Discussion point: What would you as a writer change about 'The Tribe'?

In the previous years, fans have shared their opinions on this topic a lot.
Obviously, we all love this show or we wouldn’t be here two decades later but there are enough issues as well.

And we as consumers grow and change and perhaps our own preferences change over time, be it worldview or favourite relationships in the series.

So, if you could change anything about how the storylines were handled, the character developments, fix some obvious plot holes, what would you do?

Well… As an adult other things seem more pressing as they have been as a teenager. As adult it seems weird they even took time in things like make up.

I am a CFer (means I suffer from cystic fibrosis which comes along with diabetes and other issues due to it), so of course I would bring in kids who suffer from diseases… How would they handle? Would they even survive? Or perish really fast because of having no medicine?

I would really like to tie those open lines of Paul… Where did he go? What happened to Ryan? … (I am trying that with “The world we live in now”)

There also never was mentioned what happened to really small children. I always imagined that there had to be new born as the virus broke out… What happened to those?

1 Like

I wouldn’t have tried to bring in “replacement” type characters to fill voids across seasons.

Danni was a replacement for Amber
Jay was a replacement for Bray (gag! Their names even are similar)

I would have let some people fall in love outside of their “type” once in a while to show personal growth…

It’s one reason I love the fan fiction because you see great romances like Lex and Amber or Trudy and Mega that never came to fruition in the show

3 Likes

Good point @Ash… So I usually stick to Bray with Amber I have read and written myself of different couples throughout the years. Sometimes it felt “ewww” and sometimes it surprised myself how well the couple worked.

I always had pictured Bray with Tai-San in s2… As they made the antidote the atmosphere was quiet flirtious and I would liked to see that develop.

The Bray/Jay issue is one of those things that made me dislike Jay from the beginning​:joy: and then even giving him the same woman… I was like “Oh what why… Really?! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So I always got the feeling that Amber/Lex might lead to one of them killing the other in the end :joy:

While I always thought if Bray would let Ebony show him that she would suit him in s2 that this indeed might have lead to a very, veeeery passionate relationship… Like “I don’t know if I want to hit you down a cliff or hit you down in my bed”. :joy:

I once did a story where I let return Bray after years… Amber had moved on with Jay irgs and was expecting their first common child and Bray had found love with a new girl who was pregnant aswell… Though Bray and Amber were bound somehow and felt a pull towards each other, Bray stayed true to his love… The girl died giving birth (yeah I know I am evil), but that wasn’t for I planned Bray to be going back to Amber, but for showing that giving birth IS a risk… Bray mourned that girl a long while and Amber just was there for him and helping him with his new born girl… Jay went asshole about that (hehe) and I made a whole long arch where Bray throw out Jay because he acted really bad (again I tried to show what jealousy can do with even a nice guy)… Bray and Amber stayed friends… Being good parents to their common son and caring and helping with their other children… And I let the years pass and change their relation back into a love one over the years… As their boy was already - ten years it was I think - they finally let that love that always kindled deep down in them reflame and became a couple again… I really liked that story, though lot of readers complained to me why I didn’t let them become them a couple at once :eyes: They weren’t used that of me :joy:

I even went out of my way once because I was in an angry phase and let, instead of Bray coming back and winning Amber’s heart back, Jay and Bray become a couple- with Amber watching in disbelief😂 God this story amused me myself do much! Hihi…

2 Likes

You’ve got a good sense of humor!

I would like to read that one about Jay falling for Bray :rofl:

And that’s a great idea to let Tai San and Bray have a go at it too!

Maybe we can collaborate sometime

1 Like

Hihi… Right now I am in my other story… S6…
But I could give rewriting that Bray/Jay thing a try :rofl:

Yeah Bray and Tai-San definitely would be interesting… They have some things in common after all… Bray always had a big of spiritual side even when he tried to hide that :grin:

While the show was always amazing to me there were some things I always wished were different, like while I didn’t like the some of the deaths, the least they could have done was given more to the death of some of the characters. Like Lex’s reactions for Zan were perfect, he made me feel it. But I felt like it was such a brief touch on Dal’s that it felt like they were bland. And I felt Pride’s death was kind of pansy-ish, like the “we need to write him out and don’t want to think that hard about how” type of feel.

I have done some rp’s over the years (though am working on getting new ones started soon too) where different pairings can be explored too. Like season 3 I so saw Pride/Tai-San and would have liked to see that struggle for her with her feelings for Lex but also Pride. I would have liked to have more resolution regarding some of the characters, like where they actually ended up. I felt Ryan got the short end, loving someone that was only settling for him and then having her go a bit crazy while pregnant with his kid. Though could have been interesting to have Salene not lose the child and instead have her struggle with the guilt after that her baby’s father was missing or dead.

I would have liked to see Alice and Lex, as much as I do like Tai-San/Lex I thought the thing with Alice/Lex could have had so much potential. I also would have liked to see more of Luke, he had potential to be more to the series. I liked the thought of Ram/Ruby too. I could go on and on lol

1 Like

Amber’s s3 comeback story annoys the hell out of me to this day. It was dumb and OOC. Amber would usually sulk and stomp her feet for a few days and then go back to normal when she had relationship problems, not run away from home. The only good thing that came out of that messy storyline was the introduction of Pride and the Eco tribe.

I would have generally preferred if Amber and Ebony’s relationship had no elements of romantic rivalry and was focused on power struggle and clash of worldviews. Speaking of which, it would have been nice if at least one of the four major villains had been a woman. Female villains very rarely get to be of the destructive visionary type. It’s like even well-intentioned, progressive male writers (and I do believe Ray is one) subconsciously have difficulty with the concept. (One exception that comes to mind is True Blood. For all of its flaws, its villainesses tended to have a particular political philosophy that they were passionate about and determined to actualize.)

I also really hated Cloe becoming so easy to brainwash in s4. I’m all for Cloe acting out in puberty, but not in the way they wrote it. In the previous three seasons she was extremely independent-thinking and compassionate and then all of a sudden she was adopting Ved’s warped worldviews and parroting his words. OOC imo.

Hated when they had Ruby randomly decide to get pregnant and have Slade’s child in case he died. It’s not like they had known each other or been together for years. It would have been more interesting if she had used him to get a child because she thought he would die and would not interfere in the upbringing of the child.

Hated Siva and Zandra eventually going back to Lex, when leaving him was imo a great development for both of their characters.

Tai-San’s stereotypical, pseudo-Eastern philosophy and Pride’s stereotypically-native-American-inspired one seem a bit tacky in retrospect, but I love both characters a lot regardless and think they work well enough as two young people influenced by the hippie and new age subcultures. So, I guess I wouldn’t change them.

Wasn’t fond of Dal, Pride and Mega dying given they were among my faves, but Pride and Mega at least had nice arcs, while poor Dal never got much of his own arc. Now, I don’t believe that having supporting characters be supporting characters is a flaw in the writing, but I do think there was time and space to give him more.

Of course, I would have also loved to see more development for some of my favorite on screen dynamics, such as Amber/Tai-San, Tai-San/Jack, Amber/Cloe, Tai-San/Cloe, Ruby/Siva and many others. Also, agreed about Tai-San/Pride, Tai-San/Bray and Ruby/Ram mentioned in some of the posts above. Those could have been some interesting romances.

2 Likes

When I have finished THE WORLD WE LIVE IN NOW, I am going to start on ALL OF ME… There is centered a love triangle of Jack, Ellie and Mega and I am thinking to maybe do something with Bray and Tai-San when they return… :thinking: Or Bray and Ebony… Hmmmm…