I think…’ Tai San said softly. ‘I think it’s Ebony.’

The boys turned towards the fireplace, Bray with some difficulty, and paused. Ebony stood with her arms outstretched by the fire, steam rising from her hands, which were turning golden brown. In fact her whole body seemed to be…flattening, her features losing their detail as the colour spread from her arms to her chest and down to her legs. Her face was the last to go, a grimace of useless struggle turning into a fixed, wide smile, and then there she stood, a full-sized gingerbread person with her clothing marked out in red and black icing.

Wide-eyed and mouth agape, Lex found himself gripping onto the candy cane he had taken from outside in terror. Realising this, he loosened his grip, or tried to. He couldn’t let go. Looking down at his hand he found that the candy cane was stuck there by some sort of doughy substance.

‘Bray!’ he yelled across the table. ‘What’s going on?!’ But Bray wore a vacant expression, his features starting to become more elongated and angular as he went through his own transformation.

Lex jumped out of his seat, making a squelching noise as more dough came off him and stuck to the furniture, while each step left doughy footprints on the floor. ‘Tai San! Do something!’ he pleaded.

‘I am doing something,’ she replied calmly. ‘I’m turning you into a gingerbread man.’ She crossed over to Ebony and, to Lex’s horror, took a bite out of her neck. ‘Ugh, far too bitter,’ she complained, tearing off Ebony’s head and casually throwing it into the fire. ‘But you look much tastier, Lex.’

‘You?!’ Lex cried as panic well and truly set in. ‘But why, Tai San?’ He turned to run but was caught by the wooden arms of a giant toy soldier, wearing Bray’s face.

‘Why? Well, I’m a witch, Lex,’ Tai San replied. ‘Or hadn’t you heard? I’m glad you like my house, though I’m very cross about my fencepost.’

Lex struggled against Bray’s hold, but his doughy body was stuck fast. ‘Come on Bray, snap out of it!’ he begged, but it was no use. Soldier Bray marched him over to the fire, where he started to bake. ‘I don’t understand,’ he said to Tai San. ‘You’re supposed to be all “save the animals”, peace and love and all that!’

‘Who we are and who we have to be to survive are two very different things,’ she said simply. ‘Now come on Lex, give me a hand will you?’ And she snapped off his left arm. Lex screamed…

…And woke with a start in the back of the car, Rancid Phlegm still playing through his earphones. Ebony snorted with laughter, and even Bray chuckled.

He removed his earphones, looking around with wide, confused eyes. It was still snowing, but they had reached the city, somewhere in Sector 5 if he wasn’t mistaken.

‘Bad dream, Lex?’ Tai San asked, again with that knowing smile. He shivered.

‘Here you go, Tai San,’ Bray said, pulling up outside a house that, Lex was pleased to note, was not made of gingerbread.

‘Thank you Bray,’ she said, opening the door and stepping out. ‘Happy Christmas!’

‘Happy Christmas!’ Bray echoed. Ebony murmured something non-committal.

Lex sighed with relief, then a knock on the window had him practically leaping out of his skin.

‘Have a good Christmas, Lex!’ Tai San’s muffled voice called through the glass. He watched as she walked down the path and into the house.

‘Bit jumpy tonight, aren’t we?’ Ebony teased as they pulled away from the kerb.

‘Don’t worry Lex, she doesn’t bite,’ Bray added.

Lex gulped.

2 Likes

The Christmas Angel

Written: 2016
Synopsis: Rejected by Salene, May flees the mall and drowns her sorrows in Reality Space. But is the virtual world any better? Written for the Tribe Revival Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2016. Very loosely based on It’s A Wonderful Life.

Original challenge:

Season, if you have preference: 3,5,7 (the second book)
Character(s): MR main characters
Pairing (If you want a pairing): canon ones
3 lines or items that you would like in your story:

1. “If something helps you survive, it’s always the right thing - you do what it takes.”
  2. SNOW
  3. “It’s refreshing to be around people who understand technology.”

May ran through the city streets, not caring where she was going or who saw her. All she wanted was to put as much distance between herself and the mall as possible. It wasn’t the first time she’d left the tribe; since the Virus it had been the way of the world that if you didn’t look after number one then you wouldn’t last long, so it paid to keep a certain level of detachment from the others. Joining the Chosen. Being kicked out of the Mallrats after spying on them for Mega. She knew she would never win any prizes for being a good person, but she’d been forced to live by the rule that if something helps you survive, it’s always the right thing – you do what it takes. Only this time it was different. What she needed to survive was back at the mall, but she couldn’t have it. Salene didn’t want her, at least not in the way that she wanted Salene. She had opened up to her in a way that she never had for anyone else, and in return she had been rejected. Humiliated and heartbroken, she now found herself in the only other place she felt at home, out on the streets.

Pausing to wipe the moisture from her cheeks, she took a look at her surroundings. Empty buildings rose up around her, just as you’d find in most areas of the city. There were a few signs of life if you looked hard enough – a discarded scarf here, a Techno propaganda poster there – but for the most part the area was deserted. She had used to like it that way; there was less danger, and it was easier to see yourself as top dog when there was nobody else around. The sole survivor. But being a Mallrat had made her soft. All she felt now was cold and lonely. What she needed was a bar or a casino, preferably where nobody knew her, where she could drown her sorrows alone but in company. It took a little more wandering before she found what she was looking for. Almost hidden away down a side street, a small round sign sticking out from one of the buildings proclaimed Angel’s Paradise Café. The sign showed a figure in a white robe wearing a Paradise headset. She’d never heard of the place before. Given how fresh the paint on the sign was, it was probably new. Small chance of finding somebody she knew in there. It was perfect. There were no bouncers outside, so she opened the door and walked in.

Once inside, she knew she wouldn’t be disturbed by anybody – there was nobody there. The only other person in the room was a boy she took to be the owner, tinkering with a Paradise headset at one of the tables.

‘Oh, hello,’ the boy said, looking up in surprise. He put the headset down and rose to greet her. ‘I’m Angel,’ he said, offering a hand. She shook it.

‘May,’ she replied, casting her eyes around the room and taking in the technology, Angel’s stiff posture and the formal way in which he had greeted her. ‘Ex-Techno?’ she guessed.

He nodded, somewhat self-consciously. ‘Didn’t really work out,’ he explained. ‘I felt like a career change.’

‘I’m not sure that this is working out either,’ she pointed out, gesturing at the empty tables.

Angel shrugged. ‘I’m still just getting set up really. But hey, as my very first customer can I interest you in a taste of Paradise? On the house.’

May pulled a face. The bar would have been more her thing but that didn’t look like it was stocked up yet. ‘I’m not really into all that Paradise stuff.’

‘Hey, your dreams are as real as you make them,’ Angel replied seriously.

May snorted and rolled her eyes but Angel was still looking at her expectantly, and the only alternative was to go back outside into the cold. ‘Oh alright then,’ she sighed.

‘Excellent!’ Angel smiled, picking up a headset. ‘Well, I guess I’d better explain how it works first.’

‘I know how it all works,’ she said, giving a dismissive wave. ‘Just stick that headset on before I change my mind.’

Angel chuckled. ‘It’s refreshing to be around people who understand technology,’ he said. ‘I haven’t really had that since I left the Technos. What tribe are you with?’

‘Good question,’ May answered.

‘Ah.’ Angel turned the headset around in his hands awkwardly for a moment before regaining his composure. ‘Well. One new feature to point out,’ he said, indicating a dial on the outside of the device. ‘With this you have full control over how close to reality your experience is.’ He handed the headset to her and she took it, looking at the dial.

‘How close to reality?’ She knew what she wanted most in the world and, after Salene’s rejection earlier, knew just how unlikely that was. ‘Not very,’ she snorted, turning the dial as far as it would go in the other direction. She put the headset on.

‘Ok, here goes,’ Angel said as he turned on the machine. ‘Enjoy!’

Almost immediately the room was filled with people. Music filled the air and there was a relaxed, happy atmosphere. She looked to the bar, where Angel stood wiping a glass with a cloth. He raised it to her in greeting and gestured to the door. She smiled, knowing where she had to go. Outside a thick layer of snow had fallen, unmarked by footprints despite the crowd inside the café. She remembered how cold it had been when she entered, but here in the simulation she didn’t feel it. Everything flickered for a moment as she became aware of reality, but she ignored it, wanting to get to the mall. She turned a corner and there it was, suddenly appearing before her. Outside, Sammy and Gel were busy building snowmen by the entrance. They must have made at least a dozen already. Laughing at the two younger Mallrats having fun, she made her way inside.

When she made it through the grille she stared in wonder – the mall was decked out with Christmas decorations from floor to ceiling. Tinsel was wrapped all the way along the railings of the stairs and the upper balcony, and a huge tree with twinkling lights stood in the central court, topped with a Mallrat amulet.

‘Isn’t it wonderful?’ a voice said.

‘We found it all in the attic,’ said another.

May gave a start when she realised who it was. ‘Patsy? Cloe? What are you two doing here?’

‘We came back!’ Patsy exclaimed, as if that explained everything.

‘And we’re not the only ones either. Come on!’ Cloe took May’s hand and led her further into the mall. Over by the fountain she saw Jack and Ellie hugging Alice, and Amber was walking down the stairs holding hands with Bray.

‘With the snow outside and all the Mallrats back, we just had to celebrate,’ Amber explained. ‘It’s a Christmas miracle!’

‘Ho ho ho!’ Lex called from the top of the stairs, dressed as Father Christmas and with one arm around Tai San. May’s eyes nearly popped out of her head. Everything flickered again.

‘May!’

She felt butterflies in her stomach and turned to see Salene entering the mall.

‘Salene?’

‘It’s so good to see you!’ Salene smiled, running up to her and planting a kiss on her lips. May jerked back in shock, looking at the rest of the Mallrats, but they all just smiled or waved, happy for the two of them, even Lex.

‘What’s wrong?’ Salene asked as May held her at arm’s length.

May shook her head, confused. ‘You. Us. All this.’

‘Isn’t this what you wanted?’ Salene asked. ‘A home? A family? Me?’ She tried to embrace her once again but May pushed her away.

‘It’s too much,’ she cried, fleeing the mall for the second time that day. Outside she was confronted by dozens of Sammy and Gel’s jolly-looking snowmen, as far as the eye could see.

‘It’s all too much!’ she yelled, grabbing a nearby shovel and swinging it at the nearest snowman, beheading it. Rather than giving her what she wanted, the simulation seemed to be teasing her with everything she couldn’t have. As reality closed in, the Paradise vision flickered and died. Everything went black. She reached up to remove the headset but met with resistance. It was Angel.

‘What are you doing?’ she asked, panicking.

‘Trust me,’ he said. ‘Let’s just try something a little more real.’ As she struggled, she heard the reality dial click as it turned back the other way, then everything seemed to lurch to one side, like she was falling.

Her fingers were cold. She was on her hands and knees in the snow. Slowly she stood, drying her hands on her leggings above the wet patches where she had been kneeling, and rubbing her fingers to bring back the warmth.

‘You alright May?’ Sammy asked hesitantly. He and Gel were in front of the mall, building a snowman that was looking a little lopsided.

‘I’m fine,’ she replied, though she wasn’t really sure.

‘You should go inside and warm up,’ Gel added. ‘Trudy’s made hot chocolate.’

‘Thanks,’ she said. That did sound good. She entered the mall, wondering what she would find inside.

In the courtyard, Jack was slinging lights around the phoenix statue, and Ellie was busy decorating the place with branches of holly from the bush outside the mall.

‘May! Come in and get warm,’ Amber called as she came down the stairs. ‘What do you think? With the change in the weather we thought we’d celebrate old school style.’

‘Ho ho freaking ho,’ Lex muttered as he followed behind her wearing a Santa hat.

‘Trudy’s promised to try and mull some wine if he keeps it on all night,’ Amber explained. May laughed in spite of herself.

‘May!’

She felt butterflies in her stomach and turned to see Salene entering the mall.

Everything went black as she took the headset off.

‘Wait, what’s wrong?’ Angel asked, sounding alarmed. ‘Was it really that bad?’ He looked at her as though he could see his whole business failing before his eyes. He couldn’t even satisfy one customer.

‘No, it was better,’ she said. ‘I just didn’t want to spoil the moment. Dreams are all well and good but sometimes you have to face reality. It’s less disappointing that way.’

‘Hey, what did I tell you? Dreams are…’

‘As real as you make them, yeah yeah…’ she finished. ‘Seriously though, this has helped.’ She tapped the headset and Angel smiled, feeling better.

‘Good luck with it all, eh?’ she said, bidding Angel farewell.

‘Same to you,’ he waved as she left the café.

It was still bitterly cold as she made her way back to the mall. In fact halfway there it did indeed start to snow. By the time she reached the grille it had begun to settle lightly on the ground.

Outside the mall, Gel was standing open-mouthed, looking at the sky. It had been a long time since it had last snowed in the city. She probably couldn’t remember seeing it.

Just as she was about to say something to the younger Mallrat, a tiny snowball flew out from behind a bush and hit Gel on the back of the neck. She shrieked and turned around. A mop of flame-coloured hair ducked behind the bush.

‘Sammy, you rat!’ Gel screamed. 'You wait ‘til I get my hands on you!’

Sammy fled round the side of the building with Gel in pursuit. May smiled, shaking her head, and walked inside.

‘May, there you are!’ Ellie exclaimed as she entered. She came to greet her, pulling Jack along with her. ‘Have you seen the weather?’

‘Yeah,’ she replied. And then, because she couldn’t resist. ‘Just like Christmas.’

‘Now that’s not actually a bad idea,’ Amber chimed in as she came down the stairs. Lex and Trudy followed her.

‘Christmas? Humbug!’ Lex muttered.

‘Oh come on Lex, why not after the year we’ve had?’ Trudy chided.

‘Throw in some mulled wine and maybe I’ll think about it.’

Trudy’s eyes sparkled with determination. ‘Challenge accepted!’ she replied. Lex blinked, unsure as to what he had just gotten himself into.

‘You know, I’m sure there must be an old box of decorations somewhere,’ Jack said. ‘Come on Ellie, let’s go have a look.’

‘Great idea May,’ Amber said, squeezing her shoulder. ‘This is just what we need to bring the tribe together.’

‘It’s probably something Tai San would have done,’ Lex agreed reluctantly.

‘May!’

She felt butterflies in her stomach and turned to see Salene entering the mall. She wished she was still wearing the headset so she could take it off. But this was real.

‘I was worried about you!’ Salene continued, hurrying over to give her a hug. ‘You ran off and were gone so long, and it was so cold outside…are you alright?’

‘I’m fine Salene,’ she said, smiling.

‘Really?’ Salene asked again, more quietly. This time she wasn’t talking about the weather.

‘Really,’ she replied, looking her in the eye. Salene blushed, but was saved from having to say anything further by the return of Jack and Ellie.

‘There was a box of decorations!’ Ellie announced, bringing it over and blowing the dust off. Inside were some faded paper chains, tinsel, and a few dented baubles.

‘And we don’t have a tree, but I did find this magnificent branch,’ Jack added, holding up what could be better described as a large twig. It was enough though. The decorations, such as they were, and the twig.

‘It’s enough,’ May murmured, stealing a glance at Salene while she was joking with Jack about the twig. Maybe one day Salene would return her feelings. Maybe she wouldn’t. Even reality space couldn’t predict the future. But she had a home, and she had a family, and – for now at least – that was enough.

She rummaged around in the box of decorations and found a little cardboard angel at the bottom. She straightened out the wings a bit and stuck it on top of the Christmas twig.

‘Thanks,’ she said, smiling contentedly.

1 Like

Read Marshmallow World before too!

I’ve read many “old” secret santa stuff that is posted here. But if course there isn’t the name of the writer posted along there.

It’s a funny little story. Lex definitely having a comical air here. Though his background story with his parents is sad.

Ebony in her best bitch mode makes me shake my head and think if this Bray is kind of dumb (being with her) :joy:

I like that it is a mix of Christmas and “horror” story.

I will read the other one tomorrow while having breakfast :blush:

1 Like

I think Marshmallow World is one of my favourites. It was fun to do something a bit wacky.

You’ve probably read The Christmas Angel before too. That’s definitely on here.

Yes… Read that too before!

Great story! Great go about paradise and the pain a dream version can bring. Good message that reality still is the better place to be and that even when it’s never perfect… That there is the true happiness hidden.

(Though of course I liked the perfect vision May had at first :see_no_evil:)

And I especially like about this story that it really is only the old Mall Rats(beside Gel and Sammy) :heart:

Thank you for posting those stories again and bringing a bit of Christmas feeling along :kissing_heart:

1 Like