What Have You Been Watching?

What’s up, guys? I’ve been slowly making my way through classic Star Trek since the start of the year. It might come as a surprise to some of you, but this is actually a voyage I hadn’t gone on before – I’ve seen all three of the 80s/90s era Treks (The Next Generation, Voyager and Deep Space Nine) and a good portion of Enterprise, but never felt like the moment was right for me to tackle the original series… until now

What’s most surreal about watching this series after all this time is that it’s obviously one of, if not the most iconic of science fiction shows and a huge influence on a lot of media in the same genre that came after it. I’ll sit watching it like “Ohhh… That’s what that was a reference to!”… It’s like everything’s… finally falling into place:relieved::ok_hand:

Honestly? I’m actually really, really glad I held off until this year to give it a proper shot because I’m certain my younger self wouldn’t have appreciated it half as much. It’s not without its flaws, of course, but, hey, It’s pretty goddamn progressive for a show from the 60s! More so than some of the garbage the decades that followed spat out. :rolling_eyes:

Fantastic and timeless characters, fascinating (albeit often predictable after years and years of trope-ification) plots and, oooooh, that 60s aesthetic… I’m all here for it, mates. Definitely recommend giving it a go if you’ve enjoyed any other Treks or are just curious. It’s all remastered and up on Netflix, dudes!

Colourful and fun, I give classic Star Trek five stars out of trek! :star::star::star::star::star:

1 Like

I am currently watching The Tribe on amazon. I am on the end of S4. Also on amazon with my friend we are watching Revenge, and are halfway through S2.

Over on Netflix I am struggling with S3 of Riverdale. And have just started S2 of Star Trek Discovery.

And lastly on NowTV I am watching The Handmaids Tale S2 alone, whilst Riviera S2 is being enjoyed with my friend.

1 Like

@Jack Oooh, yesssss! I gotta get onto Discovery once I’m through classic! How far into season two are you? I’ve heard from a lot of people that it’s much better than season one, mostly thanks to certain character introductions… :vulcan_salute::smirk:

… While we’re on the subject of Star Trek, though – Anyone else here watch The Orville? I’m not a fan of… well… any of Seth MacFarlane’s other works… But something about the sci-fi comedy genre tends to appeal to me and I was very, very pleasantly surprised by this series! Not at all what I was expecting! It’s heart-warming, wholesome, hilarious and fantastic! :star_struck:

Packed full of guest stars from the various Star Trek series and, actually, common consensus is that The Orville is more Trekkie than Star Trek: Discovery! I’ve obviously already admitted to not having touched Discovery just yet so I can’t fairly make the comparison myself… but I will say that The Orville definitely has the feel of a Star Trek show… :relieved::ok_hand:

Just look at that beautiful cast! We got an android, baby! An android! If you were wondering when fun, colourful sci-fi was going to come back from the edgy, grey and brown, dystopian sci-fi war, look no further than The Orville! :v::grin:

1 Like

yesssss the new season is starting here and i can’t wait for it

1 Like

S2 ep 2 is where I am with Star Trek Discovery. I have friends say how amazing the 2nd season is.

1 Like

Not even gonna lie – I didn’t have any serious interest in watching Discovery until I saw teaser clips for season 2 of Anson Mount and Rebecca Romjin as Pike and Number One, respectively. That casting is absolutely top notch and I’m so excited to see them in action when I get there. :star_struck:

Ya know… since Discovery is a prequel… It might be interesting for you to check out just the classic Trek episode “The Menagerie”, in which Spock essentially recaps and shows clips from the rejected pilot, “The Cage”, starring Jeffrey Hunter as the original Captain Pike. While it could technically be considered spoilers but I mean, the original Star Trek has been around since the 60s, so… :joy:

The big question of this topic, though, is “What Have You Been Watching?” and I can’t allow myself to respond without answering it yet again –

I am, if it wasn’t already blatantly clear, highly, highly passionate about Star Trek! I already mentioned in the “What Are You Looking Forward To?” topic that I was going to see the Deep Space Nine documentary last night. I did… and it was… AMAZING. :dizzy_face::sparkles:

I mean… I cried, guys. I legitimately cried. I can’t believe I’d forgotten how much that series meant to me?! I knew I loved it but it had been so long since I’d revisited, I’d forgotten how much it made me… feel things… It was a lot to deal with. :sob:

Anyway, as you’ve probably guessed by now, yes, I am starting a rewatch of the best Trek… Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. :v::relieved:

My two weaknesses. Technos and Star Trek. :eyes:

1 Like

I finished watching The Tribe, Then watched the complete Charmed and Just managed to get my hands on the complete Lois and Clark… New adventures of superman… (Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher) I not only feel like a kid again but I forgot how buff Dean Cain actually was :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Recently binging Riverdale, waiting for new seasons of
Lucifer, Brooklynn Nine-Nine, Mom, Young Sheldon and Call the Midwife.

Up to date with The Handmaids tale, The 100, and Agents of Shield.

Currently halfway through season 6 of When Calls the Heart :sweat_smile:

//I’ve taken to watching shows in waiting rooms…// :sweat_smile:

And if I get really bored, Netflix and Lily might win me over to finally watch an episode of Star Trek :joy::joy:

2 Likes

up to date with The 100, Westside, Krypton and Knightfall.

seen Lucifer season 4.

EDIT: have quit doing scripts at series 3 episode 35. might continue but doubtful

2 Likes

I saw the Cobra Kai second season. Seriously hoping there’s a third soon. I think it’s my favorite show at the moment.

Also slowly working my way through The Tribe Season One as well. I’m really re-discovering why it’s my favorite season. There’s a grittiness and uncertainty that makes it heavier and darker than the later episodes. Hard to truly pick a favorite though.

There hasn’t been much time, so I watch less than an episode a day (except in the case of Cobra Kai which was a true binge complete with the insomnia and total disregard for my adult responsibilities).

1 Like

Rewatching season one of The Tribe

The Spanish Princess is good, a nice followup for The White Queen and The White Princess

American Gods season 2

And oddly a bit of That 70s show

Oh and Bandersnatch which is awesome and I can’t seem to finish it in one sitting…yet

omh someone else how knows Spellbinder :heart_eyes:

1 Like

same :slight_smile:

still thinking… there are so much serie i wanted to buy… but not enough space here… atm i try a re-watch the thundercats, but not every episode is aviable

If you know Spellbinder… do you also know sky trackers?

1 Like

yeah i so on love with the Zbych

1 Like

Wait… @Catha why didn’t I know you like Spellbinder?!?

1 Like

oh… now that you said it… i remember — wasn’t there a post on facebook about it and we find out that we both know it???

probably :sweat_smile: you know how my memory can get

thats why you have me :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Watching and up to date with:
The Handmaid’s Tale - while I very much enjoyed the first 2 seasons, this one is dragging abit much for me. Give me the revolution already!
The Waterfords arr both boring and testing my last nerve…and June, oh how are you still alive?
Thankfully there is Moira to watch.

The 100 - loved it and still do. Season 6 might be my new favourite (until recently, my fave was season 2 with peak delinquents)

But Ann, Annie and Catha - ahhh. HIGHER GROUND :heart_eyes:
SO much teenage angst and brooding. I absolutely loved that series and it holds up really well, so I did a rewatch some years ago. Used to hate Shelby and love Juliette, guess what… now I think Shelby is a badass :laughing: and a damn good survivor.
Oh and Joe Lando. What’s not to like.

On and off doing E.R. rewatch, starting season 3 and…12 more seasons to go, but there are big gaps in the continuity with tha one.

That’s about it.

2 Likes