A Beginning - Roleplay

Genesis
Teacher’s lounge

I think the bomb he just dropped of a long time member of our community disappearing has stunned everyone. When he opens the floor to questioning it takes a minute before a beefy looking guy stands up from the plate in his face. “That’s too bad about Claire,” he says, not really sounding too empathetic, I note. I get it. She was a sweet gal to everyone’s face, but I knew her, we were close once a long time ago, but the instant there was an opportunity to climb any ladder, she’d make you hold it, then take it away so you couldn’t follow.

The guy goes on, “Communal living is great and all for you people, but it ain’t gonna fly with us farmers. We got animals and they’re best taken care of in a farm setting, ya get it?”

I told Corin, a lot of people weren’t gonna be keen on this, but it was a good idea for those who didn’t have animals or even proper shelter.

“That’s a good point,” I pipe in, chancing a look at Sabrina. She has animals herself and I can imagine her anger is only increasing with this proposal.

“That means making the town safer and rationing our resources even more important, right? Because not everyone can live in the school but we need them to feel protected and also not to starve.”

2 Likes

Sabrina

To my relief Thomas I think that’s his name spoke up about my concerns. I just hope Corin is sensible about this. I listen as Genesis follows on from what Thomas is saying I’m watching her but look fo Corin to see his reaction as to what she is saying.

1 Like

Jessi

I looked at Devon and my smile got a little wider, as well as my cheeks, getting more of a dark red color now. I glanced up at him still smiling and nodded my head. [B" Of course"[/B] I looked at Devon before eyeing the plate a little as I blushed. I then quickly looked up and nodded my head, " of course, you go ahead" I smiled softly.

I then heard Dyson begining to park and looked up to see Bo, I gave her a light smile as I gave her back the lead. “I’m just gonna finish eating up” I said to Bo. I really needed some food in my stomach I felt.

@Lottie @Jack

1 Like

Devon

I nod at her with a little smile before i turn arround. I walk over to the meeting room and feel how i finally catch some breathe. Did i talk with that girl the whole time, without breathing? At least it feels little… i skahe my head for a moment and open the door. People are already speaking and i slip next to Sabrina and Genesis. " What did i miss?" i whisper to them.

@Flamekeeper
@Eagle

2 Likes

Sabrina

Awaiting Corin’s response I feel someone coming in behind. Devon sits next to Genesis and asks us what’s happening. I want Genesis to respond but I can see she’s preoccupied with Corin. ”Corin wants us to leave our farms to live in the school. He thinks it’ll be safer for us” I sigh.

@Ash @Flamekeeper @Lottie

1 Like

Genesis

“I don’t think he wants you to leave your farms,” I say as I hear Sabrina explaining things to Devon who is slipping in, though I’m addressing the whole teacher’s lounge. “But he’s trying to come up with a solution that’ll help us more than hurt us.”

And oh my God, what has the virus done to me? A few weeks ago I wouldn’t have even spoken up in a crowd, despite being quite opinionated, let alone been speaking on Corin’s behalf. Sterling, especially, would be looking at me like my head had twisted around backwards, if he were here.

“Does anyone have any better solutions?” I question? “This isn’t a dictatorship, so speak up!”

Eve

I try to follow the Meeting but i am afraid i have missed the begiining and so the reason for the discuss. I spot Devon sneaking in and asking Genesis and Sabrina about what has happened yet. i lean in a bit to hear what he say. I stare as they told him that we all should stay in the School. No, everything but not this……

Devon

I swallow hard as i listen to the Girls? Leaving my farm? Genesis mentions, that Maybe i don’t have to leave, but how can i be sure about that. Without thinking much i stand up and look at Corin.
" What about us farmers? I can’ t stay at school and go to the farm everyday. I need to stay there, checking on everything and making sure we have enough food. "

1 Like

Sabrina

I know in theory it sounds like it’s a good idea. I scowl at Genesis even though Corin said he wants everyone living at the school but I just roll my eyes and dismiss it as she continues talking. While Genesis continues talking I turn to Devon but he starts talking to Corin.

@Flamekeeper @Lottie

2 Likes

CORIN:

I’m trying to listen to anyone who’s interested in talking, and I’m grateful for Genesis, who’s trying to get more than hushed discussions from everyone.

Devon brings up a good point and I see that Sabrina is agreeing with him.

“I hear you, Devon. Maybe we could just need to get most of the town folk under one roof, and have those with farming experience move to the biggest of the farms?”

I look around, hoping they see the benefits of this idea.
“I mean, if all of us were in 3 or 4 locations instead of 60 different houses, it would still be way better than our current situation. I realize we need to protect the farm animals too…and keep the farms running…but maybe that won’t stop us from consolidating the living situations for everybody in town??”

I look around again, waiting for someone else to jump in with their thoughts

@everyone in teachers lounge

4 Likes

Sabrina

I know at this point Corin just wants to keep us safe but I could not live with so many people. I wish he just wanted to keep to his original idea of having people move in with others. A FEW people. I look at him solemnly. I wish I could just say how I feel but I know I would not be heard of taken seriously. Definitely considering what I said before. At least Devon feels the same way. I look at him to he if he’s going to say something.

@Ash @Lottie

4 Likes

Eve

A bit surpirsed it see Devon standing up to speak. He tells Corin, that he want to stay at the farm. Oh i want that too… i wait till he is back on his seat and i grab his shoulder " Can i stay at the farm too?"

Devon

Corin agrees with me and thats all i want at the moment. " I would like to have my helpers with me, i can make a list then or something, " i add on before i sit down. I feel a hand on my shoulder, Eve. She asks me, if she can stay at the farm." Sure, you knows you jobs, don’t you?" i joke at her and she nods with a smile. Ok, helper one is up then.

3 Likes

Genesis

I know we’ve discussed this, Devon, Sabrina, and I, living together, but none of us ever concretely decided on where. Then I began working on the old grocery store and figured I’d just settle there in the small attic apartment, alone but still work closely with the others, now I don’t know of anything.

Luna was back and Pratt, they could take up space at Devon’s farm, Eve too, and while I can grow a garden, farm work is not natural to me. Sabrina had animals too, I could help her with Fenella while she did her work, but I’m not even sure about her right now…

I’m not sure about anything and sometimes I wonder if I should’ve just left with Sterling. This place is home though. I could never leave it, not willingly. We just needed to find a way to think like our parents had, in terms of keeping this town flourishing, everyone was like a part of one big machine.

“So the farmers will network, work together and look out for each other? And others who want can stay here for the Winter? Heck they could travel daily or once a week to the farms to help, I don’t see a problem with that,” I speak up. “But that’s only half of what needs to be covered. What about safety in general?” I look at Corin now.

I hadn’t thought this Harvest celebration would just be more squabbling and politics, but that’s what I get for hoping. “People are just wandering in and out of town and miss—” I stop myself short of calling her goody-two-shoes, “Claire, has disappeared without a trace. We care about rations, shelter, and stuff, but we need some security like yesterday.”

3 Likes

Sabrina

I decide to say something. I wait until Genesis finishes. Poor Corin he’s barely getting a word in, but I want to say something and I’ll convince my way out of it. ”I think everyone should decide what they want to do. If they want to be set up and live here they can be, but if people don’t want to be they should decide what they want to do too. There must be a way to keep tabs on everyone like taking a role every few days. Some of us have phones and I know we don’t know what’s going to happen to the power but we can always call eachother for the time being”

I fear I’ve said too much so I stop and wait for a response

@Ash @Flamekeeper

4 Likes

Bo & Dyson

No one knew anything, and I was emotionally drained. I had fallen into a little daydream watching the big hall clock flick minute by minute. There were so many people in the hall laughing and talking but the only noise I could hear in my head was TICK TOCK TICK TOCK.

I wanted to try and switch off so I decided it was time to head home. I would swing by Genesis’s tomorrow to see what had been discussed at the meeting. At least I know there are some volunteers who will be patrolling tomorrow hoping to find Claire or at least a clue of where she could be.

I pull Dyson up who was happily relaxed on the wooden floor. “Sorry, but it’s time we left.” I do hope the bar is okay, I normally am always there at this time.

I grab Claire’s stuff from the table and catch Jessica’s eye and wave. I mouth "Let’s go! Meet you outside. Dyson and I head out so he can try and do a wee-wee.

@Tribelover15

3 Likes

Three days later

A slow and sure process of moving is underway. The meeting finished with the agreement of the majority of the town’s people to start living in the school but people who chose to, still accommodated their preferred place. With some of the teenagers kindly lending resources such as vehicles the moving process is becoming achievable to be finished within the week.

3 Likes

Devon

“Uff… done…” i mumble and just my arm to wipe away th sweat from my forehead. Sicne Pratt was gone my dream of a helping hand has died. So i was up to me to fix everything and get the house ready, just in case one of the girls or some farm helpers decided to stay. Today noon it was the roof of the barn. It took me hours to repair it, but now i am done. Hopefully Eve hasn’t forgotten about the food.
I grab my tools and carefully walk over to the place where the ladder is… or should be…" noooo" i shout out as i see it lying on the ground. With some pigs arround. " Eve!!!" i scream out as load as i could, even when i know it would need much luck to be heard from on this distance.

Eve

" Not bad… i think" i take one last try on the soup. I was done so far with all the work and Devon asks me if i could do the lunch today. I tried very hard to hide my fear about this job but o nodded at him.
I was never good at cooking, but decided t that a soup couldn’t be that hard and so grabbed what i could get and what needed to be cooked and startet the adventure

@everyone is welcome to help Devon and/or try Eves soup. ( no plan, feel free to say if it tastes or not)

Sabrina

I make my way around Devon’s veges with a sizeable watering can. I know I should be helping everyone move in to the school, after the harvest dinner night I was too embarrassed to step foot in town again. Especially since Luna and Prometheus left. What a horror that situation was. I cringe at the thought. I douse the last lettuce with some water and place the watering can down and wipe the sweat off my forehead. This must be one of the last warm days

I go back inside to check on Fenella who is on the lounge room floor on her mat with all of her toys. I go up to her and entertain her with a little rattle toy and a few raspberries, happy that she’s content I start to make my way towards the barn to find out what else I can do. As I make my way toward the barn I can hear Devon yelling. Scared I pick up my pace. Everything alright Devon?” I yell as get closer to the barn

@Lottie

2 Likes

Devon

I stop yelling, trying to catch my breathe again. Hopefully Eve would at least notice when i am to late for lunch and will look out for me…
I look in the direction of the house as i see a figure coming closer. Sabina!

“Sabrina! Thank god, can you help me with the ladder” i shout back at her and piont to the ground.

2 Likes

Sabrina

I approach the ladder with a fit of giggles. ”How did this happen!” I pick the ladder up and haul it of where Devon stood. I held on the the ladder at the side as to keep it steady.

1 Like

Devon

“Seems like the pigs feels disturbed by it, they knock it over.” I explain as i grab the ladder and place it on the edge of the roof. I give it i little push from above to check if it steady. I look down and see Sabrina Holding it, so i guess it is safe. I come down besdie her and breathe in relief. " Thank you so much."