A New Hope

KC

I spot the Techno and like a reflex i clench my fists. All the memories from being a prisoner are coming back in just a second and i have finally found one to take revenge. " Yeah…" is all i can get out before i was about to walk in his direction.

@Jack

R A M

I lean against the railing at the side of the boat, gazing out at the island we’d run aground on with intrigue. It was about time. I’d kept a close eye on vessel’s bearing for the extent of our voyage and had a pretty good idea where we were in relation to the mainland at this point… If I was right – and I usually am – I’d get confirmation soon enough…

Catching sight of the scene unfolding between dear Jacky boy and our reluctant boat captain, Zak, pulls me from my thoughts and draws a croak of laughter from my dry throat. I gotta give it to the Mall Rats – While the impromptu trip here was absolutely every bit as unpleasant as you’d imagine it to be, it was never boring. Seriously, they should have a reality show on CityNet! It’d be an instant hit! If we still had CityNet…

I turn away from the railing to squint up at Ebony on the boat’s roof. I’m only able to make out her outline with the sun shining so brightly in the sky behind her… but, oooh, what a lovely outline it is… I press the edge of my open hand to my brow, shielding my eyes to see her better as she looks through the binoculars.

There’s a moment of tension as I wait to see if she’s spotted anything of interest but her expression doesn’t seem to change as she lets them drop to her chest. Man, I’d love to get ahold of that pair… – I mean the binoculars! Not her-- Oh, geez! Get your mind out of the gutter! Yeesh!

“Makes sense.” I say with a shrug in response to Ebony’s recommendation that we stay near to the boat and for a moment even I believe I’m about to agree without criticism…

“-- As a temporary solution. We’ll want to scout for a more permanent base of operations as soon as we can.” I add matter-of-factly. “If there’s danger on this island the last thing we want is to be stuck out in the open like this with the sea at our backs.”

“May I?” I ask cooly, gesturing to the binoculars dangling from her neck. Hmm… Probably best to make sure there’s no confusion there… “Binoculars. Please.”

@Ash

2 Likes

Jack

There was lots going on and for the sake of my manhood I stayed tight lipped. Ellie was just at the right height to cause damage, so instead of saying or doing something wrong I carried on taking in all the Mall Rats scurrying around.

I found it so hard seeing Gel fall into the water and listening to her screaming without bursting out with laughter. I think I even head Ellie chuckle. Of all the people it could of happened too, it had to be Gel. I just hope her volume didn’t alert anyone nearby.

Gel’s screams were loud enough to make Zak look back across from the small distant he had wandered up the beach. Our eyes met, which made me feel all funny, I plonked myself down next to my girlfriend Ellie.

“Hello my little mermaid …”

Alice

As KC stepped forward I tugged on his arm, I had realised the Techno had a chance to attack right from where he stood.

I could see the bulging black zapper on his wrist which I had seen Wizard fire from one just like it back on the ship. He had that mouthful Moz chained to him. Him and her really did not see eye to eye so he got great pleasure out of stunning her with it several times. I dislike the girl but she didn’t deserve to be shot, Wizard was without a doubt the nastier one out of him and Stats. I wonder if Stats is alive and still a Techno.

I spoke softly to KC, “Bend down on my count of 3, and pick up a coconut in each hand and launch it at that beast! 3 … 2 … 1!”

KC

I feel Alice holding me back and i turn my head at her, watching her annoyed. Coconuts? i want to punch and kick him so badly and all she has are coconuts??? Seriously???
She pulls me again and i breathe deep. “Ok, but i will be the first one who punsh him then.” i look straight at her before i follow her lead and grap the coconuts.

@Jack

Zak
I roll my eyes at how long everyone is taking, they should be all jumping off the boat and ready to look for food and water “Hey you guys are taking ages. We need to find water and food but the longer we wait around the nearer it gets to nightfall which… Guess what… Will make it harder to find anything” I say sarcastically “So you guys can stay here and chat but I am starving, time to actually do something” I tell them and walk away from the boat heading straight ahead. It’s always been just me so waiting on a group that spends more time faffing around is making me on edge.

LEX

Gel is loudly protesting something, my guess is the fact that she’s wet, but if she had my view of the situation that would be the least of her worries. The damp cloth clinging to her body in all the right places. I painfully switch my attention to the situation at hand. We are in a new place, without our comforts and we need a leader who can at least fake his way to knowing the situation.

I wasn’t thrilled about camping, or the jungle. But power is nice power comes all sorts of things. I sneak another glance at Gel noticing how the outline of her nipples are vividly seen against the wet shirt.

“Right, so we need to start a fire. I can do that, but I need sticks. Nothing too large and it has to be dry. Next we can focus on a shelter. Island exploring can come later, but we need a space for ourselves first.”

I doubt any of them have skills like we learned in boot camp, this isn’t the Mall and this isn’t a game.

1 Like

Alice

4 coconuts start to fly through the air, the Techno fires his zapper as the coconuts soar towards him. One of the coconuts explodes in the air as the laser hits it. The techno then has to worry about the other 3 coming towards him. This is mine and KC’s chance to take him down, his shots are no way on target to hit us.

I charge myself at this ‘loser’ and tackle him to the ground. I have so much rage inside me. I swing my head down and headbutt the ‘fool’.

I spit in his face, “So instead of those “island chicks” who are working for The Techno’s guarding those cages, who can put up a fight they send a knob jockey with his little toy gun to come find us. You should of never come looking for us …”

@Catha

1 Like

As we make it to this unknown island part of me starts to feel defensive. Other than the trees, sand and some rocks that are on the island we have no clue what or who else could be here. All I know is my duty is to protect those that I care about and I just let my mind wander hoping that this island is safe.

Ebony:

With nobody listening to each other I realize we’re probably doomed.
I hardly care anymore.
I glance quickly at Slade…

Disgusted with all these people, I pass the binoculars to Ram and say “you can stay or you can come along, but I’m going to to take a look around for water and food.”

I grab up my rucksack and glance at Lottie.
She’s nimble…and since Lex has ignored me and decided on his own priorities…
Talking towards Lex’s backside, I comment that
“A fire might be Good or maybe bad, depending on who else is near enough to see it.”

Then I turn my attention to the little street urchin in front of me
“Lottie, I’m taking you with me. You can climb a tree, right?”
I ask her in total seriousness, since I can see palm trees with potential coconuts lining the beach some distance from us along the jungles edge.

@Ram
@Patch
@Lex

3 Likes

R U B Y

“Now just hold on just a minute!” I quickly interject when I hear Ebony address Lottie. “Lottie’s not going anywhere with you! It’s too dangerous!” Holding Lottie’s arm now, I tell her gently, “You don’t have to go with her, Lottie…”

I glare at Ebony. When I speak of danger I find I’m referring less to the jungle and more to the woman herself. I wouldn’t trust her as far as I could throw her… and with my arm still in bad shape from my run in with the truck back in the City, that’s not very far at all.

Looking around for support, I find only Ram, heavily invested in adjusting the pair of binoculars he’d just been handed. “Ram! I wave a hand in front of the lenses to get his attention. “Tell her!”

R A M

“Much obliged.” I drawl, sparing Ebony a wink as I take the binoculars and loop them over my own neck. I set about adjusting them for my own use, placing them to my eyes every so often. Not much to see down here… except… I turn my sights to the Mall Rats already on the beach. They’re already well within viewing distance of my naked eyes but a closer look never hurt anyone…

Suddenly something blocks my view and I look up to find Ruby glowering at me with expectation. I’ve only been half following along with her and Ebony’s quarrel but it’s not difficult to fill in the blanks after a quick glance at the scene before me.

I shrug, mumbling, “Idunno.” If I seem inconvenienced at being brought into this, that’s because I’ve got other things to worry about right now! Bigger, serious things! “Look, Ruby, if the kid wants to go off with Ebony, that’s completely up to her! I don’t have time for this!”

Turning away, it’s apparent I’ll need to climb onto the boat’s roof as Ebony had done before me if I expect to spot anything of real interest. I’m not nearly as agile as her but I manage without too much difficulty and place the binoculars to my eyes once more.

“Right then, Ram…” I murmur to myself. “Let’s see what we can see… I spy with my little eye…”

OOC - Don’t worry, I swear I’m not going to make a habit of talking to myself. Well… not like this at least… :joy: @Ash @Patch

2 Likes

Jack

I had been quiet for too long but Lex and Zak were both right we had to start pulling our finger out. It was time to split up the Mallrats.

I nervously chirped up directing my long sentence to anyone that was bothering to listen.

“Erm guys I think we should divide into 3 groups. 1 to salvage food, 2 for collecting materials for a shelter or alternatively discovering a palace, and 3 some of us to stay right here to protect the boat and start making it more homely. Gotta hand it to you Lex for taking some kind of charge to get us in the right direction. I was beginning to think we were going nowhere today. And Ebony, if you wish to go off alone just like Zak has by all means do, but I suggest choosing a group option. I am hoping Zak wanders back over and integrates more with us and joins a group.”

Phew, I did it. I took some kind of authority, go me. Now I just hope I am not ignored because that would be really embarrassing.

@Lex @Ash @Ram @Zandra

2 Likes

Salene

I walk upstairs and spot the Island we have finally reached and see the others leaving the boot. I follow the crowd, trying to figure out if there is any plan… Then i hear vioces shouting at each other.
" Hey guy! Is there something i can do to work this out? Or do you really want to discuss now, after we have finally reach an island ?"

@Ash
@Ram
@Patch

KC

We start thrown the nuts and Alice runs over to knock him down." So much for my revenge." i mumble while i run after her." Hey, Hey slowly. " i place my hand on Alice shoulder as she spit on him. I walk pass her and grab the Techno on his shirt collar and lift him up with both hands. " She is right you are miserable and really not worth a fight." i look up at him and throw him against the tree next to us.

@Jack

1 Like

Trudy

After Slade helps me get Brady off the boat, I get off myself, and roll my eyes as Gel fusses that she’s wet.

In this moment, she reminds me so much of Zandra when I first met her.

Gratefully I take Brady from Slade with a quick “thank you!” as I feel Ebony’s eyes burning in the back of my head.

Yeah Trudes… let’s not get into this situation again… I think to myself as I get Brady onto the beach.

I hear a suggestion about splitting up our group, and worry for a moment, as there’s no way I can get Brady quiet enough to go foraging.

My heart feels lighter as I Amber volunteers to take off with May, Darryl, Sammy and… Ellie…

Seeing Amber with Jay still hurt, like crazy.

I look at Jack, wondering if something was wrong between him and Ellie…

Though it made some sense ofcourse, Ellie was a farm girl, she might be of use distinguishing between edible and inedible fruits…

As I watch my daughter collect shells from the beach, where the water hits the sand, and a chill runs over my spine.

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it feels… familiar…

2 Likes

Jack

I was sad to see Ellie go off without me, but I knew she would be okay with Amber. It felt right that a little bit of space was needed after being stuck together on the boat.

I was blowing kisses to Ellie, but she was oblivious to this as she had turned attentions to Darryl as the group moved on into the distance. I just hope she comes back with a smile on her face …

Alice

The strength I see from KC is incredible. Me and him make quite a team, but I was not prepared to stop there.

The Techno was rather dazed after the harm we had caused. I grabbed his arm, and tugged off his zapper.

“I could leave it on you, you pathetic snake as your pretty useless with it but your not gonna need it.”

I turned, and stomped to pick up another fallen coconut. And with all my might I swung it across the front of the Techno’s skull …

1 Like

Zak

Hearing someone actually taking charge I turn and head back “Finally someone taking some kind of charge” I say loudly as I reach the group. watching some of them going wandering off in one direction, let’s hope they come back quickly because I was ready for food.
I was always good at getting hold of what I needed but this was different, things weren’t as accessible here like there was in the city.

1 Like

iuLuke

My mind goes through the options. Who would be best to send out, which of our guards would have the best chance of succes?

How will we prevent another disaster, like when Cloe let those other Mallrats escape.

Surely it spells trouble if KC and Alice were to join up with Patsy and Ryan… IF they were even still alive and on this island.

I write a few names down, trusted Techno’s with no link or love for the ones we are after.

Because even though they are but virts, these Mallrats always seem to find a way to fight back, no matter what.
Still, with our stun guns the escaped rats should be no match for us… and even if they were, thanks to Ved’s nifty little adjustment, they wouldn’t be able to use one against us even if they got hold of it.

“Lieutenant…”

I turn towards the sound and smile at the woman before me.

She’s exactly how I always knew she would be from the moment I met her.

A perfect fit, with the right mindset to be one of us, to do what needs to be done for our cause.

“Yes Danni, please come in”

2 Likes

Gel

My clothes are sticking to me as I stand there dripping wet, I see Lex looking at me and cross my arms across my chest… I feel a chill as a light breeze blows around me… I see my bag on the boat where I dropped it before I fell, I reach up and grab it…

“Lex, LEX…” I moan “I need somewhere to get changed… Lex… LEX!!” I squeal in my spoilt way…
@Lex

1 Like

Zandra

I stay hidden within the brambles for a while listening to see if I could hear anything coming my way but nothing caught my attention. I was on edge today after seeing the movement going on at the cage, the only thing I can think of is that some of the prisoners have escaped.

I was quite lucky when I got out, no one knew who I was and they probably thought I was a vulnerable girl who wouldn’t last long without some help so I’d be no concern to them but whoever has got out must be someone known or maybe it was a big group.

Shimmering out from the brambles, I look at my arm seeing the small scratches, thankfully I had found some yarrow last week. I was thankful for what The Circle had taught me after Eagle Mountain, there was no chance I would have survived this long without what they had taught me.

I head in the opposite direction of the cages, wanting to be as far as from them as possible.

2 Likes

SLADE

I hand Brady to Trudy, relieved it was a quick turnover as I could almost feel Ebony’s stare piercing me. “Yeah, no problem,” I return Trudy’s smile before giving my attention to the group.

It’s advised by Lex and Ebony there be some scouting and then there’s mention of dividing into groups. I don’t know who I agree with more. It seems safer to stay altogether, but food and water are vital. Before I can pipe in, however, there’s debate over Lottie.

“What if I came along?” I look between the women.

LOTTIE

My hands ball into fists at my sides as Ruby answers Ebony for me. This is why it sucks being a kid, except I’m not a kid. Not anymore. “Yes, I can climb a tree,” I answer, Ebony while cutting my eyes at Ruby. Well, I don’t know about a coconut tree, but I could try.

“Please, let me do my part,” I plead trying to keep the whine out my voice. The key os to sound sure and mature. I can’t believe Ruby even referred to Ram for help. And then there’s Slade trying to pacify his two girlfriends. They’re idiots, all of them.

I plead with eyes, looking to Salene for help. Hoping she’ll be on my side. “If we’re splitting up, I don’t just want to be stuck on the beach. It’ll be like being on the boat. Only with sand everywhere. I’ll be careful, I swear.”

@Ram
@Trudy
@Ash
@Catha

4 Likes

EBONY

Slade interjects and offers to go along with Lottie and me. For a moment I want to tell Slade to shove off…but the idea of him choosing to head into the jungle with me, leaving Ruby here on the dreadful old boat…
It is just too good. I see Ruby and she doesn’t look at all happy.

I try to keep the smirk off my face, I cross my arms and wait as patiently as I can for Ruby to agree to Lottie going or not.

Others have already gone off in search of water and whatever else they can find…
My stomach growls loudly in protest.
I look away, trying to keep part of my attention on our surroundings as well as Slade’s expressions.

@Ram
@Patch

2 Likes