A New Hope

DANNI

Walking into the room I tilt my head slightly as I look at Luke’s expression. I’d worked under him for long enough to recognise when something wasn’t quite right, which could also explain the guard I’d seen hurrying in the opposite direction.

Biting my lip I resist the urge to question him about whatever was going on. I knew my place within the hierarchy and although I pushed that with some people I knew better than to push it with Luke.

“Rations are sorted for the next month,” I comment, choosing instead to discuss my morning’s task. “I’ve also finished the monthly report for Project Atlantis. Process has been slightly slower than intended due to the mishap we had the other week.” The mishap I was referring to had been created by one of the prisoners attempting to escape through an unused shaft which had led to a section being flooded, luckily there had been no casualties.

I pause, watching his expression for a moment, “power dropped a couple of times as well, the generator might need a once over.” I knew Luke would be able to allocate that task to the most suitable person, which wasn’t me.

@Trudy

3 Likes

VED

The stuff in the canteen that passes for coffee really isn’t coffee, it tastes more like mud not that I knew what mud tasted like but this was my best guess. With no communication from HQ in the last few days we had no idea when the next shipment of rations and prisoners would arrive which was slightly concerning. We had enough food to last, that was the joy of rationing but luxury items like coffee were harder to get hold of and that meant they had to be shipped in especially.

I knew I needed to get back to the radio but I wasn’t in the mood. Instead, having discarded the half-drunk mug of coffee on a nearby table, I start walking towards the cages. I have little interest in the virts, if anything I pity their lack of technical understanding, but they will never embrace our world no matter how hard we try and provide better things for them.

Ignoring the noise from the cages I continue to walk towards the beach. Usually I was more focused than this but today I felt as though my mind was elsewhere. I’d had the dream again, which always threw me. Shaking my head I stare out towards the ocean and try and focus my thoughts.

1 Like

KC

I observe Alice as she get herself the zapper from the Techno. I stand behind her, just in cause his guy might try some moves and run away, but he seems to be beaten for now. I wnat to turn away but see from the side how Alice grap another coconut and throws it …" Alice, wait… you might kill him."

Salene

I look between the others. Slade, Ebony and Ruby at one place and talking bbout Lottie, this can only go wrong. And Ram, well Ram is Ram, so what….
I catch Lotties look at me and nod at her. " Listen, Lottie can come with me and we check the palm trees. Would that be ok?" i look at the others, but Ebony in first place and place my arm on Lotties shoulder

@Ram
@Ash
@Patch

Alice

KC’s words came to late.

The Techno was not moving. I felt no remorse in the act I had just committed.

I felt for his pulse … he was gone.

“We live to fight another day … it had to be done.”

Jack

Why am I all of the sudden the voice of reason. Was I just feeling more comfortable without Ellie breathing down my neck? I think I actually might be growing some balls.

I speak up, “Come on guys, this is getting ridiculous now. No offense Lottie but you are all fighting over one of the youngest tribe members who in my opinion would be safer on the beach.”

I can feel everyone’s eyes boaring into me.

“How about myself, Lex, Ram, Ebony, Slade and Trudy with little Brady of course look for shelter?Leaving Ruby, Salene, Lottie, Jay, Gel and Zak here who can protect the trawler, scout the beach and catch some fish. I know, why don’t you decide little miss Lottie as you seem to be the flavour of the month?”

I smile sweetly at Lottie …

@Catha @Patch @Lex

2 Likes

Trudy

As I overhear Jack’s suggestion of looking for shelter I nod. Anything to get off this beach, it feels so… exposed out here.
I lift Brady on my back and secure her with a wrap.
Thank goodness for Gel taking the craziest fashion supplies with her, including a huge scarf.
l look around at the others, arguing amongst eachother.
“Well, come on then… let’s get going before it get’s dark!”

LEX

My attention turns away from Gel, Jack finally starts to try and take charge of something, it’s like our little nerd has finally grown up. If we were back in the mall I’d probably cheer but instead I don’t like what he’s suggesting.

We are on an island. I get the feeling that the beach is probably the only part that isn’t brush, after the beach it’s just woods and trees and who knows what else. The thought about being in the middle of trees not able to see sky is nearly suffocating.

”No offense to anyone here, but wouldn’t we do better spreading out the muscle? I mean Slade can hold his own, we know I can, Zak probably could weasel his way out of a fight. But you Jack? Why should we put all our eggs in one basket? I reckon I should hang back on the beach. Someone should stay with the women and children.” I try and hide my panic with brawn but there’s no telling if it will work.

3 Likes

EBONY:

Seeing that this whole thing is going nowhere fast, I drop my pack on the ground dramatically.

“Well, since nobody seems to be going anywhere, I’m getting out of the sun.
Let me know when you’ve decided.”

I’m turn towards the boat and find a bit of shade on one side. I roll up my pants and step into the water, for a moment forgetting the arguing going on right beside me.
I look over my shoulder at Slade, irritated to see him waiting on Ruby’s word.

Being semi-alone, my thoughts start to wander
Slade doesn’t give a damn about me anymore. This is what happens Ebony, every guy. They leave you for the simpering weaklings…I should just sneak away…

1 Like

Jack

“You … you … you just can’t help yourself can you Lex? The tribe nuisance!”

I give Lex a big grin. We have been through a lot together, I really hope he accepts what I am trying to get across.

“I am not the wimpy weed you first met back in the Mall, I just want to get moving.”

I just wished other tribe members spoke up instead of me, but I get everyone was feeling slightly jaded.

“My suggestion of groups includes the muscle already, going Slade and Ebony, and staying here Jay and Ruby. Your representing the looks and extra muscle, Ram and I are the brains and Trudy is perfect to bring along from her time with the Eco’s.”

I could feel my heart racing and was dreading how Lex was going to react, I tried to big him up as much as I could.

I knew I was over stepping the mark, but it just felt right. God knows why I thought I would try.

“A true leader like Amber took no bull, and simply said that she would get food, and then others just followed her. Let’s get this show on the road! You can even be the little leader of our group …”

I knew Trudy had agreed on my plan, I gave her a slight smile. I bet she would prefer Lex to stay on the beach, but deep down he would be more useful with us exploring.

I tucked my hands in my pocket, and looked around. I saw Ebony by the boat and the sun beaming on her face made me look at her for the first time and think ‘wow’. My palms were sweating and my heart was racing.

@Lex @Trudy @Ash

2 Likes

MOZ

The chain attached to my wrist has started to chafe and I can feel a small trickle of blood running down my hand, but I don’t have the energy to do anything about it. Half opening my eyes I look up towards the window trying to gauge what time it is but someone has blocked it. A small noise escapes my lips but I quickly silence it, these b@stards didn’t get the pleasure of knowing I was in pain.

Solitary… that’s what they’d said as they’d dragged me towards the darkness. I knew something like this was coming, but that hadn’t prepared me for the terror as the door closed. I’d never felt this alone, this afraid, but no one was going to know that except the voice inside my head.

A noise outside the door catches my attention and I shuffle closer, my fingers reaching for the cold metal as I press my ear closer trying to hear what it is. Muffled voices, so faint it’s hard to make out words. ‘Project Atlantis, yes, she’ll be ready to go back in a few days. Stubborn insect just won’t die.’ My stomach drops, Project Atlantis was how I’d ended up in this hole, I didn’t want to go back… not into the water, not again.

3 Likes

DEBIAN

Carefully securing the stunner at my waist I stand to attention before carefully checking my uniform is pristine, it’s hard to keep it clean on this stupid island but I’m doing my best.

This was meant to be a promotion, a way to recognise all the work I’d done but somehow it felt like a way to get me out of the way, like some disappointing child that’s been shipped off to summer camp.

Heading out of the barracks I bypass the cafeteria deciding against slop for breakfast. I missed the mainland, with its beautiful women, the food and the booze. Here I had the joys of Techno women who had no idea how to have fun, and her.

She’d caught my eye the first day I’d arrive and I just hadn’t been able to get her out of my mind. She’d wormed her way into my head like and insect and now she was firmly rooted in my brain. I probably needed to see the medic to make sure it was nothing serious, but this feeling… it wouldn’t go away.

Nodding a couple of guards as I pass I pause as I hear part of their communication, “sorry, did I hear the word escaped?” I enquire, the fear coursing through my veins like hot acid, the guard nods ‘few days ago now. Got most of the pesky virts back but a couple are still missing, guess we need to feed them less as they seemed pretty sprightly. Don’t worry though, the lieutenants on the case, we’ll have them back before sundown.’

4 Likes

Zandra

I reach inside the pocket of the ‘dress’ I am wearing and pull out the last ration bar I have and chew my lip slightly. I know I can get more but I also know the risk included in it and not just for me.

I had given the last of my fresh stuff to the captives, I know i was crazy for sneaking back to the cages and it was getting riskier each time but I felt guilty that there were people still trapped in there, but after seeing all the activity around the cages I won’t be able to go back anymore.
I put the bar back into the pocket, I will save it until later, it’s harder to sleep on a hungry stomach.

I continue walking trying to be aware of my surroundings but even as I walk I know I don’t have anywhere to actually go and I always going to be stuck on this Island.

1 Like

KC

I breathe deep. i course i wanted to see him dead… but seeing him now? I swallow hard, what has the world done to use? We have really killed someone… have been able to and we did…

" Maybe… but what now?" i look at Alice questioning

@Jack

1 Like

Alice

It seems KC is rather calm, considering what had just took place in front of him.

I had killed the techno in cold blood. It was my intention and I did it without showing any emotion. After almost a gruelling year of imprisonment … I will do whatever is necessary to survive and be reunited with my sister.

Whilst I reply to KC with “We need to hide his body in the growth just in the distance over there,” I begin to wonder how he really felt after witnessing me take another persons life.

1 Like

KC

" Well… let’s do this" i answer Alice and walk over to the dead body. I stop in front of him and take a deep breathe again. I look in his face and watch the Techno symbol for a moment, a little rollercoaster of emotions is running throught my mind: anger, hate and some kind of helpless. I never wanted to live like this, but i guess thats where we are now and we have to deal with it. i grap his arm and throw the body over my shoulder before i turn to Alice. " Let’s get this done, lead the way."

2 Likes

Luke

With the importance of Project Atlantis for our future, I make quick notes of Danni’s report and grab a dect.

“Byte, do you copy”

As she confirms she heard me, I smile.

“The generator for P.A. needs a check-up, get to it stat ok.”

If there’s anyone who can get that generator into perfect shape again, it’s our petite mechanic. I don’t know where Mega found her, but she really was a great asset to have on the team.

I turn my attention back to Danni, who’s waiting patiently, but with a wondering look on her face.

“I just got word that the two prisoners who escaped earlier this week, weren’t just any prisoners… they were Mallrats…”

Studying her face for a moment, I notice her response is more like mine. Annoyed, and slightly worried about what this might imply.

“KC and Alice are out there… and so far managed to evade the guards following them.”

Picking up a note I made earlier, I stare at it for a moment and hand it to her.

“Could you make sure these teams go on a search party? These are the furthest they could have gone by foot…

Debain and Paul can take this part of the island” I say as I indicate it on the map.

“Perl, Link, Hal and Ada can search this area…

and if you like you could join Ved to scout further ahead with the buggies?”

Trudy

Fed up with waiting I start to walk in a random direction, away from the others. I have a feeling this is the right way, though to where, I’m not sure.

I glance back, hoping I don’t have to go it alone and others will stop their bickering and just follow me…

5 Likes

Ebony:

Stepping back on dry land I catch Jack checking me out…I’m not disappointed to be attracting male attention, even if it’s not Slade.
I give Jack a full smile before bending down to put my boots back on, exposing my clevage suggestively.
I chuckle under my breath, low enough that nobody can hear me.
Jack could be fun, given a little push towards the dark side I think to myself.

Looking up from lacing my boots, I see Trudy wandering off, just her and Brady.

I immediately have a funny feeling…I can’t place it…but I decide to follow her. Walking past the others I pick up my rucksack and jog to catch up to Trudy, falling in step beside her. I glance sidelong at her, but I don’t say anything.

@Trudy
@Jack

DANNI

Luke asks Byte to look at the generator and I can’t help but smile slightly, it’s nice knowing that the work I’m doing here is appreciated enough that the Lieutenant gets my requests sorted straight away, well that and the importance of Project Atlantis.

As he turns the smile drops from my face, replaced with a look of annoyance. “How?” There was obviously going to have to be an investigation into how the prisoners had escaped, because this wasn’t the first break out there had been at the island. This was the downside to getting locals to help with security.

Folding my arms as he tells me Alice and KC are somewhere on the island I shake my head slightly, “we should have separated them at the first opportunity.” The thought of them working together to escape make me furious and I turn away from Luke for a moment to hide the anger on my face, sure they’d work together to escape but they wouldn’t work together to rescue one of their own. I’d been abandoned, which just reminded me of the pain I’d experienced when I’d realised no one was coming for me.

Turning back to Luke I take the note from him and scan it quickly, “Ada is still on rotation with Atlantis.” I comment, “I can pull her off or, we could send Ax instead?”

Nodding as he instructs me to join Ved I slip the note in to the pocket of my uniform, “I guess we want them alive?” I know the answer is yes, but part of me would love for him to say no. Offering him a small smile I turn to leave, “we’ll find them Luke, I mean, Lieutenant. They can’t get far.”

Walking out of the office I turn and head towards the canteen, knowing where I’d find Perl. As I walk I notice Debian chatting with a couple of the guards, “Debian, just the man.” Dismissing the guards with a look I wait until they are out of ear shot before I give him his task, “I know you’ve heard about the escape.” I comment before he can talk, “there are two virts still loose on the island and they are prisoners of interest so need tracking down immediately. Find Paul, the Lieutenant wants you two to search the top of the island, just past that old shipwreck.”

Without giving him a chance to question my orders I continue walking to the cafeteria. It doesn’t take me long to find Ax and Perl, the bonus of creating the majority of the work rotas. After giving them their instructions I head to the buggy storage, pulling on a helmet I grab the keys. Ved was either at the radio, so I’d swing by there and give him his instructions before going off on my search.

@Trudy
@Moz

1 Like

VED

The sound of the waves lapping against the shore gives me a moment of distraction, the repetition distracting my brain from the tangent it was trying to go off on. I didn’t want to think about the dreams, they just made me feel and that was the last thing I wanted.

I knew I needed to get back to the radio, we weren’t meant to leave our posts for more than a few minutes at a time but I couldn’t face the sound of more static. My mind just didn’t seem able to focus. It was like something was missing, I just wasn’t sure what.

Noticing a cloud of sand I turn towards it and watch the approaching buggy bounce through the sand. We haven’t had those out for a while so either someone was having a play or, more likely, something had happened. As it draws to a stop I offer the driver a small smile, “commander,” I knew Danni had worked hard to move through the ranks, her dedication to the cause reminded me of someone but I couldn’t say who.

‘Two of the prisoners are still missing,’ she explains and I nod, I hadn’t been that interested when I’d heard there had been a break out the other day, usually the virts get rounded up pretty quickly as they had a habit of acting like lemmings and all following each other, ‘the Lieutenant wants us to scout in the buggies and see what we can find. If I take the top half, you can head out to the east.’ Her instructions are clear and there’s very little room to question or argue, I don’t even have time to ask who the prisoners are before she’s re-started the engine and is headed off down the beach.

Turning I head back to the garage, at least this way I could have a bit of a play, I hadn’t been out in one of the buggies for ages because we were trying to conserve the fuel. Obviously the escaped virts who had managed to evade recapture were more intelligent than the other sheep but they’d still get caught, one way or another

1 Like

. DEBIAN

Before I have a chance to breathe a sigh of relief the Commander joins us, dismissing the guards in a way that only she seemed to know how to do. I can’t help but worry for a moment that I’ve done something wrong, or that my secret has been discovered, but instead she gives me instructions. Nodding as she asks if I’ve heard about the escape I stay quiet, an opportunity to search, this was too good to pass up.

“Yes Commander,” I nod, the shipwreck was the perfect direction for me to go in, although with Paul it might be more challenging. “Right away Commander.”

As Danni walks away I let out a breath I didn’t realise I’d been holding. Right, now I just needed to get to Paul. I had no idea where he would be, but it was always best just to start in barracks and head from there.

Heading back in the direction I’d come from earlier I keep looking around, trying to work out who else has been dispatched as part of the search and who the hell had escaped. Prisoners of interest, none of the prisoners had seemed that interesting recently but obviously I’d not been paying enough attention.

Reaching the barracks I head into one of the other rooms, and spy Paul in his section. Raising my hand in greeting I move closer to him, making sure I’ve got his full attention before I speak. “We’ve been tasked with searching for the virts.” I explain to him, “the Lieutenant wants us to search the top of the island, past the old shipwreck.”

@Patsy

1 Like

Alice

Watching KC throw the techno over his shoulder I am completely taken back of his strength. I have never know someone to grow up so fast.

KC asks me to the lead way, so I look at him and reply with “Yes hulk!”, followed by a smile.

Before heading off, I bend down and pick up the Techno’s zapper. I haven’t made up my mind what to do with it just yet.

I walk out in front, I glance back and I feel guilt that I am not helping him with the body, but I could see he was not struggling at all.

Without turning or stopping I speak loud enough so KC can hear me, but I am mindful to not be to loud incase of other potential Techno’s being close by “Just up ahead KC I can see a really dense patch, it’s the perfect place to plonk that feather into.”

1 Like