What Have You Been Reading?

Since we already have one of these for tv and movies, I figured we might as well have one for books .

I’ve been reading Oliver Twist and listening to The Conquest of Bread audiobook. Enjoying both so far. Except for learning that Charles Dickens was apparently an antisemite. Ah, Victorian men. Kropotkin, on the other hand, seems like a completely nice guy and Idk why I haven’t gotten round to reading him before.

2 Likes

Haven’t read Oliver Twists in years… Don’t like Dickens so much.

Right now I thought I’ll do something for my brain and read “A brief history of time” by Stephen Hawking

read the tribe revolution book as thinking of fan edit to fix errors and plot holes.

1 Like

Good luck with that.

Currently reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

If you guys have Goodreads you can add me there I’m AgentOrange it’s a hot mess but it’s easier then keeping up with what I’m reading here.

2 Likes

reading Stephen King at the moment … i wasn’t much into reading since dad dies. i tried to come back different times but i never found fun in it again.

Now one last try and it works better, even when i can’t do it every evening. a start is done and i read 2 or 3 evenings in the week.

Two or three evening in a week sounds great, especially when you are just getting back into reading. Establishing a routine that works for you is the key.

Finished Oliver Twist and am about to start One Hundred Years of Solitude. Excited because I’ve always wanted to delve into magical realism/Latin American literature in general but never quite got round to it.

2 Likes

Have been sentimental today and read “Five feet apart” again😭

Last week I also read ®evolution again, to get myself around how much the story really showed similarities to that old Fanfic I wrote right after s4 O.O

Right now I am undecided what to read.

The only books I took with me to isolation a month ago and hoping to start reading next week.
Because it’s been years and years since I’ve read The Handmaid’s Tale (and not sure if I’ve read it in english, so I bought the new edition) and I want to re-read before sinking my teeth into Testaments.
Atwood’s beautiful beautiful use of language is a balm to the soul.

Also wow, 30+ years and we got a sequel.

1 Like

After reading a pretty technical film thing I’m back on my normal reading list.

Right now it’s The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. While I live the book I feel really bad for the family and it almost makes me feel guilty that I’m reading this book and they still haven’t been treated they way they should. It’s still really interesting.

1 Like

I am off to Narnia at the moment :heart:

1 Like

Book 4 of Cornelia Funkes “Reckless”… You might recall her being the author of Inkheart… Reckless plays in a world inspired of the fairytale collection of the Brother Grimms.

It’s hell of inspired, fantastically written and so much thought through. She is one of the best writers to me.

So true. I’m still in no hurry to revisit Gilead, though. Just because it’s a super depressing world with little to no glimmers of hope. But definitely plan on rereading it and reading Testaments, too.

I’ve been scratching the surface of magical realism this whole year, more or less. Been mostly going through the works of Marquez and Allende. One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera are my Marquez faves. I love the idea behind The ​Autumn of the Patriarch and find some passages very, very powerful, but I didn’t enjoy it on the whole. I feel it could have been shorter and conveyed the same message more effectively. But I know many people consider it a masterpiece, so to each his own. I have similar feelings about The General in His Labyrinth. Plus, I at the same time admire the fact he chose to portray Bolivar as both a liberator and a dictator but would have probably enjoyed the reading more if he had painted a more idealized picture of Bolivar. That’s on me, though. Allende’s The House of the Spirits and Of Love and Shadows are my faves. The rest I read are fun, but less profound and impactful. Also read Llosa’s Conversation in The Cathedral and was blown away by the intricacy of its structure and the quality of its dialogue. Magnificent novel on the whole.

1 Like

I am currently reading The Rider (“Ryttaren” in swedish, it’s a swedish book). It’s a bit like the tv shows Agatha Raisin, Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators and The Brookenwood Mysteries.

1 Like

So proud of being back with that. … had a break from read for 2 or 3 years. Now i find my way back and reading " outsider" from stephen king

Finally finished the Seven sisters series by Lucinda Riley. Awesome series!!! :heart:

I am currently reading ‘Right as Raine’.

I have taken advantage of a 3 month trial with Kindle Umlimited. This shall be the first of many ‘gay eroticas’ I hope to read before the end of the trial.

:innocent:

@Jack have you ever read The Lightening Struck Heart by T J Klune? It’s amazing and I think you’d love it!

I’ve just finished House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas. Cried from start to finish, even though this is my third read! Excited for the next one to come out in the series.

I’ve also got The Rabbit Hunter and Lazarus by Lars Kepler to read. Love the series!

1 Like

@Danni Thanks for pinging me the link. I just read the synopsis and it sounds bloody brilliant. :slight_smile:

I notice it is on audible but that subscription is currently cancelled. Maybe it will be a trip to the library. Thanks again.

1 Like

I’ve been reading and listening to the Legend of the Ice People, it for sure is a ride since there is like over 40 books but I’m loving it :smiley:

I’m currently reading Birth of the Mall Rats by Harry Duffin. Have read it since the 10th, and even though the chapters are small it’s still taking me some time to get through it. Also trying to read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell which I have read since the 3rd. Hoping to finish both of them by the end of the month.