Wish Upon A Star

Chapter 10: Waiting Out the Storm

What started as a promising drizzle to cool the island’s unhappy inhabitants soon became a terrible storm putting all plans of overtaking or escape to a halt. Sitting on the porch, shaving away the ends of a spear with a pocket knife he’d acquired from Trader, Lex watched his tribe mates scrambling like chickens with their heads cut off. Back and forth they went; carrying loose furniture into empty huts and looking for ways to tie close the shutters of the inhabited dwellings. He often rolled his eyes at them, thinking they were missing the bigger threat. He was incredibly on edge with the Guardian around.

Finally, the movement stopped and they headed towards a structure slightly larger than the others, Lex taking up his spear and following behind them. The Mallrats could only guess the room they’d chosen as a safe haven was at some point in time was a recreation room due to the odd games strewn about, an air hockey table, and various toys.

Lex wasted no time in announcing his distaste. “I’m not comfortable knowing he’s around,” he announced testing the tips of his weapon with his fingertips. They all know the ‘he’ their self-appointed sheriff was referring to: The Guardian.

“Funny,” it was Amber, quick to quip, rolling her eyes at the young man. “We women used to say that about you, Lex.”

Lex glared, opening his mouth to defend himself, but clamped it shut quickly. He knew all too well she was right. He’d made a pass at all the women in the tribe, except for Lottie of course.

“I, for one, have to agree with Lex,” Alice chipped in, “This man is outright loony.”

“But right now he’s helpless and unconscious and I’m going to do everything in my power to sustain his life,” Salene said firmly, with her mind made up.

Ebony scowled at her, “Yeah well just keep him away from me, otherwise all your hard work will go to waste. We all know I’m a little less forgiving than most.” Ebony was of course holding a grudge from when Jaffa had attempted to kill her and humiliated her in front of an audience.

“As many times as you were let back into this tribe, you think you would be,” May muttered loud enough to be overheard.

“Who are you to be acting high and mighty, not that I’m taking Ebony’s side, but I seem to recall you being an all around shady character not too long ago,” Trudy broke in.

“Alright, enough!” Taisan interjected. She was tired of the fuss. “We’d all do right just to let Sal do what she is doing; besides we have other matters to fuss about.”

“Exactly, like how do we get off this island when we’re being flooded around mass bodies of water?” Ellie piped in.

The room grew quiet aside from the children playing. It had been raining non-stop for five days now. They had to bail water out of Trader’s boat twice already.

Shrill screams pierced the growing silence. They were those of Gel. Nobody had even noticed she was missing. It was Lex, spear at the ready that went charging out of the room first.

:penta:

“That ghostly man is awake!” Lex found Gel in a panic.

Jay, hot on Lex’s tail couldn’t take Gel and her hysterics. “Sammy, see if you can calm her down,” he suggested, his eyes pleading with the boy.

Salene pushed past the group into the room where Jaffa was sitting upright in the bed staring straight ahead and chanting some gibberish.

She spoke softly to him, coaxing him to lay back down, “You’re fine. I’ll get you some water.”

Ebony, still befuddled at the woman’s care for the Guardian said, “She has always felt the need be the ‘mother’.”

Salene shooed everyone away, shutting the door in their faces. She was going to help this man in any way she could, her future depended on it. At least she hoped she’d benefit from nursing Jaffa back to good health.

During the reunion stage, Amber and Bray had decided to take things slowly, but things were moving at a snail’s pace for Amber, who unlike everyone else didn’t go chasing after Gel’s screams. She hadn’t realized she wasn’t alone.

“You look terrible,” Taisan entered into the kitchenette of the rec room where Amber sat in a stool at the counter.

“Do I? Gosh, I hope it’s not that evident,” Amber panicked.

Tai laughed, “Relax, I was just thinking about your expression.”

Amber sighed, “Oh good, I though maybe my whole heart was displayed on my face.”

“Matters of the heart you say? Are things okay between you and Bray?”

“Oh, things are fine, sure, but…”

“But you wish things were moving at a faster pace?” Taisan finished the sentence for her.

Amber smiled, “Are you a mind reader too, medicine woman?”

Taisan played into the joke, “No, that’s what my crystal ball is for.”

After a small laugh followed by silence, Taisan spoke some more, “I know what you’re going through, it’s hard to get back to that place of ecstasy and joy that was once.”

“Exactly! Am I wrong for loving with my every whim?”

“No, we just have to give it time, though patience is running thin.”

Amber pouted, “I know you’re right, and I know we need to give it time, but I don’t know how much longer my patience will hold. He doesn’t even touch me hardly when we kiss, it’s like I’m diseased.”

“I have faith in you Amber. He’s probably thinking you took things too fast to begin with and he wants to go about things right this time. Just…”

“Give it time, I know, I know.” Amber relented, though her mind was still full of worry. She knew Bray. Something or someone else was on his mind. If she had so easily moved on with Jay, wasn’t it possible he’d have found someone?

Taisan smiled at her, breaking up her thoughts with what she said next. “I have an idea. I think its time for one of our ‘Mallrat’ parties.”

Amber was hesitant to be an enthusiast, but finally gave in to Taisan’s stares, “We may as well, right, to help wait out the storm?” She was starting to gain enthusiasm, “Just make sure there’s no paint or A.I. Zoot’s around.”

They both laughed and set in motion the plans for a party.

2 Likes

Chapter 11: Party

It had not been an easy feat, but Taisan had managed to get almost everyone in the mood for a party. The rainstorms had stopped, for now, and it just seemed like a party was needed. Gel, on the other hand, was hard to reason with when it came to contributing to the tribe gathering.

“Gel, please,” Jack was begging. They wanted music for the party and she was the only air-head to grab any in the event of running for their lives.

“No, no, no, no, no, and no!” She shouted, “I’m not coming and neither is any of my music, and that’s a shame cause I have darn good taste.”

Alice, who was Jack’s partner in the matter, cracked her knuckles, “Let me handle this.”

Jack smiled at the fear that swept over Gel’s face, “No Al, I got this.” He held off the threat, racking his brain for a compromise, “What if I promise you a dance with Lex?”

“He’s a pig! No!”

Alice laughed, “She’s smarter than we think.”

“I can hear you, ya know?” Gel huffed, slamming the door, which prompted more laughter from the older woman.

Jack was losing his patience, “What do you want from us?” His voice had grown whiny in his irritation.

“To be left alone!”

He grunted, his back sliding down the door and Alice smirked down at him. “You should of let me handle it.”

Jack scowled at her then a light bulb went on in his head. “Shampoo, what if I get you shampoo?!

The door opened a crack, “Well why didn’t you say so. Here!” Gel opened the door, making him catch himself before falling backwards. She handed Alice her cd case.

“Scratch one and you die.”

Alice wasn’t threatened in the least and Jack relished in their victory. Together they headed back to the Rec room. With the music, it was time to get the party started.

The last thing May wanted was a party. She was more interested in getting off the island. She was no paradise flower; she was an alley cat, a city crawler. She missed cement and tar land. The closest she got to that on the island was a strip of corroding road that she didn’t dare explore in fear of running into the Technos. She feared them more than The Guardian.

“You want something to drink?” Trader nudged her. He had noticed she was standing by herself off in a corner.

“Unless it’s some real hard stuff, which it’s not, no.” An awkward silence followed. Trader didn’t know how to tell May that what went down between them was something special to him. It wasn’t just some sleazy trade for him when it came to May. He had developed something for her. She was a plague suffocating his mind.

“You uh—want to hit the dance floor?” he swallowed his fear of rejection and asked, hopefully.

May laughed, “You and me? No, I don’t think so.” She walked off leaving him alone.

“Love Jones,” a voice helped him sober from the sting.

“What?” he asked the female voice. Turning to see her face, it was Amber.

“You’re sick with love for her. I can see it in your eyes and demeanor,” Amber smirked.

“Yeah. But some things have gone down between her and me, stuff I don’t think she can overlook, and that I know I’m guilty of.”

“You’ll never know, unless you try…why don’t you just tell her.”

“Like I’ve said, we’ve had this on and off relationship. She wanted me at one point, but now she can’t stand me. And why? Because I’m a sleazy trader. So of course using that four letter word with her is out of the question.”

“I see…” Amber nodded. At least he admitted he was a sleazy trader and that he had some faults.

Amber looked around once more for Bray who had disappeared. A pang of sadness swept over her, but quickly faded. Maybe if he saw her dancing with Trader when he reappeared he’d pay her a bit of attention.

“How about a dance? Since my date has disappeared and May isn’t interested. Let’s show them both what they’re missing out on.”

Trader smiled, “It can’t hurt,” he extended an arm grabbing the one she was offering.

Bray sat alone underneath the stars thinking.

He loved Amber, he truly did, but something or rather someone had interfered with their love. Some things he couldn’t overcome.

There was someone else who had stolen his heart while being with the Technos. His heart shouldn’t have been there on his sleeve for her to steal. It should have been drenched in Amber’s name, unaccesible and safe, but mentally he had been in a bad way, and another had began to its repair. It was sad to say, but wonderful too, that he let his heart get taken over by another woman.

What had been innocent flirting between captor and captive, a ploy for freedom, had accidentally flourished into a dangerous relationship. It’s why he was deported. She had requested it in fear of being found out and him getting hurt.

He thought being back around the Mallrats and with Amber again, seeing her, seeing his son, and being far away from Kyra would be enough. That he could play house with Amber and things would be fine. But he found himself conflicted. He windered did he really love his captor or had the acting and aching of loneliness somehow possessed him. He wondered too had his love for Amber become platonic? It’s the reason he requested the mother of his child and himself sleep in separate rooms. Bray just wasn’t sure of anything concerning relationships right now and he’d rather not dig himself a deepee hole.

“You’re missing the party.”

It was who Ebony sat down next to him, making him sigh with a groan. “You are too if you’re out here. Besides I’m not in a partying mood, I’ve got a lot on my mind.”

Ebony peered at him in the starlight, “Yeah? Neither am I,” she paused, shutting then opening her mouth again. “Like it or not, I know you Bray. You get especially broody when you’ve got a woman on your mind. Now my guess is it ain’t Amber, otherwise you’d be inside dancing with her instead of Trader. So, who is she?”

Bray tried not to react, hearing Amber was dancing with the likes of Trader, for a moment there was that spark of jealousy in him only Sasha could provoke. But quickly it deflated. How could he be upset when he’d been treating Amber like a sister rather than a lover.

Finally he turned to look at Ebony, “You’re not going to take this and crush Amber’s spirit are you?”

She pretended to be wounded, “Ouch,” she smirked. “Tonight I’m turning over a new leaf with you, no scheming. You mean a lot to me, and I just want to see you happy.”

“What have you done to Ebony?” he looked at her in mock fright.

“She’s hiding behind an enlarged abdomen, swollen feet, and an unexplainable but powerful love for something growing inside of her that she hasn’t even met yet.”

Bray chuckled, “I don’t remember Amber being this different when she was pregnant.”

“Well everybody is different,” she scoffed, annoyed at the comparison. “Besides this transformation began before the side-effects of pregnancy. Just ask the good ol Eagle. But enough about me, who’s this woman?”

She had mot been distracted by Bray trying to get out of the hot seat. He looked back at the low, crashing waves, lightly gripping a handful of sand. “Her name is Kyra. We had a fling. One all too dangerous. Kyra was a Techno and I was her prisoner.”

“Sounds like Jay and I.”

“You and him…whoa.”

“Yeah. Amber managed to steal him away from me like she did you. She got a dose of her own medicine though, well maybe double dose seeing how Trudy had him for five minutes, now Ruby’s got him. Is she going for a triple dose?” Ebony got excited.

He shook his head, disappointed in her giddiness. “I may never see Kyra again, so it doesn’t matter.”

“So you stick it out with someone you don’t love?”

“Yes. I mean, no. I don’t actually know. I mean I do love Amber, but we’ve spent too much time apart. Right now it just feels like she is only the mother of my child and the first woman I let toy with my heart next to you.”

“What does your heart tell you now?” Ebony said after some moments of silence.

“I don’t know. Kyra stole it.”

“Then you have your answer.”

“I do?” he looked at her with a quizzical expression.

“Your heart belongs to her. Or maybe you’ve finally got it back to yourself.” She was quiet again, seeming conflicted. When she spoke again, he was definitely surprised. “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but you can’t string Amber along any further, it’s not fair to her or your son.”

Speechless, Bray remained silent, thinking it over. Maybe his heart was truly back to him and now a little older, he could be more wise about handing it out. This Ebony beside him was so understanding and so kind. Had he never saw the real her because he never gave her a real chance? Had he been the cause of all her evil, scheming, and self-centered ways? He had to laugh at himself. Yeah, right. Still, he was thankful for this side of her.

Speaking finally, it was his turn to question her. “What really brought you out here?”

“Intuition,” she smirked, “that and the temptation.”

“Temptation?” he questioned.

“Well it’s not really a party with the Mallrats unless something goes wrong,” she smirked.

“What did you do?”

“Nothing, yet,” she smirked, rising and making her way to Slade as everyone filtered out of the boring, little Rec room. They were attracted to the beautiful night sky, one they hadn’t seen since the rains began.

Bray noticed Ebony winked at him as he gave her one last curious look. Amber then threw herself in his lap and made to kiss him when a water balloon hit her.

The culprit had been a very giggly Brady in Trudy’s arms.

Bray laughed as Amber jumped up, “Clever. She’s definitely got her father’s sense of humor,” he declared before he began to chase after Brady who had managed to escape her mother’s arms.

Ebony pitched a water balloon at him. Then suddenly there were water balloons flying everywhere, letting the good times begin. He smiled at Ebony, “I knew you were up to something. Even got the youngsters involved.”

Ebony returned the smile and went back to war with the others. She had found the balloons in the Rec room when they first cleaned it out. Three giant bags, unopened. Most of them were useless, but there were just enough to fill and scheme to have a great time.

A great time most of them hadn’t experienced since the virus hit.

1 Like

Just read the whole :eyes: Damn that’s serious emotional disaster stuff! Like it a lot!

1 Like

Thank you :blush: more will be edited and updated soon

1 Like

Looking forward :wink:

2 Likes

This is a great story. :smiley:

Thank you and also for reminding me to update :joy:

1 Like

I will look forward to an update. I am enjoying reading the story. :smiley:

1 Like

Chapter 12: The Pirates

Ebony was thinking. She’d been doing it a lot more lately, actually considering other lives than her own. It was a different feel than just scheming for herself all the time.

“You’re going to wear a hole in your brain,” Slade joked sitting down beside her on the bed.

She was lying on her side, head propped up by her elbow, completely lost in thought. She sighed, “I’m not sure of that, but I do have a headache.”

“What are you thinking so hard about?” That curious concern that first attracted her to him taking on his voice as he peered at her.

“It’s not that I’m thinking hard,” she rolled onto her back and stared at the ceiling, a hand draped across her abdomen, “I’m just, I don’t know.” She shrugged, after thought adding, “I’m reflecting.”

She had done a lot of bad things in her life, been the villain or anti-hero in their recent history and kissed a lot of boys to get where she was. Which wasn’t at the top, like she thought she’d always wanted. What she realized now was that she had only ever wanted attention from someone who loved her back.

Slade could sense a really sensitive talk was coming, so he braced himself, praying for the right words to say when the floor was his.

“Love has been a difficult chapter in my life, I’ve fallen in love more times than one, but it never works out. I do admit, some of the ‘love’ was me looking out for number one, and the break-ups or rifts mainly my fault, but was it all me?” She wrinkled her brows in thought. She can’t have been to blame for every unreperable union, right?

She stopped for a breath, “There have only been four people that ever really knew me, one is dead, two broke my heart, and one of whom is in this room, and I’m constantly pushing them away.”

“You’re not pushing me away, Ebony.”

“But aren’t I? Whenever you get too close I shut you out.”

“I won’t let you push me away; I’m here for you, and our child.”

“It won’t be long before you’re fed up with me. I’ll push you away like I’ve done the others,” she paused thinking of Siva. “I’m a difficult person Slade, I have baggage.”

“I’m looking for baggage to go with mine. You’re the most captivating woman I’ve met, and I think— no I know, you and I are good together. I get you Ebony,” he placed a hand on her arm, “and you don’t exactly know everything yet, but you get me. You are my counterpart, we are alike some, but opposite too. We, you and I, need that awkward balance. We’ll rely on one another to get by.”

Ebony looked at him, eyes glazed, feeling insecure as a confession fell from her lips. “I’ve never admitted this to anyone before, but I need you by my side. Without you, I’m lost.”

It was the truth. She was seriously messed up when Slade showed up out the blue. She hasn’t been the same since, and that frightens her. He’s her light on the darkness she battles within herself.

Slade smirked, “Don’t go changing your spots for me.”

“No worries,” she winked, her walls going up again, “so don’t go asking me to marry you.”

“I can’t promise you I won’t try to put a ring on your finger,” he smirked, “but I promise I won’t let you push me away.”

Ebony’s tears had sobered up before Slade had finished, but now a new expression was on her face. Her expression was a mix of shock, fear, and joy.

“What?” Slade panicked, reaching for her hand.

Ebony found a smile and shushed him, placing his hand on her stomach. The life inside of her was stirring, shifting as their hands searched for its touch.

Slade smiled, “I think it’s a sign, we’re good together.”

“I’ll try and remember that during the delivery.”

Slade didn’t say anything, his smile frozen on his face to mask what he kept hidden. The delivery wasn’t something he was looking forward to. He’d never admit it, but he was fearful of that day. Not just because it all seemed unglamorous and scary, but because what if something went wrong? No, he silently berated himself, ashamed of thinking the worst. This child was special.

Bray had decided not to tell Amber about Kyra. It was too hard to break it to her gently. She however didn’t take his distance as a warning sign, more like an attraction or welcome mat. He knew he had to tell her soon, but first things were first, getting everyone off the island.

“Boat!” Sammy shouted. He was perched on the roof of the pool house.

“You’d better not be joking kid!” Ved barked at him.

Bray shielded the sun from his eyes, “That’s no ordinary boat, it’s one of luxury. Alert the others. We may be in for a battle.”

“But they’re not headed our way,” Sammy said puzzled.

“I know, but we have to be cautious,” Bray gave him a serious look that communicated well.

Sammy nodded and climbed down. He made haste in alerting everyone.

Ved looked at Bray, “Technos?”

Bray shook his head, “The Techno is asking me?” He half-laughed, “Don’t think it’s their style, do you?” He didn’t wait for an answer, “It could be a harmless bunch, could be trouble.”

“I’ll make sure the kids and Ebony are secured then,” Ved took off, leaving the older man alone.

The boat wasn’t headed their way indeed, but it was headed to the island. The side KC and Alice confirmed was Techno infested. But a big, flashy boat wasn’t Techno style. They were probably looking to stretch their sea legs and spotted the Techno camp before the resort.

A woman with blue eyes so pale, they looked gray, and fair, tanned skin led her band of pirates into the foliage of this new island.

“Alright Pirates, you know the drill, get the goods and get going,” she shouted.

“Mikhail aren’t you coming?” her younger sister asked.

Mikhail shook her head, giving a one word answer, “Migraine.”

“Khail, again?” There used to be days when you’d fight through anything,” Lefty, a tall muscular pirate questioned her.

Mikhail rolled her eyes, “It’s simple, the sooner you quit your yapping, the quicker I’ll recover.”

The group retreated. Mikhail watching them go, relieved. The last thing she needed was for her tribe to figure out she was pregnant. There was no room for babies in their risky business.

She was their leader, she couldn’t be tied down to a kid and raid Techno Prison camps, not that being a Pirate was promising at all. Khail just wasn’t ready to be a mother again; the first time was too much of a nightmare.

She lay in a chair on deck and closed her eyes thinking about the last time she had become pregnant. She was fourteen and had fallen in love with her tutor. He was eighteen, and stuff far beyond innocence happened. Their precarious love affair ended with her finding out she was pregnant. The entire world abandoned her then, except her nana.

Her grandmother had taken care of her and the child until the virus hit its full peak, wiping out most adult life. When her nana succumbed to the epidemic she ran home to her dying mother, like a fool. It ended in her leaving her sleeping one year old, son in the arms of a social worker. She had never looked back until today, and it hurt all over again.

“State your business,” a voice snapped her out of her memories, “and we won’t hurt you.”

Bray had gotten worried. He didn’t like the though of anyone else joining the island. What if he were wrong and it was the Technos? The evil branch of them? No, he couldn’t take the chance, not when he’d just gotten his son back.

He, Lex, and Jay decided to track the boat and insure they weren’t there to bring mayhem. But when they came across it, it was occupied by a sole person.

‘You wouldn’t hurt me,” Mikhail batted her eyelashes at the boy with the raven black hair.

Lex stood his ground, “I wouldn’t underestimate me.”

Mikhail’s smile faded. He didn’t remember her. It had been quite a few years back, they were just kids, nine or ten, when they last were together.

“My name’s Khail, and let’s just say I’m here on business.”

“What’s your tribe?” Jay questioned.

“We’re the Pirates, and unless you’re Technos, you have nothing to worry about.”

Bray laughed, “Don’t tell me you’re their leader. What are you, like the sugar-plum pirates?”

As much as Mikhail wanted to laugh, she pretended to be miffed. Though her and her tribe were well groomed on account they were out at sea all the time. Occasionally, more now than ever, they stopped on Fleur Isle. She cursed many times over since she had fallen for a man there.

“Don’t you dare mock us!” she stood up.

“What are you going to do about it?” Lex asked.

“Don’t underestimate me Lexy; you’ve felt my wrath before.”

Lex looked a little confused. He’d never seen this girl before in his life, yet she knew him by name.

Bray got down to business, “Until we’re certain you’re not dangerous,” he smirked, “you’re going to have to come with us.”

“Fine, but when my crew finds the boat empty, they’ll come after me,” Mikhail made sure to sound intimidating, “and you will suffer dearly.”

“What do we do with her?” Tai-san questioned. She had called a tribe meeting; infuriated that they had come back with a prisoner.

“We wait to see if her sugar plum pirate crew comes to save her. We see their strengths and weaknesses, and then we see here to go from there,” Jay offered.

“Surely you’re not going to lock her up?” Trudy asked.

Amber answered for them all, “And treat her like an animal when she was brought here on innocent terms? No way!”

“Then she’s not a prisoner?” Sammy asked.

“Absolutely not, but she’s not allowed to leave the resort.”

“Well don’t talk about me like I’m not here,” Mikhail entered the kitchen.

Sammy was in love. He noted how the rest of the tribe looked at her as well. The guys with admiration, the women with envy.

Mikhail’s blue-gray eyes were dazzling and a threat. They accented her beautiful face, naturally tanned skin, and short, soft curls. She was also tall, and her outfit showed a great length of slender, perfect legs.

Trudy nudged Ram in the ribs, who instantly recovered. Mikhail laughed and found an empty seat next to a pregnant woman with a fierce stare.

Ebony tensed at the stranger sitting next to her, because Slade may as well have been drooling. “I’m not afraid to say anything to your face,” Ebony glared at her, “and you’d be wise not to press any of my buttons.”

“Hey, no need to get hostile, I didn’t come here willingly,” she glared at Lex, Bray, and Jay, “so…where’s my cell?”

Tai-san spoke, “We’re not going to lock you up…we’re simply going to treat you like a guest.”

“I’m confused…” Mikhail started to say at the sound of commotion outside. She could hear Lefty calling her name. Smirking she said, “I’ll handle this,” she stopped Trader and Jay in their tracks.

Lefty was leading the group. Mikhail was like a little sister to him, he’d do anything to protect her or anyone else of the tribe.

“Stand down crew, let that little girl go,” Mikhail stepped onto the porch.

Lottie ran and hid behind Slade. “This is your crew?” Slade asked.

With the exception of one of the guy’s roguish faces, they weren’t very intimidating and there were only five of them, Mikhail made six.

Mikhail laughed, “Have we proven to be harmful enough Bray?”

He replied, “Of course, not harmful at all. So why do you call yourselves the pirates?”

Lefty snapped, “That’s none of your business!”

“It’s okay Lefty, we have no secrets,” Mikhail turned back to the Mallrats, “the name was more promising than the Robin Hoods. We raid Techno camps releasing what prisoners we can and taking the goods delivering them to where they’re needed.”

Rayne, her younger sister spoke, “The Technos no longer occupy that part of the island. They must have left in the storms.”

“But we got the goods, it’s on the boat, so let’s go,” Domino, a Pirate around Sammy’s age said.

Mikhail spoke up again, “My crew and I thank you for this little misadventure, but we’d best be going, we have our own lives.”

Lex stepped forward, “Wait. It’s getting dark now; you can’t possibly navigate with little sun.”

Tai-san glared at him. She knew her husband, and she knew he’d never offer someone to stay unless he was interested.

“We’ll take our chances; it doesn’t look like we’re welcome here. We’re a bunch of strangers,” Khail said.

“You and Rayne are no strangers, you came from a fine line of good Samaritans,” Lex tried again, his memory coming back to him.

Mikhail stopped, “You remember?”

“How could I forget? Those are some of the most memorable times of my life. You tried to kill me!”

“We all know you had it coming am I right?” Rayne asked. She was only a year younger than Mikhail and Lex, so they were her memories too.

Lex smiled sheepishly, “I haven’t changed a bit either since that summer.”

Mikhail and Rayne laughed. Everyone else waiting to know the truth. “I suppose we could stay the night, but we’re going to get our boat,” Mikhail declared.

When she and her little band of pirates left, everyone questioned Lex.

“They’re my cousins by marriage. One summer I stayed with my uncle and his new family, it was a blast, end of story. Besides, now we don’t have to leave the island, the Technos are gone.”

May spoke, “Great, now that’s what I like to hear.”

“We still need food,something not being naturally produced on this island,” Cloe pointed out. “I’m tired of fish and berries.”

“She’s right, we still need to find the necessary resources to live on,” Amber said, “that’s why it was a good idea for Lex to invite them to stay. They can help us with navigation and such.”

“And maybe they can help us fix the boat…” Trader cleared his throat, “It was…um…damaged in the storms.”

Everyone looked at him upset. Then slowly the crowd dispersed. They were disgusted with all the day’s events and the news about the boat was the icing on the cake.

4 Likes

Thank you for the new update. I like the pirates and i liked Mikhail’s character, and her name.

3 Likes

Thank you @Beth I’m so glad you’re still reading :grin: I’ll try to get up chapters sooner

Also hi @Cledism welcome and thank you. This is a story that’s already been finished. Just slowly editing and revamping it, so you’ll have to see what develops :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Chapter 13: There Must Be Something In The Water

Mikhail, Rayne, and Lex recounted the summer of the wedding of their Mother and his uncle like it was yesterday. It was the first and last time they had met, but it was the best summer ever. They had all gone on holiday to Spain. Lex was in trouble only the trip could “cure”. His mom’s only brother had suggested the trip because he felt Khail and Rayne could use his nephew’s company, and Lex needed friends his age.

“He couldn’t have been more wrong,” Rayne wrinkled her nose trying to pay attention to the conversation, though it was hard to concentrate with Darryl sitting in good view. She found him oddly attractive.

Mikhail laughed, “We hated you. It was so much fun playing pranks on one another, especially when you went and fell in love with me that time we played house.”

“I was a growing, hormonal boy and you have a pretty face,” Lex smirked with a shrug , “You’re even more radiant now.”

Mikhail blushed, “I should have put more bird poop on your sandwich!”

Tai-san was burning inside, but she wore her calm face as she eavesdropped within hearing range.

“What about me Lexy?” Rayne pouted giving her attention to the conversation once more.

There was a teasing smirk on his face as he looked at the younger sister, “Well, at least you don’t look like a monkey anymore.”

Rayne reached across her sister and socked him in the arm, “You still have such a charming way with words.”

Lex chuckled, “And you still hit like a baby.”

“I think I’m going to turn in,” Mikhail yawned.

“Already?” Rayne questioned, “Usually you’re an insomniac.”

Yawning again, the elder of the two sisters shrugged, “I guess all those nights of not sleeping finally caught up with me.”

Lex stood, “I had better turn in too,” he smirked, “the wife is probably getting worried, thinking I’ve decided to camp in your bed tonight.”

“Never gonna happen, she’s got nothing to worry about, besides, I have a significant other.”

Lex still smirking was quick to quip,“Who said I wanted it to happen?”

Rayne stopped her ogling Darryl long enough to join the banter, “Please, you go after any woman with a full chest, a pretty face, and a heartbeat.”

Lex opened the door and slipped inside, speaking through the screen, “Except anyone who remotely looks like you Rayne.”

Rayne glared at his back and then with a last look at Darryl, quickly caught up to her sister who was walking quickly across the sand to their ship. Something was up with Mikhail and she knew exactly what and couldn’t keep quiet about it any longer.

“It’s been three years, or four, I can’t keep up anymore, but I recognize the signs. When are you going to tell lover boy?"

Mikhail rolled her eyes at her younger sister, not even surprised she’d figured out her little secret. “Never. If I’m lucky I’ll miscarry, then I won’t feel obligated to accept his proposal if he ever decides to propose.”

"Khail, I cannot believe you! You can’t want him to propose and not propose. Ryan is a good man, and he’s good for you.”

Mikhail frowned, feeling guilt wash over her. Her sister was right in that respect, Ryan was a good man and she loved him. But even if that were true, she was afraid she’d be hurt again, like the last time, if she fully surrendered her heart to him.

“Rayne, he has a wife. What if she comes back all of a sudden and…” she was getting teary-eyed, “Look, I don’t want to talk about it right now, I’m tired,” she stopped, climbing onto the Pirates’ deck. She had more than just Ryan and a pregnancy on her mind.

The boat was rightfully Lex’s, left to him by his uncle. He had spent forever building it for his favorite nephew and had barely finished it before he died. She sought comfort in its elegance and luxury, but now that Lex was back she felt it in her heart to give it to him.

“Fine, we’ll talk about it tomorrow, good night,” Rayne huffed. She knew exactly what her sister was thinking, she was thinking it too. The Mariana rightfully belonged to their ‘cousin’. How would they survive without it though?

Bray couldn’t stand leading Amber on any longer. It wasn’t that he didn’t love her, the gods knew that he did and always would, but something had changed. They both had, given the circumstances that had intervened. They never expected to be in the same place again, not after preparing themselves for forever. Now that fate had brought them back together,the relationship seemed forced and he just needed time to sort out his head and heart.

“Amber?” he knocked on her hut door.

“She’s not in there, I believe she took a walk with Trader,” Trudy said coming up to the small porch, Bray Jr. balanced on her hip and Brady at hand.

Bray relieved her of his son, who immediately reached for him, a happy squeal escaping him. “Trader?” He asked in curiosity, a certain flair of jealousy rising in him. It surprised him, given he was coming there to give Amber the freedom she deserved.

“Don’t worry, she’s giving him a few pointers, it’s not a date.”

Bray was relieved, but wished it was a date; it sure would have made it easier to walk away from the legacy they were holding themselves to.

“I’m not worried,” he shrugged, “ just thought she had better taste in friends.”

Clicking her tongue, Trudy rolled her eyes. “Well she’s had to talk to someone, Mr. antisocial.”

Bray sighed with guilt. “Did she say something to you?” He quizzed his friend, fishing for help. Maybe Amber felt what he was feeling too?

“No,” Trudy pursed her lips, “But we all can tell something’s going on between you two, or should I say not going on between the two of you?”

“Alright, I get it,” Bray stopped her from further comment on their intimate relationship and lack thereof.

The woman looked at him, a sorrowful look crossing her features. “Are you dumping her?” She asked, the question sharp and accusing.

“Good night, Trudy. I’m not having this talk with you,” he, squatted to hug his niece before walking away with his son. He could hear Trudy huff, but he didn’t care about her dramatics. The only person he was having that conversation with was Amber.

Amber was walking alone up the beach when she spotted Bray on the porch of the main house, their son resting peacefully in his arms. She took in the image, framing it in her mind, a happy thought to look back on one day. She never thought Bray would meet their son or that the little one would take so well to him, but Baby Bray immediately bonded with him, like he knew that was his father.

It made her just as sad as it made her happy the two were so close. That’s how it should’ve been from day one, they all should’ve been a happy family, living out their banishment with the Gaians and plotting to overthrow City Leader, Ebony. But such were the best laid plans of mice and men…

She picked up her pace and sat beside the two on the porch. Silence suffocated the night air except for the water lapping against the shoreline. Neither of them knew how to start or what to say to the other.

Amber tore her eyes away from the twinkling, night sky and finally broke the quiet, “What’s her name?” There had to be an “her”, there always was with Bray.

He almost seemed surprised by the question, but answered her with a name, "Kyra.” When she didn’t react he carried on, “It wasn’t anything serious too quickly. She was a Techno on the surface, but inside she had a warm heart. She pulled me out of a really dark place. I fell for her.”

That pained Amber to hear, but it wasn’t like she hadn’t found her own lover in his absence. She had quickly fallen for Jay and his charisma even knowing the Technos were responsible for separating her from her true soulmate.

“And she felt the same?” It was a question she had to ask, a crack in her voice.

"Yes, that’s why she had me deported. If any of the other Technos had found out, I’d be a dead man right now.”

Amber didn’t say anything after that. She didn’t know what to say. She couldn’t be mad, not justifiably. She had acted on her feelings and had fallen in love with Jay, not knowing whether or not Bray was alive and he had done the same with Kyra.

“Amber, I love you, I never meant to hurt you or lead you on. It’s just, it’s not fair on us. I need some time. We need some time.”

Smiling through her tears, she finally looked at him. “When we re-introduced ourselves, that kiss was heaven to me. It was all the fire and passion we used to be. I should have known we were just a dream.”

He reached with his free hand and wiped at a few of her stray tears with his thumb, "It wasn’t always like that. Our love is legendary, no one can erase that. I’ll always love you.”

She nodded. She knew. She would never stop loving him either. “So this is where we say goodbye?”

"Not goodbye, Amber, but we can’t keep pretending nothing’s changed. We have a beautiful son that keeps the bond between us strong, it’s just, I owe it to you to be honest.”

Amber’s tears were uncontrollable by now. She stood speaking through sobs, “Well, that’s all that needs to be said.” She cut off any further conversation. She was fighting to keep it together, barely able to audibly ask, “Will you tuck in our little man?”

Bray’s nod was all she needed, she was up and gone, knowing he was watching her go. She hoped he did so with a heavy heart. Neither of them ever wanted to see this day, never wanting to hurt, but they couldn’t keep going as they were. Amber knew that, but she was also human, so she went and locked herself away to cry privately.

It had been days, but Salene hadn’t given up hope on the Guardian. She had been determined to help him through his delirium and evidently it was working. The Guardian was breaking out of his fever and slowly sanity was settling in on him. He could make sense of his past and where he was, but he didn’t know who he was. Sure he knew he was Jaffa, the Guardian, a leader, but he lost himself in the madness. He didn’t know how to be himself; to be the boy his mum raised. He tried to do good, but the darkness always came…

Getting up out of his bed, he left his room and ventured outdoors, looking for the red-head who had been taking good care of him.

It was early morning, the sun had just begun to rise, but many of the tribe members were up and about, even a few of the Pirates.

Mikhail sat with Lex and his wife chatting away about Fleur Island when she spotted the Guardian through the screen. She stood abruptly, “If he comes anywhere near me, I’ll kill him!”

The Guardian cursed to himself, what was she doing here? Was the earth so small? “Relax Mikhail, those days are behind us.”

“Time doesn’t heal all wounds, Jaffa,” she crossed her arms over her chest, “How did you survive the prison camps anyhow?”

Lex joined the conversation, “Dumb luck, no doubt,” he turned to the Guardian, “The only reason you’re still alive is because Salene has such a big heart, if I had my way you’d be floating out to sea with Zoot somewhere.”

Salene? Jaffa thought, why would she take care of me? “I am not going to cause any trouble. I’m looking for her, for Salene.”

Tai-san stood up, to ease the growing tension, “Sal isn’t awake yet.”

“Tai, my lovely…” he stopped at a warning glare from Lex. “Perhaps I’ll wait by the sea shore, I can’t go back to sleep, I’ve been asleep for far too long.”

And he was right. The day his mum died, not of the virus, but of some obscene freak accident, or rather suicide, was the day he fell into slumber. He became an outcast. Nobody wanted to be friends with the circus freak whose own mother took her life. Not until Zoot came along and gave him a name and attention did he ever feel like he belonged.

Mikhail and Jaffa had history. He had degraded her once and made her feel lower than the scum of the earth while they were incarcerated together, and yet she had liked him, once. She couldn’t stand to be around him now, he made her nervous.

"Tai-san, Lex, you’re going to have to visit Fleur Isle for yourselves to know what I’m talking about, but now I must return there myself before our next sail.”

“Wait…” Tai-san stalled her.

Mikhail sighed; she knew there was a catch to the woman’s sudden, good hospitality. “Wait?” She looked questionably at the pair.

Tai-san nudged her husband who was watching the Guardian closely. “Our boat was damaged in the storm. Aside from that, it’s not big enough to get us off this island. We’re going to die if we stay here,” Lex smirked, adding, “Much more from boredom rather than starvation.”

“I’ll see if Lefty can help you with your boat, but it won’t be easy,” Mikhail sighed, “As for transporting some of you to your new destination, the Mariana is rightfully yours Lex, your uncle built it for you.”

Lex was speechless. As a child he had been fascinated with boats and cars. That was before he found out life was a harsh game to play. “The Mariana? He named it after you?” Lex was hesitant to show excitement. “I mean you were born somewhere in the Northern Mariana Islands, are you certain it’s mine?”

“Maybe he named it for its beauty or expected us to share it, but it said in his last will that she was yours.”

“Wow, I mean I don’t know what to say. We could sure use it, but I’m no boatman just an alley cat, and you’re putting it to good use, playing Robin Hood.”

“It’s not the only boat the Pirates have Lex, we just like it because it’s luxurious and more fuel efficient.”

“How about we share it, Captain?”

Stunned, Khail couldn’t help cracking a joke. “Tai-san, I’m not sure what you did with the real Lex, but keep this one around.”

Tai-san smiled, “There must be something in the water, a lot of us aren’t acting ourselves,” she pointed to the Guardian who was sitting in the sand staring at the morning sky."

Khail laughed, she liked Tai-san. It was the best judgment Lex ever made to pick such a spirited woman.

1 Like

:sob::sob::sob::sob: Awwww… Good too see its going on! I really like your view on Bray and Amber. Often those two just continue on where they left off in the series. That’s almost unrealistic. Even if you wouldn’t have walked on to another love, you still would have changed in the time. Not being together means you develop yourself without the other being beside you and so the developments are often hard to understand. (as you also see in my story… Bray has changed even without someone beside him, even when he would have his memories he wouldn’t just go for her again)

One little point of criticism : you let Amber ask him what the name of “her” is, cause knowing Bray there must be a “her” :thinking: Bray never did that… Cheat around on girls because he had fallen for someone else. The fact is he only had two girls in the series :rofl: Of course it is okay that she asks him, I would only think she knows him so well that she feels his mind is somewhere or with someone else. I hope the two find a way to act in a good way towards each other and maybe they will find back their way!

OH and love Rayne :grin::blush:

Hi, thanks for reading @Zwenja
I’m doing my best to give that a bit of reality bc you’re right, nothing is ever that easy after lengthy times apart.

What Amber meant by that was whether Bray wanted them, or not, there was always a “her” he brooded about. Ebony, Trudy, Salene, Moon, Danni… :joy:

I welcome the criticism though. I wrote this as a moody teen. So rewriting it I’m hoping to show my maturation :sweat_smile:

Oh yeah if you place it that way… Bray really had many girls issues (sometimes I amused myself with stories only for my fun where I imagined him to go for guys because the girls drove him mad :joy::see_no_evil:)

Moon is often named here… I don’t even remember her :no_mouth::eyes: who was she again? :thinking:

I always try to give feedback. If someone does the work of writing and posting I can at last give a little comment! I am still hoping someone will one day write a reply at my story :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I’m still working on catching up with your story :blush:

Moon was apart of the Horse Traders tribe that took Bray in after Moz and her Mozzies left him for dead. Moon nursed him back to health and it was obvious she had a crush on him, but nothing happened. Pony Joe made sure of that lol

Hihi…yeah ist much stuff. I am about to post a new part already. A bit of bramberism……lol…thought giving people a bit to dream about…lol

Oh I really forgot that. Pony Joe…I remember him, but forgot Moon. lol

1 Like